(Topic ID: 89265)

Looking for Pin-hauler / teenager's first car recommendations.

By jedimojo

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Ok... my oldest daughter is going to be driving on her own this June. I have every bit of faith that whatever she drives will end up with a crushed bumper or two. (She takes after her mom). As an aside...my wife backed into my car on Easter morning.

Anyways.... I'm thinking... I don't want her driving either my car or my wife's SUV.
    Getting an older third vehicle is probably the best option. A van or SUV is out of the question b/c the last thing she needs is 5 or 6 teenage friends sitting behind her to distract her.

This is where you guys come in. I need to find a reliable car that is fairly cheep and maybe a bit ugly (again... teenager deteret). The added bonus would be something to move a pin with. Right now I've been thinking about an older Hyundai Elantra wagon - but don't know if it could hold a pinball machine.
    Ideas? Suggestions? Ever been in the same situation? I'd like to know what you'd buy - the cheaper the better.

#2 9 years ago

You do realize that the ability to load a pin contradicts your not wanting other kids in there. Pick one IMO.

My boys are 16 & 17 (18 next month). My oldest son started with a 98 Ford Taurus and wrecked it on an icy curve in the first winter. That was over a year ago. He had to buy his next vehicle. He ended up with a 99 Chrysler Town & Country AWD. He was searching for AWD based on Alaska and his driving skills.

I set the limit on who rides with him. I am lucky he actually listens, for now. I keep talking to him about various things and asking what the other kids think of him driving a van. He said most kids do not have anything so nobody has ever made a negative point about it. He attends a career tech school so most of the kids don't care about cars.

According to him, he really likes the van because headlights do not blind him on our curvy roads because he sits higher and he says he can see out better at corners. I can tell he is a lot more comfortable driving it.

Basically you should consider more than just trying to limit seats for her while still giving you room to haul pins. If she listens there are safety advantages to a minivan. Each kid will react in their own way, but my son likes the van and they are not expensive to purchase or insure.

EDIT: I forgot to mention state law her requires kids to drive alone or family only for their first 6 months with their license. It takes a parent to remove that restriction after the 6 months of ticket free driving. Any ticket resets that 6 month clock and continues until 18 years old. Grades in school are a valid reason for the parent to limit the kid to no passengers.

#3 9 years ago

sounds kinda like you want a U haul truck, lots of room for pins,& you cant hear much distraction from anyone who would want to ride in the back.

all kiding aside, a little hatchback wagon with easly removable seats is the way to go, and fuel milage should beat the strait truck hands down

#4 9 years ago

what I have now, believe it or not, is an '81 datsun-nissan 210 wagon. with the back seats flopped down it'll definitely haul a pinball machine, it'll even tow my boat to the lakes (boat+trailer+outboard easily 800+lbs), launch and retrieve from the boat ramps no problem too. it'll be getting "classic" plates this year, LMAO! if my little old 1400cc datsun can haul a pinball (or boat!), chances are pretty good the hyundai oughtta do a pinball as easily.
    a littler wagon might be a good choice, there isnt much leg room for rear passengers and it sure isnt sporty. it'll carry driver and 1-2 passengers, 3 passengers at most in a pinch. the downside is they're little tuna-cans that WONT do well in anything collision, good shocks struts brakes tires are real needs for steering to avoid taking a hit and you really do have to be alert, like when riding a motorcycle. that hyundai might be kinda similar, a volvo would be a lot tougher-safer in something collision. my choice for replacing what I have will be an older subaru 4wd-awd wagon because I dont think something front wheel drive will be very capable of getting the boat out the water up the ramps (rear wheel drive will squat and grab traction). I do also need what'll get very good MPG.

a friend has an older (83-84?) chevy cavalier wagon with the 2.5L EFI cosworth type 4 cylinder engine in it, has been very mechanically reliable, 230K+ on it before the recent rebuild. its a little more "mid-sized", a little bigger can also be a little safer. in your shoes I wouldnt pass on one of those if it popped up at a fair price, reliable and fairly easy-cheap to work on if it needs something. my friends car is really CUTE now after rebuilt engine, paint, rims, shocks-struts, brakes etc. you wouldnt think its 30+ years old now seeing or driving it both.

you've heard the two second rule, never following closer than two seconds behind the car in front of you. I drive by the 3-4 second but not 5 rule, plenty of time to react-steer-slow-stop, but not so much time some dork will think he has time to try to pull out in front of me at some kind of intersection.. so far so good, no tickets or accidents at all for 25+ years now, it might be a good strategy for your daughter to know and use?

want to stop that "backing into things" thing? hook a trailer up to her stuff and watch how careful how quick lol.
    backing up with a trailer attached you REALLY gotta look-watch-plan, all the habits will likely carry right over.
    hmm.. an anything decent little car and pick up a little trailer to use for hauling a pin with?

abso.. mini's sure do have their real advantages, but if you've ever had to put wrenches to one, yikk!!
    I dont hate em for driving and they really can be a great choice, but working on em is another story. I liked my '78 1 ton chevy 10ft box van lots too, but sure hated working on it. 1/4 hood, inside access bonnet, no fun.
    the T&C AWD for Alaska.. oh hell yeah, no doubts about that choice and probably a lot better price than the something subee wagons I'll be looking at sometime.

#5 9 years ago

My youngest son was going to get a Geo Metro from on of my friends for free but another friend of mine sold him a nice 97 Impreza Outback Wagon for $1500. He loves it but is more of a "car guy" than the oldest. I will attach a picture, it is orange and can be seen for miles. That Subee with fresh studs handles great on our ice covered roads.

[attachment=1624473,]

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-pin-hauler-teenagers-first-car-recommendations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.