(Topic ID: 22238)

Looking for people who have restored any EM's.

By mccoy2797

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hello, I just picked up a Gotlieb Duotron and it's definitely a tinkering project. It's pretty rough and would like to hear your opinions and see some pictures of some of your work.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm stuck with.

The playfield needs to be cleaned up. It also needs some sort of protective coating. What are safe cleaning agents/tools to use?

The cabinet is banged up. Chips in wood.

I can get some pictures, but don't know when I'll get around to it, nor how good of quality they will be in.

#2 11 years ago

Read much of the information at pinrepair.com- This individual has restored a ton of games, knows what they are doing and have published free illustrated guides etc. Also, look up this on YouTube. There are at least two people who regularly publish video how to for what you need. Questions after you have some idea what to do will probably be more interesting to answer. For now, just read, do your home work.

PLAY FIELD
Clean with basically no water or at best a damp (like very very dry) rag or wet with windex. Test in inconspicuous spots first. Then, try some Naptha which can help strip old wax. Then Magic eraser with 91% isopropanol but you probably need to take the entire play field apart to do this effectively so enjoy the project, its great for tinkering.

CABINET
Wood chips can be filled with pretty much whatever you like if its on the cabinet and then you need to blend colors (I would use spray paints and spray in a cup to blend two close colors). Remember, order of paint on cabinets was always Base color (typically white) first- then the splatter/web black fleck... then typically you need to look at the stencils to see overspray patterns but the stencils were last and over the splatter and you should try to figure out which one was sprayed first as it slightly changes the way the overlap looks... if your going to cut stencils and repaint parts you need to know this... (done this, it should not be your first choice). Better, match the base color and both stencils with some spray paint (IMHO DO NOT USE double coverage paint its TOO dark you want to see though it a bit)... patch the wood and sand flat carefully (only the patches) then probably run down the cabinet good to remove paint that its going to fall off with the brush, and simply go over all the stencils and scratches very very carefully.

#3 11 years ago

Go pick up the 1st 2 TOP cds. They are 8 bucks each, and cover EM work exclusively.
(I think Clay still has them available. If not the PHOF might have em)

#4 11 years ago

Thank you both very much!

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Go pick up the 1st 2 TOP cds. They are 8 bucks each, and cover EM work exclusively.
(I think Clay still has them available. If not the PHOF might have em)

Can you link me to Clay, please? Thank you!

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from mccoy2797:

Can you link me to Clay, please? Thank you!

http://www.pinrepair.com/top/

1 month later
#8 11 years ago

Get the schematics and owners manual for any EM machine as that is the key to fixing it now and in the future.

Hopefully you have your game running now.

Have fun with it!

Ken

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-people-who-have-restored-any-ems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.