(Topic ID: 278216)

Looking for some selling advice

By curban

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I'm trying to sell a couple of machines for the first time (did one previous trade, but selling is slightly different) and could use some advice. Note: I have several machines listed and the following questions pertain to different machines.

I have multiple decent offers on one pin, and haven't accepted any yet. More than one has already requested to "let me know the highest offer before you make a deal". Intuitively that seems unfair to the other bidders...I'm thinking that I either share all info with everyone and make it more like an auction (which seems a little scummy to me), or I just wait until I'm ready to make a deal and give everyone another chance to make a final bid (blind to any other offers). Other suggestions? Which is best way to handle?

For one pin, I have an interested party who lives too far for in-person pickup. They will arrange pick-up and have offered whatever payment option I feel most comfortable with. The Buyer is a Pinsider for more than 5 years with over 100 ads and over 20 sales listed. I don't run a business and I wouldn't want to setup special accounts for just this one transaction, so what is safest option to receive payment? The individual claims they will wait for payment to clear before arranging pick-up. Is a cashier check maybe the safest?

Also, the request from the Buyer looking to ship is to protect the rails, fold head down and wrap (which is normal), but then they suggested leaving the legs on and balls inside. The latter seems unusual and contrary to anything I've otherwise heard, should that be a red flag? Or is shipping with legs on safe with professional movers/shippers?

#3 3 years ago

It’s always best and easiest to deal with someone local. I think that’s even the case if the offer from a local person is a bit less than the offers from the out of town people. There’s value to certainty and a no hassle transaction. If you have multiple offers, I don’t think there’s any issue with letting everyone know and asking for the best and final offer. That’s assumes you do in fact have multiple offers, which I am sure you do. Just my two cents.

#4 3 years ago

I would just try and be fair about it. Usually first person to contact you with asking price(hopefully local). Pinside is a small community and you will soon learn the benefits of what comes around goes around motto. If you want to get the highest price, probably best to put it on E Pay. I would offer it locally first and if you get tire kickers-sell it out of state. Cash on glass is best but otherwise Cashiers Check after it clears. If you do ship out of state make it the buyers responsibility. Once it leaves your garage, it is on the buyer. I only ship with NAVL(legs on).

#5 3 years ago

Wow! Thanks for pointing out VID's guide.

Everyone else - thanks for the comments.

#6 3 years ago

Pretty straightforward .
    Accept the first offer you're happy with .
    As Pinminster said , cash on the glass is best .
    And never let the pin go out of your possession before you have payment .

#7 3 years ago

Stay in your comfort zone. It's not worth stressing about shipping a game for a few extra bucks if you are not comfortable doing it.

As for the buyer who asked about your best offer, I wouldn't even deal with him. Make an offer or don't.

In the end, cash is always best. I always advise people, if possible, move the games to the garage. Make it easy to get people in and out quickly.

1 week later
    #8 3 years ago
    Quoted from curban:

Wow! Thanks for pointing out VID's guide.
    Everyone else - thanks for the comments.

You are welcome, he spent quite a bit of time on it and think it’s a great start. Certainly others may have additional items to add on this topic as well.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-some-selling-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.