5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

LEDS.jpg
    Pink.jpg
    opmax blue.jpg
    20131102_171611.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I have tried several brands of LEDS but none of them seem to have a very saturated deep purple color. The ones I have tried are very close to the color pink. Have any of had success finding a rich purple led? If so which company sells them?

#2 5 years ago

Which ones have you tried? Cointaker's a bit more pastel/lighter (closer to Pink)...but I found Pinball Life's "flat top" purples to be a deeper/richer purple.

#3 5 years ago

have you tried the "UV" bulbs? those seem to put out a deeper purple.

#4 5 years ago

get with Art at cometpinball.com I used a handful of his purple bulbs in my metallica and they are a nice shade.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

have you tried the "UV" bulbs? those seem to put out a deeper purple.

+1 Cointaker UV bulbs show as a true purple in the machines I've put then in.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Which ones have you tried? Cointaker's a bit more pastel/lighter (closer to Pink)...but I found Pinball Life's "flat top" purples to be a deeper/richer purple.

Agreed. Ablaze bulbs are quite purpley. The ablaze threes and f'ing brites as well as the singles.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from kcpinchip:

+1 Cointaker UV bulbs show as a true purple in the machines I've put then in.

Absolutely true, but very little light throw when used it GI. Are they brighter in inserts?

#8 5 years ago

I got some UV LIGHTS FROM SOMEWHERE. But it doesn't put out very much light. I wish I could remember where I got them

#9 5 years ago

I'm using them under the plastic separators between the rollover lanes. They are a deep purple, and look great in my opinion, but certainly not super bright.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Absolutely true, but very little light throw when used it GI. Are they brighter in inserts?

I've only used them in inserts.... sorry

#11 5 years ago

We'll. I bought a bunch to use in GI to try and bring out glow properties in the playfield...and didn't like them because of their dimness. I'll try them in an insert.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Which ones are the flat top purple , these?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1881

#13 5 years ago

No, those are concave. Same ablaze one led but with flat top.

#14 5 years ago

Is my Woz not purpely enough for the purple club? Purple.....purple.....

20131102_171611.jpg
    #15 5 years ago

"Is my Woz not purpely enough for the purple club? Purple.....purple...."
    Master of disguise, one of my favorite Dana carvey movies

1 week later
    #16 5 years ago

So after a little research I would say Niftey LED, Pinballbulbs, and Comet all seem to be the same shade of purple. I have some Ablaze on order and I will be ordering some from Cointaker to round out the test. I will report my findings when they get in.

#17 5 years ago

I can tell you that Cointaker's #44 purple seemed too be different than the flex ones - sorry I don't remember which was deeper and I don't have them anymore to check.

#18 5 years ago

I am working on Purples, I do not like any that are available. UV does not put out enough light. If i discover something that works i will send to one of the suppliers to do there thing.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

I am working on Purples, I do not like any that are available. UV does not put out enough light. If i discover something that works i will send to one of the suppliers to do there thing.

So far I would have to agree with this. The purples that I have found are almost a pink purple, and the one batch of UVs were very dim even though they were super brights. If you are successful please let me know.

#20 5 years ago

UV is tricky, we know what we would like to see but a Single SMD can only put out so much light, and the
    distance needed to UV the material, as well as the material/paint itself.

At this time I am proto and testing the following in UV.

Any and all UV paint I could find. Invisible, high quality and color change.

The new bulbs being tested in UV are a 5 SMD tower, a 9 SMD tower, a 13 SMD Tower, 12V and some 6.3V,
    and a Flexible 8 SMD at both Voltages.

I am slammed with Holiday and regular orders, but should have a post over Christmas break, with at least some of these that are in house at this time.

For the Purple Bulb question, certainly any kelvin Adjustment will make it redder or more Blue, but in general,
    I have seen only slight variations in 3 SMD purple in the Market.

However, with other construction, there are other results.

As an example a Flux LED, I have as surplus in Purple. it is a 5 SMD that looks bluish to UV,
    a great look, but a short throw of light. Worth a try, but in Flux, purple is different.

In Pinball Life and Cointakers 3 LED and 4 LED, a more pastel purple is produced.

In our Op Max, which will return next month, the purple is insane, and brighter then anything in the market.

We are testing our 6 LED Fan which sets them at 45 degree angles, for another look.

So there are several choices, depending on what you are looking for,

In addition our 4/4 8 SMD GI bulb and our 4+1 Tower in Purple are in production.

That makes 8 different choices of throw, brightness, and 3 colors.

I only have a picture of blue at this time,

Art
    cometpinball

opmax blue.jpg

#21 5 years ago

I will also agree about the Ablaze flat top or frosted flat top purples as being pretty nice.

edit : Now that I think of it, I should actually add - I have seen some variance in these bulbs between orders - some have definitely been more purple than others - heads up!

#22 5 years ago

i said it before ... the UVs are the only true purple light i've seen. it's true they're not as bright as other LEDs, but at least they're not pink.

#23 5 years ago

The Ablaze 3's from PBL are the deepest purple I have used, the problem I have with them, is they don't put out enough light for my taste. The SMD 4's that many vendors sell is much brighter, but does come off looking more pink, as does the CT frosted.....my 2 cents

#24 5 years ago

I'm getting the same problems with blues, but not to the same extent. I noticed in my BSD which I used supers under the lane guides and slings seemed a little turquoise'ish, but the same blues I have always used I thought from CT. The two upper slings lights shine through the holes for the proto plastics, so I changed those to frosted CT, and wow, those are blue blue, and you can see a big difference around those compared to the rest of the blues in that area.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

In our Op Max, which will return next month, the purple is insane, and brighter then anything in the market.

Let us know when they are available.

#26 5 years ago

ETA is Jan 20th as of now, before the Holidays in the East.

#27 5 years ago

So I just got in the Ablaze 3 led and the 4smd. In my opinion the 3 led does have the best color of all of the lights I have tried so far but they aren't very bright. The 4 smd is plenty bright, and does look different than the 3 led. The purple is better than most of the others I have tried, but they still are not that violet purple color that I am looking for though.

#28 5 years ago

Man, that's a lot of work for the perfect purple

#29 5 years ago

The Ablaze 4's would be the closest to a true purple that I have used and are bright. The 3's are nice, but as you stated, they are not bright enough, especially inserts. Where are you looking to put these purple ones?

#30 5 years ago

Right now in the Iron Monger inserts on IM. But also as accent colors on various games. I think a true purple could bring out some nice effects on various games. In stage lighting they use dichroic mirrors and the purple it creates is awesome. Maybe leds will get there some day.

The real quest has been to find a warm white that looks incandecent but I just dont think they exist. Close but no cigar.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

ETA is Jan 20th as of now, before the Holidays in the East.

I will be trying these for sure.

11 months later
    #32 4 years ago

Hmm, after buying a MET and NF, I'm also looking for a good purple..Anyone tried the purple from Titan pinball yet?

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Agreed. Ablaze bulbs are quite purpley. The ablaze threes and f'ing brites as well as the singles.

and the opti-flux (not the OpMax) from Comet are nice and magenta/purple. Beautiful. Similar to the ablaze.

#34 4 years ago

Twin 2835 Have been Sampled and our next step coming in Proto are These, with a purple Lens....

The Concept of a "Good" Purple usually means you want a dark puuuuuurple.
    Inherently impossible with a single Doped Diode.

So Resin Diodes are Pinkish
    SMD in all Sizes are darker, but not the dark purple in ones imagination.
    Op-Max Purple is the brightest diffused purple, and darker in the ring area of light, but as it disperses, it gets lighter...Normal for light.
    The Optix, or Super Flux Piranha, is a very different beast too, and is a medium light purple, but of uniform intensity,

Only with a colored lens will it be possible to darken.

Certainly everyone is free to disagree, but I think in Time, Money, and Product, I have over
    invested in this "Dark Purple Unicorn".

I hope the Purple Lens will make people happy, as I cannot come up with any other method, other then very tight blending of GB bulbs

Art

Here is a picture of our Pink Prototype....It is a very nice saturation...

Pink.jpg
    #35 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Twin 2835 Have been Sampled and our next step coming in Proto are These, with a purple Lens....
    The Concept of a "Good" Purple usually means you want a dark puuuuuurple.
    Inherently impossible with a single Doped Diode.
    So Resin Diodes are Pinkish
    SMD in all Sizes are darker, but not the dark purple in ones imagination.
    Op-Max Purple is the brightest diffused purple, and darker in the ring area of light, but as it disperses, it gets lighter...Normal for light.
    The Optix, or Super Flux Piranha, is a very different beast too, and is a medium light purple, but of uniform intensity,
    Only with a colored lens will it be possible to darken.
    Certainly everyone is free to disagree, but I think in Time, Money, and Product, I have over
    invested in this "Dark Purple Unicorn".
    I hope the Purple Lens will make people happy, as I cannot come up with any other method, other then very tight blending of GB bulbs
    Art
    Here is a picture of our Pink Prototype....It is a very nice saturation...

Pink.jpg 32 KB

Sounds like you're about to make my wife happy. We want different colors for each diamond on the Congo playfield...for a second I thought I was gonna have to leave some of the colored incadescent in...Art to the rescue lol

#36 4 years ago

I don't know what comes standard in the MONGER inserts on IM VE, but they are a really nice, deep purple.

#37 4 years ago

They Are White Bulbs (Twin 2835, CT with original game) with a Purple Plastic Insert...hence the reason for a Purple Lens...

Quoted from Frax:

Sounds like you're about to make my wife happy. We want different colors for each diamond on the Congo playfield...for a second I thought I was gonna have to leave some of the colored incadescent in...Art to the rescue lol

I missed responding to your other post Frax.....I have you covered...
    We are testing Purple First, before we add other colors.....

Art

#38 4 years ago

Sounds good to me. Got a bunch of use for purple bulbs right now, actually . Congo alone has five specifically purple inserts.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bohdi:

The Ablaze 4's would be the closest to a true purple that I have used and are bright. The 3's are nice, but as you stated, they are not bright enough, especially inserts. Where are you looking to put these purple ones?

I'm going to order these and then the Titan ones and I will post pics. The regular CT and Comet ones are pink at best. I know there are good purple ones out there, I've seen pics.
    LEDS.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 89.00
    Boards
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 87.00
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.99
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 275.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside