• Latest reply 11 years ago by blownfuse
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1761[1].JPG
#1 11 years ago

Fix up a Gottlieb Super Orbit but I am more of a Bally person so my knowledge with Gottlieb is limited. Doesn't help that there is no manual with the machine either. In looking at the attached picture you can see someone hacked the IC Socket. This socket is at the top of the CPU board and just below the Reset Board. If I am correct in my thinking this IC Socket is not used???

When I play the game everything scores as is should but the displays show garbage. If I turn the game off and back on the Displays will reflect all zeros, with the exception of players 1 and 3 the last digit reflects nothing. So it appears that the game is not keeping its memory and there is also an issue with the information being sent to the displays. I have checked the connectors and pins to the displays to no avail.

Appreciate any insight into the above issues! Thanks meSz

IMG_1761[1].JPGIMG_1761[1].JPG

#2 11 years ago

That socket is used for the reset board above it. Also, if you get one of Great Plain Electronics Quickscan testers, it uses this socket for diagnostics.

#3 11 years ago

+1 to that being a diag socket.

You probably have just a bad battery and maybe a connection issue for the displays (top right output connector on MPU).

If you have the old black DataSentry battery, get rid of it asap. It's probably close to 30 years old and if it hasn't started leaking it will.

Wealth of information here..

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Relocating_the_battery_from_the_MPU_board

And that whole Wiki.

Once you get your battery/display issues cleared up.

Swap the orange cap
Do the ground mods
And the leds while doing the mods

You will have a much more solid System 80.

#4 11 years ago

You forgot to have him perform test 20 to do a quick check of the 5101 RAM.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-information-on-gottlieb-system-80a and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.