Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200803_192435 (resized).jpg
    Lennox (resized).png
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

It could just be a terminology thing, but auxiliary heat and emergency heat are not the same thing. Auxiliary heat is a secondary source that augments the heat pump and emergency heat is just the heating strips in case your heat pump goes down. This is a pretty good explanation https://beachairobx.com/heat-pump-auxiliary-heat/
    I would ask your hvac guy what your auxiliary heat source is. It sounds like they are talking an electric source. Ask them if you have enough for a gas two stage as goodomens mentions and what I have. This setup works incredibly well.

He definitely said "emergency heat," but described it closer to what you're calling "auxiliary heat". Still, the gas two-stage sounds like the way to go. Thanks very much again - this has cleared up in a few minutes of 'real world' that reading on the internet for a week was not making obvious.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

He definitely said "emergency heat," but described it closer to what you're calling "auxiliary heat". Still, the gas two-stage sounds like the way to go. Thanks very much again - this has cleared up in a few minutes of 'real world' that reading on the internet for a week was not making obvious.

Glad I could help! For a frame of reference, my Trane 2 stage heat pump installed was about 9.5 or 10K. At some point, I am going to have to replace my main floor unit and will have to make the decision if I stay on heating oil or go to propane. Propane is more efficient from a BTU perspective, but I already have an oil tank in the house. Will figure it out. Joys of living down the peninsula away from maintained infrastructure.

When this Covid thing dies down we will have to meet up at VUK or MOMS or Lymans. I am normally always around the city. Of course, if you like seafood, you can always come out this way.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Glad I could help! For a frame of reference, my Trane 2 stage heat pump installed was about 9.5 or 10K. At some point, I am going to have to replace my main floor unit and will have to make the decision if I stay on heating oil or go to propane. Propane is more efficient from a BTU perspective, but I already have an oil tank in the house. Will figure it out. Joys of living down the peninsula away from maintained infrastructure.
    When this Covid thing dies down we will have to meet up at VUK or MOMS or Lymans. I am normally always around the city. Of course, if you like seafood, you can always come out this way.

Fantastic - looks like ours is a Carrier; I'll look into whether it's a 2-stage or not. Upgrade's an option in the future, I suppose. Funny you mention the oil tank - I had ours removed a few years ago, as it was taking up valuable pinball space in the basement!

You've got a deal to meet up somewhere in the area after this dies down. Seafood? Well, you just said the magic word. We (used to) visit the Annapolis area quite often, Reynolds' Tavern is a favorite!

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Heatpumps are super-efficient. Granted my electricity rates here are dirt (~$.10 cents a kwh, transmission included), but the highest my bill is during the winter is around $145ish with my gas around $30 to heat around 2400 sqft, and I have a gas stove I use all the time and gas water heater. I also have an electric car that uses about ~$35 of that electricity.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from GoodOmens:

Heatpumps are super-efficient. Granted my electricity rates here are dirt (~$.10 cents a kwh, transmission included), but the highest my bill is during the winter is around $145ish with my gas around $30 to heat around 2400 sqft, and I have a gas stove I use all the time and gas water heater. I also have an electric car that uses about ~$35 of that electricity.

Supposedly our rates are $0.11 / kwh which isn't bad. Gas is $40-50 on average (in winter it goes way up). Guess I need to stop complaining. I appreciate all the input guys

2 months later
    #56 3 years ago

Just to follow up, I ended up with the 2 York 4 ton 2 stage units and couldn't be happier so far. Spent right at $16K once all was said and done.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Just to follow up, I ended up with the 2 York 4 ton 2 stage units and couldn't be happier so far. Spent right at $16K once all was said and done.

Looks like you did well. Keep those filters clean and try to use the fiberglass ones if you can.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

Looks like you did well. Keep those filters clean and try to use the fiberglass ones if you can.

Funny thing you mention that... I used to use these:
    Glasfloss Industries M1120201 Z-Line Series MR-11 Pleated Filter

When I put them in the new units I got a high pitch whistle only on the low stage speed which I assumed was something that went wrong with the install. The guys came back and checked it out which is when we figured out it was the filter. When we put in the cheapie filter with less airflow restriction, the sound disappeared. It doesn't make the sound on the high speed, the low speed and the density of the thicker filter just happened to be the right mixture for the noise I guess.

#59 3 years ago

Keep using the cheapie filters. Those restrictive ones will shorten the life of the motor.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-hvac-replacement-help-advice-cause-it-s-getting-hot-in-her/page/2?hl=goodomens and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.