Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by gdonovan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hul1gn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 3 years ago

These guys all know their stuff.....

best advice I can add for a new em trainee technician/owner....

*waves two fingers in arc pattern*
    "this is not the faulty relay you are looking for"

Might be just my bad luck for the last 15 yrs but....
    Its never the easy fix, easy access "quick adjustment with a leaf tool" relay contact..... its the last one on the chain of switches on your faulty circuit.... the one that doesn't even look like its part of the faulty circuit in the schematics..... the one that's the biggest pain to get to... behind the most ceased screws to slip your flathead off of and gouge a finger....the one that has no contact surface left and needs replacing.....
    and that's after you've fixed all the other 120 leaf switches and mastered reading complex schematics.....

properly caring for an em is going to be work.
    Seen too many good projects abandoned or worse, destroyed because the owner wasn't ready for or aware of whats in store.
    but its HIGHLY rewarding to play a smooth one, especially when you made it so.

just be ready for some grubby knuckles and popped brain cells is all.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

I think the weirdest problem I ever had was on my first machine. 500 point rollover switch would cause the score motor to go in perpetual motion. Eventually got around to checking the voltage on the 500 pt relay and there was nothing there yet the relay was still engaged causing the score motor to spin. being that it was 40 years old the armature had become magnetized which was causing the problem. took the relay apart and took the armature to the buffer hoping that the static electricity would demagnetize it. It worked ....problem solved. Hul1gn is right after you fix it , it will be highly rewarding, for a second you will feel like Wily E Coyote "Super Genius"

I would say it was most likely demagnetized by the oscillating emf fields generated by the buffers induction motor itself... tricky problem that magnetized/sticking relay. Iv'e had plenty of score motors perpetually spin due to a stuffed or bent zero switch but not a relay... unusual one, well done finding that!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hul1gn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-some-advice-from-those-with-experience-on-em?tu=Hul1gn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.