Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200803_192435 (resized).jpg
    Lennox (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 3 years ago

Hey all-

Hoping to get some straight answers here. I live in the D.C. area, and we are adding a 1000 sq ft addition. This area needs conditioning, so we are discussing a heat pump right now; I inquired about a furnace, but the plumber indicated our gas line could not supply the BTUs required, as we already have an existing furnace and gas water heater.

Does this check out? I had preferred a gas furnace but the BTU supply threw me for a loop. In general I am aware that heat pumps will cost me a little more in electricity and they aren’t great in the winter. So not the best choice if it gets cold below 30 degrees...

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from GoodOmens:

We have a two-stage heat pump with gas furnace back-up and it's great. Basically our furnace only kicks on if it's too cold or if the heat pump is not doing its job in a specified period of time. No clue though if you are just looking for an additional unit to only heat that specific area (vs upgrading your existing units). We have one larger unit and two zones that are controlled via dampers.
    Although our winters are a little milder in Memphis vs DC (Go Nats!).

It does occasionally get pretty cold here; I'm being told by the HVAC guy that the heat pump is sufficient for heating in the winter here. But what I understand about heat pumps is that unless you have a super mild winter, the thing is not going to cut it. My issue is that we're just doing this for the addition, and one of those rooms is our bedroom. If it's not gonna be warm enough, my wife's not going to be too happy. We don't have a backup furnace (I mean, we DO, but it's not connected to the same space,all new ductwork is going in for the new space only)

Further, I'm concerned about our electric bill, which is already like $300/month (the house isn't that big). I definitely don't want to double it or anything crazy, and if the heat isn't going to be enough, AND I have a much higher bill, that's not acceptable.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Heat pump is plenty fine for this area. As somebody mentioned, you have a heat pump with an auxiliary heat source. In my case, propane heat. I think mine is set to cut over to aux heat around 22-25 degrees. Before I moved to Naptown, I had a heat pump in my prior house in Montgomery county and never had an issue.
    Your electric bill is crazy! Do you have electric heat or something now? As hot as this summer has been, running the pool and and the power for the boat and I have not cracked 400/month. When the pool is shut down I was more in the 150-180 range a month. Full disclosure, I have heating oil for the first floor and heat pump/propane for the second flood.

Thank you so much for the response! Our "emergency heat" (HVAC guy's term) is set to cut over at 25-30 degrees, and is unfortunately not propane, but electric strips. I'm not loving that; those are basically resistance coils that get energized and air is blown over them, which heats up and is blown into the space. But that shouldn't be terribly often - and plus, the rest of the house is heated by a second zone with a regular, but incredibly inefficient, gas furnace.

I double-checked my electric bill - and I was WAY off. It's more like $220 or so/month. I expect it to go up obviously, but not by double.

#51 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

It could just be a terminology thing, but auxiliary heat and emergency heat are not the same thing. Auxiliary heat is a secondary source that augments the heat pump and emergency heat is just the heating strips in case your heat pump goes down. This is a pretty good explanation https://beachairobx.com/heat-pump-auxiliary-heat/
    I would ask your hvac guy what your auxiliary heat source is. It sounds like they are talking an electric source. Ask them if you have enough for a gas two stage as goodomens mentions and what I have. This setup works incredibly well.

He definitely said "emergency heat," but described it closer to what you're calling "auxiliary heat". Still, the gas two-stage sounds like the way to go. Thanks very much again - this has cleared up in a few minutes of 'real world' that reading on the internet for a week was not making obvious.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Glad I could help! For a frame of reference, my Trane 2 stage heat pump installed was about 9.5 or 10K. At some point, I am going to have to replace my main floor unit and will have to make the decision if I stay on heating oil or go to propane. Propane is more efficient from a BTU perspective, but I already have an oil tank in the house. Will figure it out. Joys of living down the peninsula away from maintained infrastructure.
    When this Covid thing dies down we will have to meet up at VUK or MOMS or Lymans. I am normally always around the city. Of course, if you like seafood, you can always come out this way.

Fantastic - looks like ours is a Carrier; I'll look into whether it's a 2-stage or not. Upgrade's an option in the future, I suppose. Funny you mention the oil tank - I had ours removed a few years ago, as it was taking up valuable pinball space in the basement!

You've got a deal to meet up somewhere in the area after this dies down. Seafood? Well, you just said the magic word. We (used to) visit the Annapolis area quite often, Reynolds' Tavern is a favorite!

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from GoodOmens:

Heatpumps are super-efficient. Granted my electricity rates here are dirt (~$.10 cents a kwh, transmission included), but the highest my bill is during the winter is around $145ish with my gas around $30 to heat around 2400 sqft, and I have a gas stove I use all the time and gas water heater. I also have an electric car that uses about ~$35 of that electricity.

Supposedly our rates are $0.11 / kwh which isn't bad. Gas is $40-50 on average (in winter it goes way up). Guess I need to stop complaining. I appreciate all the input guys

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-hvac-replacement-help-advice-cause-it-s-getting-hot-in-her?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.