Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by guss
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hello, I am in the market and just started looking to get my first pinball Machine. I have a budget if $1,500-$2,000 and wanted some advice on what might be a good one to look for or what to look for. I always have wanted one if not more for a long time and now I’m ready to dive in, learn and start my new hobby.

Thank you all in advance for and help or guidance you provide.

Matt

#2 4 years ago

Welcome to the club!! If you have an idea theme wise, check them out on youtube for gameplay.

Or if you know others with varying games you can physically play.

#3 4 years ago

Yea I have been in contact with someone I found on here who (I think) is local. It’s a 1990 Simpson Data East.

And I never thought about YouTube, great idea I’ll ask my kids to help me find a video lol

#4 4 years ago

Physically playing the game is everything. Were/are there any games you've already played & liked that you may have your eye on? It really makes a difference. Also, pinball emulators such as The Pinball Arcade are ok to get an idea, but the do NOT play like a real game. Keep that in mind.

If you live anywhere near where pinball expos are held, that way be an option as well.

#5 4 years ago

also, since you are brand new, also keep in mind that certain games are way more complex than others, and thus create more (expensive) maintenance .

Do a search here on Pinside, there have been quite a few other posts on this topic.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Seatmandan:

also, since you are brand new, also keep in mind that certain games are way more complex than others, and thus create more (expensive) maintenance .
    Do a search here on Pinside, there have been quite a few other posts on this topic.

Great! Will do and I appreciate the help.

#7 4 years ago

Get the 2k Baywatch in St Louis.

Disclaimer: I have no children and don't know what good parenting is/is not. This may fall in the latter category.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

Disclaimer: I have no children and don't know what good parenting is/is not. This may fall in the latter category.

Actually a great choice. Lots of pinball there for $2000. I just sold a police force for $1500 that would have been good. Look at system 11's as there are some good family fun themes and many can be had for under $2000

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from NewToPinball125:

Yea I have been in contact with someone I found on here who (I think) is local. It’s a 1990 Simpson Data East.
    And I never thought about YouTube, great idea I’ll ask my kids to help me find a video lol

Welcome! I always enjoy 1st time posters excited about jumping into the hobby, as opposed to scammers asking 2x the market price of their beater game.

My first game actually was Data East Simpsons. With kids it’s a huge hit. Also it has a very simple ruleset that is difficult to master.

Having said that, it gets old... quick! DE Simpsons is a short ball time game with not a lot to explore. I thought the Simpsons money was going to be all the pinball money I’d need to spend to be content. I found myself spending an equal amount more to buy Stern HRC which many pan here but I loved as it had so much going on, offered much longer games, and complemented Simpsons very nicely. You may find yourself in a similar position in 6 months if you start off with a shallow game... but that’s not a bad thing. Like Stuart Scott always told me growing up “if some is good, more is better”.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

I’ve considered that one

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from NewToPinball125:

I’ve considered that one

It is a great game if you can get past the theme.

#12 4 years ago

Go play whatever games you’re interested in. Do not buy one sight unseen. It would help if you had any family/friends in the pinball hobby to go with you and help you make a more informed decision. Don’t let anyone take advantage of you for being a new to the hobby

#13 4 years ago

I've played a Baywatch. It's a great game. If the theme were something different it would be highly sought after imo. For 2k it'll be hard to beat. That game has it all.

It'll be harder to resell when it comes time. That's the only downside.

Tell em it's your first ever pin and offer 1800.

#14 4 years ago

Capcom Breakshot

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-my1st-machine-?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.