• Latest reply 2 years ago by RussMyers
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3C28B422-F6F2-4EB9-9BA2-1C717541838B (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Looking to add some LED's to my DE Jurassic Park, but am new to this and don't really know where to start. I have found the various kits, but they're a little more than I'm looking to spend at around $250.

What I'm looking for is just a more bright and crisp version of the factory incandescent lighting - I'm not looking for anything crazy over the top. Is it pointless to do just the GI and backbox?

If anyone has any pictures of a tastefully LED'd JP, I would love to see. Also any suggestions on what/where to buy, would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

#2 3 years ago

do not buy a kit. comet 2smd sunlight frosted for gi's and either frosted or clear for inserts. no need to color match inserts on most.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from tb0ne:

Looking to add some LED's to my DE Jurassic Park, but am new to this and don't really know where to start. I have found the various kits, but they're a little more than I'm looking to spend at around $250.
What I'm looking for is just a more bright and crisp version of the factory incandescent lighting - I'm not looking for anything crazy over the top. Is it pointless to do just the GI and backbox?
If anyone has any pictures of a tastefully LED'd JP, I would love to see. Also any suggestions on what/where to buy, would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Everyone has an opinion, and it's really a matter of taste, but here's how I did my JP before I sold it.

Backbox: Cool White Frosted 44s, and don't forget you need some 455 blinkers

GI: Comet 2smd Daylight Clear domes (these look a lot like incandescents IMO and don't blow up the colors of the plastics or playfield)

Inserts: Comet 2smd Frosted domes; Daylight for warm color inserts(red yellow orange), Cool White for cool inserts (blue, green, white)

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/2smd-bulbs

RussM

#4 3 years ago

It's hard to really see true colors at all in pics but:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37999418@N04/albums/72157705469002004

RM

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

do not buy a kit. comet 2smd sunlight frosted for gi's and either frosted or clear for inserts. no need to color match inserts on most.

I’m in this camp 100%. Sunlight frosted LEDs are my favorite.

Keep flashers incandescent

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

It's hard to really see true colors at all in pics but:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/37999418@N04/albums/72157705469002004
RM

Thanks for that. That's similar to the look that (I think) I'm looking for.

#7 3 years ago

The comet retro smd are nice,it depends on how bright you want .Is there any pinsiders in your area with some LEDs you could try to see what looks good to you.

#8 3 years ago

On my JP, I kept incandescent above the playfield as I prefer the classic look, but went comet warm white LED under all the inserts. As noted above, color matching does not add much. I also went with warm white comets in the backbox, with flashers in the correct locations.

I am very happy with the results.

#9 3 years ago

If you skip flashers (which I do), our kit is $100 less than that: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/jurassic-park-data-east-led-kit

It's mostly white GI, but with a handful of colors that look nice. Sorry, I don't have any pics. Actually, if you're interested, message me and I might be able to find some.

Our kit uses 1SMD frosted (mostly Sunlight White) bulbs (https://www.cometpinball.com/products/1smd-bulbs?variant=2072673517612) for the GI and backbox. Those are all bayonets. The inserts are color matched non-ghosting and a mixture of wedges and bayonets. (As others said, you can skip the color matching if that's too much trouble).

1 week later
#10 3 years ago

I ended up following Russ’s formula, and I’m really happy with the results. Cost came in just over $100, but mainly because I miscounted and had to make a second order. Could have been done for around 80 if I didn’t mess up.

Pic:
3C28B422-F6F2-4EB9-9BA2-1C717541838B (resized).jpeg3C28B422-F6F2-4EB9-9BA2-1C717541838B (resized).jpeg

1 year later
#11 2 years ago

RussMyers who/how did you do the lockbar with the caution tape?

2 weeks later
#12 2 years ago
Quoted from SgtPin18:

RussMyers who/how did you do the lockbar with the caution tape?

Painted it semigloss black and then when that cured used painters tape to mark off the yellow stripe area and sprayed with Safety Yellow.

It's all just Rustoleum rattle can paint. Held up well IMO.

RussM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-led-suggestions-for-de-jurassic-park?hl=markp99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.