• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by BrianG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey All

I am looking to get a Pinball Machine for me and my wife .. We grew up playing and really like to play, we would play for hours on hours ... I was wondering what would be a good machine to start out with .. We like " target " machines .. We played alot of Count Down .. Royal Flush .. Joker Poker ..

I am know the difference with EM and SS machines .. I an " handy " around the house .. But not sure about fixin a machine ..

Any thoughts ... My budget is about 1200.00 .. I was looking and think I should beable to get a nice older machine.

If anyone has a machine in the New Jersey / Penna / Delaware area, Please email me on PM me .. My email is W63061@aol.com

Thank You all in advance.

#2 7 years ago

Keep your eyes open you will find the one you both will like. We got our first machine last Dec. (Space Station) And yes first time buyer syndrome. I paid too much, but still love the pin. I am getting better at dianosing issues, and pinside has been a great help. I enjoy working on my pin as much as i do playing it. We already have the issue that we need another one, and are saving for a NIB, That way i can work on one while she is playing, Hehehe i get trumped when i want to clean and she wants to play. Good luck and if you can find one for a good price i suggest a Getaway. Great game fast and the turbo charger is sweet!

#3 7 years ago

Depending on space you have and what type of machines you like you could likely get two decent working machines for $1200 (if you look at earlier SS or better EM titles). Or buy one decent Bally, William's (System 6 or 7) or Gottlieb system 80 for $650 to $900.

My suggestion however would be to look for a Williams System 11 machine. There are about 30 total system 11 titles and you can still find about 1/2 of those in the $800 to $1400 price range. To me System 11 machines are some of the best built machines ever made and with so many great titles over 1/2 my collection is system 11 games.

#4 7 years ago

Have fun getting your first machine. Just know that it WILL break down, early and often. If you are handy though you will probably learn to fix it. When you do it's a good feeling in itself. This site is invaluable for new owners. People on here have helped me a lot but hopefully you know or will meet someone that can actually come over. I've been very luck in that regard.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

over 1/2 my collection is system 11 games.

should post some pics of those system 11 games, i love them to

#6 7 years ago

Don't do it. Don't get started down the road of buying pins. Then comes fixing and buying more and storing parts.

Convince a friend who lives close to you to buy one.

#7 7 years ago

$1200 budget should land you a very nice machine, but as a first time owner I would avoid Gottlieb and Williams titles.
Gottlieb's are the least reliable (that era, anyways)..and without an updated CPU board you will have connector issues. Not an if, a when.
Williams have too many connections from the body to the head...and have sloppy flips that get sloppier as time goes on.

Bally's - Sterns - far better pins if you are talking 1978-1982 IMO.
Mata Hari is an excellent starter title, as well as a great looking game cosmetically.
Meteor is another......with 3 banks of 3 drop targs...and one bank of 6. Solid pin.

Good luck-

#8 7 years ago

Good luck with your search. I just got my first 3 games yesterday and WOW! What a blast im having. I cant get out of work soon enough to go play some more. lol

#9 7 years ago

Welcome to the madness rottenbob. Lots of collectors and places to play in SE MI and NW OH.
Howie

#10 7 years ago

start looking for your second and third machine, one is not enough!

#11 7 years ago

Thanks for all the good reply's .. I ended up getting a Stern's " Trident " I like the machine and the setup .. The machine was working great where i bought it .. When we took it apart, to lower the head, something must of been knocked loose .. Pin will power up, But won't start or shoot the ball out .. Game won't start

I am going to post and see if there is anyone in the Phila area, that I could pick their brain, or ask them over for lunch and show me a thing or 2 that I should know .. gotta learn/start somewhere.

Brian

#12 7 years ago

This happens all the time during transport. Check all connectors in the back box and post details about what is going on, you will be amazed with the knowledge that is available here.

#14 7 years ago

Just threw up a LW for 1450 (shameless plug)

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

This happens all the time during transport. Check all connectors in the back box and post details about what is going on, you will be amazed with the knowledge that is available here.

I have a fellow member going to call me tomm and walk me thur somethings, Great site with great people. Looking forward to reading alot and hopefully contributing to the site.

Thank you all !

Brian

#16 7 years ago

Congratulations on the pickup.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Congratulations on the pickup.

Thank You

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 149.00
$ 32.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
$ 5,899.99
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
£ 34.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside