apollo13-edharris (resized).jpg
driver board (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
C5322A3D-16B4-4883-9FAD-0FBE8BA3C03E (resized).jpeg
FB19B714-A27F-45BF-ACCB-226D8FCB641F (resized).jpeg
picture2 (resized).png
untitled (resized).png
Screenshot at 2018-01-12 04-57-57 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hd_fatboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

All my current games are EM. So brand new to SS so be gentle on me.

I picked up a Stellar Wars pin last week, so I am new to SS. It had the piece in the cabinet where the back box attaches broke. I made a new piece, and when I did I took the playfield out of the pin and put on saw horses to disassemble for cleaning and waxing, and to go over to look for anything wrong.

I put everything back together, and when I switched on the pin all the playfield lights were flashing all around and such. I assume this is normal some type of light test.

I pressed the start button and one pop bumper stuck on ( cant figure this out, these were all dissembled for cleaning and appeared to be free on movement)

Any way shut down pin right away so I wouldn't burn up coil. Took apart pop and reassembled to make sure it is free. Now when I press start, nothing happens, nothing on playfield activates and scores, flippers don't work. Press start nothing happens, I can not get into diagnostics, and or settings.

There is a yellow wire with a diode or resistor hanging from coin door it looks like its from on coin switch. there is two green with brown stripe wires tied together not connected that looks like it went to the score reset switch, this switch is broke where it looks like these wires may have been. Wires are still soldered to the small tab. I can not find these switches or these colored wires on my schematic. but it looks like that's where these wires were at one time.

Player one has points, all others are at zero. I have the back glass off so the other two displays have 03 00. don't know if this helps at all.

Sorry for the long post, but I am looking for a starting point on how to trouble shoot the issues.

Thanks in Advance!

#3 6 years ago

Forgot to mention, All fuses checked out OK.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks Buzz, I will check things out tonight after work and post back.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Brypten:

Check your solenoid fuse. Also, it sounds like you are booting up into Audit mode. There are a few causes for this, most likely culprit is bad and/or dead batteries. Open your coin door and turn the game on, then off and back on. It should boot up. Good luck!

Thanks, I will check this out also!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Which pop is sticking on?

Top Left hand POP I do not know the number. Being I have EM's, I checked the contacts under the playfield.

Quoted from wayout440:

then proceed to test the coils drive transistor/circuit.

As I said, I am very new to SS machines.
How do you test the coils drive transistor/circuit?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

So just to be certain: You checked the spoon switch with a DMM for high resistance when the switch is open?
Top left is solenoid #19 according to the manual. Drive transistor Q6.
To test: Game power off. Remove connector 2J12 (prevents skewed reading from playfield coil) Set DMM to diode position. Put the black lead of your DMM on the center lead or on the metal tab of the transistor. Put the red lead of your DMM on each of the two outside legs of the transistor. You should get a reading of .4 to .6 volts. Any other value, and the transistor is bad and will need to be replaced.

Like I said, first SS game and I have tons too learn!!!! I only checked the opening and closing of the switch contacts. I will be getting the DMM out after work. Thanks again everyone for your help, I will post back how O make out!

#13 6 years ago

I replaced the batteries, and now I can get into diagnostics, lots of failed solenoid and switch tests failed.

#14 6 years ago

The main thing happening that makes trouble shooting more difficult is,,,,,The right top pop bumper coil is being pulled in and scoring and not releasing. The switches under the pop bumper are not made when this happens.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from mswhat:

If you need pictures of anything Stellar Wars related let me know.

Thanks I appreciate that

#18 6 years ago

Hi wayout, thanks again for the help, problem is right now I can not do switches first because top right pop bumper is constantly firing. It pulses as soon as you get into the switch test mode, or when you try to start a game. Should I take one lead off the coil for now and do the switch test?

Also three of the drop targets solenoids are not working. All the coils are brand new, the person I purchased the pin from just had them installed.

#20 6 years ago

Thanks Buzz!

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Wayout440 is correct you need to check those transistors after your done playing with your switches. If one is bad the coil will lock up again. Very good advice mentioned above.

Thanks Wayout, What is the testing procedure for new coils that are not firing?

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Did you get the switch problems resolved and coil transistors tested? Once that's done, fix the locking on problem.
Then, the next step would be to tackle non working coils.

Hi wayout, I am at work now, be home around 6:00pm. I will post my results when I test further. Thanks for checking!

#28 6 years ago

I have some failed switches, they are making contact, I really am at a lost now on how to fix some of these things. top right bumper is fine until the coil is fired then it stays energized.

#30 6 years ago

Here is something I noticed, The items with the white and yellow colored coils are the items not working correctly.
The items with the orange colored coils are working correctly.

The previous owner just put on the white and yellow coils.

#31 6 years ago

My pictures did not show up I will try again

#33 6 years ago

untitled (resized).pnguntitled (resized).png

picture2 (resized).pngpicture2 (resized).png

#35 6 years ago

Does it matter if the numbers don't match exactly? I tried to search and find the videos but no luck.

#38 6 years ago

Thanks

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Stop, please.
Slow down.
Coil part numbers are listed in the manual in the solenoid chart.
There are several different coils in this game...so the part numbers so matter.
Did this game ever work in your possesion?

Hi Wayout, The game never fully worked in my possession. The things that did not work are the items with the yellow white coils in my pics,

#41 6 years ago

I watched the videos, but sorry They did not help me much, I think because my game is nothing like them.????????

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

So did you check to see if coils are correct for your pin? Did you check to see if you have voltage at coils? I thought the videos would help as a reference on troubleshooting.

The videos were mostly changing bad molex plugs. I don't have material to see what are the correct coils...still looking...but if you look at my pics, the coils that work are SG=23 850 DC the coils that don't seem to work are SA=23-850 I do not know if the letter makes a difference or not.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Those are the proper coils. Now time to test for power to them and let me know if you have power at the coil.

Sorry I am dumb, but how should I test for power at the coils?

#49 6 years ago

I guess the SS games are harder than I thought, EM.s seem easier

#50 6 years ago

Ok, I read in a thread in here that you could force the coils to fire by putting a jumper from one of the coil lugs to ground. I did this test, and the coils fired. do I need to figure out where the wiring goes?

#51 6 years ago

I notice looking at the schematic, All the items not working go to the same plug on the driver board. Can anyone help me on what I should do next?

#52 6 years ago

Does anyone happen to have a picture or drawing of how the wires are on the right 3 drop down bank? I do not thing mine is correct. one orange wire was broke off.

Thanks!

#53 6 years ago

Still looking for some help please

#55 6 years ago

Thanks mswhat!

#56 6 years ago

Here is one thing I noticed when trying to figure out things. When the 4 bank center target needs to reset, the top center pop bumper is firing. I cant figure out wiring colors on my schematic to check things are wired correctly.

When I do the diagnostics on the main board, the two red led's flash twice and go out. according to the manual that means my boards and chips are OK, is this correct?

On another note, should I replace the printed circuit boards on the drop targets to the new ones that are out there now?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am very new to this so bear with me.

#57 6 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on my questions above?

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Run the solenoid test in diagnostics (instructions in the manual) and see if during solenoid test, the correct solenoids (and only one at a time) are firing according to the numbered list of solenoids that should be in the manual. That will tell you if everything is wired up correctly.
The replacement drop target boards are nice but you really only need those if your originals are worn out (deep tracks in the board from the wiper). If they are not badly worn, clean up the traces on your existing board with some metal polish or fine sand paper, clean the wiper contacts with metal polish (replace any worn/broken wipers), wash the metal polish residue off with alcohol and reassemble. Out of the 10 drop target bank sets I have restored in the last couple years, I have not found any that were worn out and needed replacing. I have had to replace a few of the wiper contacts (worn or the arms were broken or not springy anymore).

Thanks for your reply. I did not have a reply for a while, so I ordered the new boards.(oh well) when I do the solenoid test, the only drop targets that worked was the 3 target left side bank. middle four and right three are not resetting, how ever they do score.

I have been searching and reading everything I can find on how to trouble shoot. since I bought the boards, I am going to put them on this weekend, but I agree, they may not fix the issue. I did take apart the right bank and cleaned everything like you posted, but I have not tested it yet because of time constraints. I will know more this weekend.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

If you want to test before your board gets here, attach a piece of wire to ground (the ground braid screw is good for this) and touch the metal tab of the solenoid transistor you want to test. If the solenoid activates, you know your power, wiring and coil are good. If it still does not fire, you have a problem with your power, wiring or coil and the new board will not solve this.

I jumped one lug on the coil to ground on all coils and they all activate. Is this what you are referring to?

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

No. He is referring to locating the driver transistor on the driver board and grounding the tab of that, which completes the path from power-->coil-->ground. The transistor is the "switch" that allows current to flow (Grounding the tab does not test the transistor itself)

Thanks a million!!!!That's why I have been searching and searching for guides. I cant find any with maybe a picture on how to do this. One thing bad, I have seen other examples of pics of boards and they will be labeled like Q24 Q12 etc. there are no numbers on my boards that I can see, unless they are on the other sides.

does anyone one have a pic on where to put the test leads and what the transistor looks like> sorry for the dumb question but I seen some where these items were called different things. I do not want to screw up my boards.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You really need to download a copy of the schematics, the board layouts are in there.
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2372/Williams_1979_Stellar_Wars_Schematics_paginated.pdf

Will do, Thanks again!

#67 6 years ago

Well, I think I am totally screwed now. I was running tests

Q2 Fired Left Kicker
Q4 Fired Lower Left Pop
Q6 Fired Top Left Pop
Q8 Fired Top Right Pop
Q10 Fired Top Center Pop
Q12 Fired Right Kicker
Q15 Fired Out Hole
Q17 Fired Left Drop Target
Q19 Fired Kickout Hole
Q21 Fired Left Center Drop Target
Q23 Fired Right Center Drop Target
Q25 Fired Right Drop Target
Q27 Nothing I could See
Q29 Nothing I could See
Q31 Sound
Q33 Sound

I did not make it to the last row because I could smell something hot. I immeditly shut down and lifted playfield.
The bottom right Pop Coil was hot and smoking a little. I then looked at driver board and it did not look good.

I think Q27 or Q29 is for this pop, but I can not trace that in the schematics. funny thing is, coil was hot but not activated?????

Can I repair the driver board or do I need a new one?

driver board (resized).pngdriver board (resized).png

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Anything is repairable, it's a question of how much time and money you want to put into it. You do want to play some pinball in the near future, right? That board is going to need a lot of parts and time put into it. If it were me, I'd look to replace at this point.

thanks for your reply Wayout

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Need a closeup picture of the solenoid transistor area to assess the repairability of that board. Would be good to see the back of the board in that area too.
I thought you said you already ordered new boards???
The hot coil was likely the result of a failed, shorted transistor. Simple and cheap to replace.
There is a nice table on page 29 of the manual that lists all the solenoids, the color of wire used and the transistor number that drives it.
Q27 is the Bottom Right Pop
Q29 is the Flash Lamps
Since Q27 is probably failed shorted, that coil is active all the time, is why it got hot and why you didn't notice any activity when you grounded it.

I ordered boards for the drop targets, I am going to purchase some transistors and resistors and give it a go way cheaper than a new driver board)
I found in the schematics the part numbers and descriptions.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Replace both the driver and the predriver transistors. Often when the driver transistor fails, the predriver can fail too.

I purchased both, I will update when I get the parts and try this. wish me luck!

#74 6 years ago

I have a Time Warp driver board coming in case my repairs do not work. The boards look the same, anything I should know about using the Time Warp board in my Stellar Wars?

#75 6 years ago

Hi everyone, I installed the Time Warp board. Nothing stuck on, nothing getting hot, and no blown fuses.

However I now do not have any score lights, and no game over so I can not get into diagnostics mode.

I can fire all the solenoids by grounding transistors to ground.
both red leds are lit on MPU.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks in advance.

#76 6 years ago

Can Anyone Help? Please

#78 6 years ago

All the lights are working on the playfield, all the lights in the back box are working. the score displays are not. If I press the diagnostic button in back box, I get every other digit lit in the score displays

#80 6 years ago

I will continue to check out these things mentioned. Thanks all.

#81 6 years ago

I replaced the 40 pin female connector on the Time Warp board. I put my old board in just to see if my score displays would come back and they did.
But it has too many other issues.

One thing I noticed on the Time Warp board the large brown resistors on the lower right of the board are getting hot, could that be the problem?
I could take the ones of the original board and put on time warp?

I can take the PIA's off the original board but the Time warp board does not seem to be socketed, ???????

#82 6 years ago

Anyone have a driver board for sale, cant afford some of the ones I found online.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

The brown resistors on the lower right of the driver board are part of the lamp matrix and get very hot unless you modded the board with MOSFETS, then they stay cool.
I'm having a hard time following what you are saying. The top board is the CPU board and the bottom one is the driver board.
You bought only a new driver board.
With the new driver board, everything lights up but not the score displays.
With the old driver board, the displays work but several other things do not.
Is this correct?

That's correct, The board I bought was not a new board, it was a used board from a Time Warp.
The Time Warp lights everything up but the score displays, it works the same as when there is no board installed.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

How can all the inserts light in attract when there is no "board" (I assume you are referring to the driver board) installed? Please be more specific. What board and what lights? GI only?

I am very sorry, I meant it works the same as far as the score displays go, with or with out driver board, two red led's on CPU board lit and no score displays.
If I press the diagnostics button on CPU board I get every other digit on display.

If I put in original board I get scoring displays correctly.

#87 6 years ago

I ordered some mosfets as per vids guide, if it still don't work, I will have to try to find a new board.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

To be clear, the MOSFETS are not going to solve anything with the displays or the problems you are chasing. It will only reduce the heat generated by the lamp matrix that run the insert lights.
So when you install the original driver board, does the game boot up into attract mode (flashing inserts and high score alternating with 000000)?

Yes it does, some of the coils fire, I can not leave it on long cause some of the transistors are over heating. The only item I could not get to work when testing is the flash lamps under the playfield (2) and the center drop targets will not reset, and the right drop targets will not reset, and the right bottom pop bumper scores points but coil does not fire.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

It sounds like something on the "new" driver board is corrupting the CPU address or data bus or some other common signals.
On your original driver board, sounds like you need some transistors replaced.
In either case, both your driver boards need repair and testing.

I agree, I replaced 5 of the transistors already, Do you know what to look for when they get hot? The 5 I replaced are OK. Its like the heat moves around, I know that probably sounds dumb, but I am when it comes to these SS games.

#92 6 years ago

I am going to concentrate my efforts on repairing the original board for now.

1 week later
#93 6 years ago

Hi all
I just got a rebuilt board from EBay. It seemed to make every thing work that was not working befor. Mainly pop bumpers and drop targets resets. I am not sure how this pin works exactly. So here is what I noticed. Hitting some pop bumpers activates other ones and drop target resets. Is this normal?

#94 6 years ago

Should I start a new post for this?

#96 6 years ago

I will check that later today thanks

#97 6 years ago

I tried what you said and some items still reset drop targets some pop bumpers and two stand up targets I am seeing now. Maybe it’s supposed to be that way????? There is the same colored wires tie these items together.

#99 6 years ago

Will do

#100 6 years ago

Ok by watching the you tube I don’t think my game is working right. Does anyone know when you put in a new driver board if you should reset the MPU? I don’t have s clue on how to fix this issue.

#102 6 years ago

They all work correctly in test mode

#104 6 years ago

I will do this later and post my results

#105 6 years ago

Here is the results from the switch test I am listing the ones that are not correct

14, bottom left jet bumper
14,6,22,30,38,46,& 54

24, upper top left standup
6,24,22,30,38,46, & 54

38, right bulls eye target
38,,6,22,24,30,38,46, & 54

46, top right jet bumper

54, 4 bank series

After the 4 bank drop targets drop the machine is humming like something is stuck on

Natuarly if I reach in through the coin door and lift up on the drop target to reset the right two, the humming stops.

#106 6 years ago

Number 6. Coin door doing the same thing. No switches stuck when tests start. Can any one please help. Thanks.

#108 6 years ago

I will check it out. Thanks!

#109 6 years ago

Wire colors match the switch matrix chart, what do I look for next?

#111 6 years ago

Thanks wayout440, I will do the tests tonight after work, and post my results.

#112 6 years ago

Ok, before I start these jumper tests I just take my jumper wire and touch a pin on the row section and a pin on the column pin right on the board. Is this correct. I don’t want to mess up anything so I am looking for clarification

#113 6 years ago

Ok I did the jumper test it only gave me one switch number for each pin and they were correct. So back to switch tests. No mater which switch in row 6 I activate, it shows all row 6 switches cycling through the display. I don’t know what to do next.

#114 6 years ago

Anyone?

#117 6 years ago

First off, thanks for your continued help with this pin.

Quoted from wayout440:

Start with the common switch matrix problem causes anyway to rule them out.

Not sure what you mean by common switch matrix problem

Quoted from wayout440:

Inspect each of the offending switch diodes, better if you can lift and desolder each diode at one end to measure with diode test on a meter and then resolder. This will check for cracked or leaky diodes and poor solder joints in the process. I'd also check for shorted or partially shorted switches with a meter while giving that switch attention.

What is the procedure for checking shorted or partially shorted switches with a meter?

Quoted from wayout440:

Another thing you can try is to disconnect the column wire(s) one at a time and when you disconnect the column wires retest the flakey row switches. In theory, only the switch you disconnect should be disabled in that row, if all the shorted switches still show up then you move to the next switch. Hopefully, one of the row switches disconnected will allow the others to work normally

I can do this.

#119 6 years ago

Thanks! That is very good information!

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Following this Thread to the Bitter End!

I hope it doesn't turn out to be bitter, I need it to be sweet!

#123 6 years ago

Last night I working on machine, and with the playfield up I was leaning on right side metal side rail for the glass and I could feel the tingling of electricity through my forearms. could this be causing my problem? some type of short? I guess I should of tried left side, but didn't think of it until now.

Its a little confusing considering nothing electrical appears to be touching the rail, its mounted to the wood with a ground strap under the head.

#125 6 years ago

Ok for anyone still following this thread I made big progress the items in the in row 6 (blue and white wire) are not firing together. Each item is working as should. But now row 4 yellow and white are not working at all. Right coin switch (which don’t matter on free play). A rollover. 3 roll over. Top right stand up. Left 3 bank stand up. Right kicker. 4 bank right center. I put my new boards on the center drop targets which has yellow white on 4 bank right center. I double and triple checked thes solder connections because that’s the only yellow white wires I touched. If there is something wrong here, would that affect the other items in the row? If I connected the two white yellow wires at the 4 bank right center would that make the other items work? Really lost again but this far I don’t want to give up.

#127 6 years ago

I will try that

#128 6 years ago

I have continuity

#129 6 years ago

When I go into switch test 4,20,22,28,36,44 and 52 show on the display.

#130 6 years ago

22 is because of captive ball forgot to take it out

#131 6 years ago

I went back to the jumper test row 4 is not working what to do now?

#133 6 years ago

I have a logic probe but no sure how to use it, can anyone help me with that? I have extra transistors

#134 6 years ago

Ok. I see what you mean on my schematic IC 15. Correct? I hat soldering these things with all these legs. Should I go ahead a nd try to change it?

#135 6 years ago

Driver board is working. Switches in row 4 still do not work. Think I will fill full of contact cleaner and light it up.

#138 6 years ago

Do you have a place and part number for the socket? I think the driver board is working now but still can’t figure out why the switches still don’t work.

#141 6 years ago

Great News !!!!!!

Stellar Wars 100% working correctly finally!

I bought a 40 pin straight IC socket on Flea Bay for a couple bucks, snapped it into two 8 pin rows. Soldered them to board, inserted a 4049 chip I had, and Bam, it worked!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hd_fatboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-some-help-on-williams-stellar-wars?tu=hd_fatboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.