Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by FlaGeek
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I've got a Phantom that sat in storage for a few years and now it's got a couple of problems that I'm hoping someone here can help with. The problems I'm working on are:

- There's a fuse on the flipper board that blows anytime I activate the left flipper.
- After the first ball drains a new ball is not ejected.

For the flipper problem I've looked for mechanical problems and don't see any, but I'm not sure how to test the individual components on the flipper board.

I've tried a number of things for the ball eject problem. Here's what I know:
- In the Active Switch test the only switches that are listed are the Organ Closed (which makes sense), Left VUK 1, and the 3 ball trough switches.
- The edge switch test shows correct behavior for the shooter lane switch, the ball trough switches, and the outhole switch
- When the first ball drains it correctly triggers the solenoid to move the ball to the ball trough

I've reflowed the solder on all of the ball trough switch connections (although I'm not certain I got them all full melted). I haven't seen anything else that fails. All of the other diagnostics look ok to me.

Have any of you seen anything like these? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Don

#2 4 years ago

Hi Don,ok the fuse for that flipper is blowing because a diode on that flipper coil is Bad/shorted.Test the diodes on that flipper coil remember you must remove one leg of the diode to get an accurate reading on meter.Or it can be a shorted/bad transistor that controls that flipper coil.
Ok the drain switch when the ball drains is it registering in the switch test?That switch most likely needs to be adjusted if problem persists then that switch is bad/faulty and will need to be replaced.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks, Mike. I'll check the flipper diode and transistor over the weekend.

I think the drain switch is ok. It registers off until I press it in the switch test. In game play when the ball drains the solenoid fires to move it from the drain to the ball trough. Each of the ball trough switches tests ok in the switch test using my finger or a ball. The problem is that instead of ejecting a ball to the shooting lane it goes into ball search mode. When the game starts the first ball is ejected fine. Are there ways the ball trough switches can be bad that don't show up in these tests?

#4 4 years ago

Always use a ball not your fingers,Ok the ball drain switch is registering how about the shooter lane switch is it registering properly?Switches last a very long time and in most cases they just need a bit of adjusting.But some switches over a long period of time tend to start becoming faulty/flaky..If you look closely at the switch you will see a small white tab,That tab when pushed in you can hear a clicking sound but over time dirt/gunk builds up on that tab and stays in the active/down position.Its always good to replace a switch with a new one,It inexpensive and very easy to do.

#5 4 years ago

Some progress. I tested the transistors on the flipper board as you suggested and identified the TIP32C and TIP36C that controlled the left flipper were both bad. It took a few days for parts to arrive, but I've replaced those now and the flipper is working again.

I've tested the diodes and switches for the ball trough, shooter lane, and ball drain. Everything passes all the tests I can find. If there's really nothing else that would explain this behavior I think the next step is to replace them just assuming that the tests aren't detecting the problem.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from FlaGeek:

Some progress. I tested the transistors on the flipper board as you suggested and identified the TIP32C and TIP36C that controlled the left flipper were both bad. It took a few days for parts to arrive, but I've replaced those now and the flipper is working again.
I've tested the diodes and switches for the ball trough, shooter lane, and ball drain. Everything passes all the tests I can find. If there's really nothing else that would explain this behavior I think the next step is to replace them just assuming that the tests aren't detecting the problem.

So the problem your still having is the ball drain switch ending that ball in play(Ball search) and going on to next ball?

#7 4 years ago

Right. The first ball is ejected to the shooter lane when the game starts. Once I play a ball and it drains the ball moves from the ball drain to the trough. At that point the game delays a few seconds then goes into ball search.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from FlaGeek:

Right. The first ball is ejected to the shooter lane when the game starts. Once I play a ball and it drains the ball moves from the ball drain to the trough. At that point the game delays a few seconds then goes into ball search.

Ok then the shooter lane is the switch that needs adjustment.lift up the playfield and screw in that switch a bit tighter so it goes up a bit higher in the shooter lane.Power off first

2 weeks later
#9 4 years ago

To find out what is wrong with the ball not kicking out, do coil test to see if coil fires. Then do switch test to see how the ball trough switches reach. This will lead you in the correct direction.

7 months later
#10 3 years ago

Finally got back to this and found the solution. The key problem was the Left VUK 1 switch being stuck. Apparently the software interpreted that as meaning that a ball was in the VUK so it wouldn't launch a new ball. Once that was resolved the machine is working fine.

Thanks for your help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-some-help-with-phantom-of-the-opera and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.