Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Geocab
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I'm troubleshooting my Raven A6 sound board, and am thinking about just replacing the whole unit with a Raspberry Pi setup, and in doing so I'm planning on doing some fun alternative sound versions. So if anyone knows where I can get the Raven sounds, or good alternative sound files (bombs, guns, explosions) or awesome callouts (think Arnold Schwarzenegger, Apocolypse Now for serious ones, or Tropic Thunder for fun ones) please let me know.

Thanks! Will post videos of results, should be interesting.

#2 8 years ago

Womp womp no love for Raven. I've found some great sites for movie sounds (movie-sounfs.org) that I'll be using for callouts. Free dramatic music seems easy to come by.

If anyone knows specifically what the 31 sounds are defined as that would be a huge help (i.e. extra ball, sniper music, etc)

#3 8 years ago

Small (pinball) world. I'm doing the same on my 80b. I suggest using an Arduino over the Pi. The Pi is great but it is WAY more computing power than you need for a simple receiving-and-translating of the 5 sound lines. With the serial communication you can easily control the Sparkfun/Robertsonics WavTrigger. When my sketch (Arduino code/program) is completed, I'd be more than happy to share it with you.

As for mapping the sounds, there are a couple options. First, using the route I plan on going (Arduino+WT), program the WT to have 31 tracks/sounds that simply say "one, "two", etc. Then go through and manually trigger the sounds one at a time and keep track of what sounds are played. In this method, it will help great deal if you know the order of sounds generated when starting a game (coin up, start, launch, everything up until switches are being hit mid-game).

From talking to another PSmember whose name I forget but they started a thread about custom 80b sounds with a RaspPi, the "one, two three" sound track method has its cons. So another method which is the route I am going is this: http://www.beerorkid.com/pin/Gottlieb%20Sys80/s80sound.htm
May have some useful info regarding your previous problem, though the info mostly pertains to 80/A, a lot of it is transferable to 80b. Scroll down to find the TEST JIG
Of course, this requires having a working soundboard. IIRC from your previous thread, your board doesn't boot up correctly but once the machine is on, the soundboard works correctly if you manually hit the reset button. If so, this could work for you.

As far as finding someone who already has the sounds mapped.. doubtful.. I mean, you are talking about a Raven

Another option, when I am done with my project, Ill sell you my 80b soundboard. Or I'm sure you could procure one on your own. They do pop up on eBay now and then.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the insight! I was planning on doing the same "one two three" method but it was worth a shot in the dark. Hopefully the 80bs have some kind of commonality.

Agree raspi is overkill, but I'm very familiar with them so I just wanted to start with a known entity. Also I'll have the ability to hop on wifi and load up new sound sets. Would love to share ideas and schematics as we continue. I've got all my parts ordered

2 weeks later
#5 8 years ago

@mr2xbass getting anywhere on your soundboard? I got the code working yesterday playing music,etc, just need to solder up my board when I get a chance. Hopefully will be done by end of next week.

#6 8 years ago

Nice! Good to hear. I am working on it still with the help of some other people who are experienced programmers, as I am not. I went the Arduino route.

#7 8 years ago

I am curious to hear how it goes with the deciphering of which sounds are from which signal combinations. Please post about how the process goes for you.

3 months later
#9 7 years ago

Hi guys, how's your work coming along on this?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Warrington, PENNSYLVANIA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-raven-sound-files-or-good-alternatives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.