(Topic ID: 229885)

Looking for ideas to light a topper.

By gibsonrd

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I have a sword topper that I have setup for a LOTR, and I was wondering what the best way to hook it up to make it only come on when certain things are active, like a mode start light. I'm guessing I would run the led strip wires through the back of the head and connect it by banana clips to a lead and ground??

Does anyone on here sell led strips that would work for that? Looking for blue.
Thanks!

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from gibsonrd:

I have a sword topper that I have setup for a LOTR, and I was wondering what the best way to hook it up to make it only come on when certain things are active, like a mode start light. I'm guessing I would run the led strip wires through the back of the head and connect it by banana clips to a lead and ground??
Does anyone on here sell led strips that would work for that? Looking for blue.
Thanks!

Do not attach it directly to controlled lamps or things will get screwed up. I do not recommend to use banana clips except for testing, use a more reliable method such as wire taps or soldering, clips can fall off and possibly short or damage your game.

You do not deserve an LOTR, and should give it to me.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Do not attach it directly to controlled lamps or things will get screwed up. I do not recommend to use banana clips except for testing, use a more reliable method such as wire taps or soldering, clips can fall off and possibly short or damage your game.
You do not deserve an LOTR, and should give it to me.

Thanks for the reply! I will hook it to the GI instead. I'm not worthy!

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from gibsonrd:

Thanks for the reply! I will hook it to the GI instead. I'm not worthy!

That is a bit easier and safer. If you want something jazzy, perhaps you can find LEDs that "do something"- but run off constant power. For my Maverick topper, I run a string of sockets off the GI with slow blink LED bulbs.

#5 5 years ago

naphtha and a match *rimshot*

#6 5 years ago

Best way to do it is with @lyonsden's Pinduino in my opinion.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Tres:

Best way to do it is with lyonsden's Pinduino in my opinion.

y

I didn't even think of a pinduino, I have one in my x-men, and it is awesome! My original (or not original) idea was to have the sword only light when a mode or multiball started, so that the sword would glow blue like in the movie when orcs come around. I believe a pinduino would do that if I programmed it correctly, right?

#8 5 years ago

If the mode or multiball triggered a flasher or coil then yes, the Pinduino could absolutely do it.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from gibsonrd:

y
I didn't even think of a pinduino, I have one in my x-men, and it is awesome! My original (or not original) idea was to have the sword only light when a mode or multiball started, so that the sword would glow blue like in the movie when orcs come around. I believe a pinduino would do that if I programmed it correctly, right?

This is by far the best possible choice. The Pinduino is already voltage appropriate, and can be controlled from flashers, which will make it far more interactive. Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-ideas-to-light-a-topper?hl=tres and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.