3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by sulakd
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hello All,

Just moved into new and house and already started construction on new game room/theater in basement. Going to get a projector and really want a good 3D 1080p projector and looking for advice. Any thoughts or experience with would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 3 years ago

avsforum.com

#3 3 years ago

There's so many options out there. Like Alveolus said about the avsforums are a good place to start.

Personally I would highly recommend JVC's lineup of projectors due to their excellent black levels. I would also recommend getting a projector with a motorized lens so that you can automatically change aspect ratios and to maximize the area of your screen.

Not sure what type of setup your basement will have but if you are going to spray the ceiling I would recommend a dark flat paint to reduce reflections (will help with black levels).

#4 3 years ago

I bought mine at www.visualapex.com. Great site with lots of info.

#5 3 years ago

Price range?

#6 3 years ago

You will first need to decide how big a screen you want. Bigger screen means dimmer picture, esp for 3D which reduces brightness by 50%. If you go big you will be looking for a high lumen projector or high gain screen or a combination thereof.

Also, good black levels are useless if you have a bright room or high ambient light. You will need to factor those issues into your home theater building.

#7 3 years ago

I have owned 2 Optoma projector's that each cost about 1k. For the time they were great for what I payed and am considering another projector in the not so distant future. The technology continues to get better and more affordable. I do know that you can spend a ton to get a true movie theater quality projector. Just keep in mind just like all electronic products there will be something cheaper and better soon after you purchase it.

#8 3 years ago

About $1000 give or take couple hundred

Looking at about a 120" screen

The throw range can vary depending how our final design of the room goes.

#9 3 years ago

Take a look at Epson. I've had an 8345 for a few years now & it's been really good. When I bought this one, a friend bought my old Epson 720 & he's still using it. If I were replacing it now, I'd be looking at the 3600. It's low priced & has a really good picture. I can get one up here for about $1350 & I think they're a lot cheaper in the States. You should be able to find the lowest price by asking in the projector forum at avsforums.
    You also need to think about placement. The low cost DLPs usually don't have lens shift (or very little) which make placement difficult. They also usually don't have a wide range of throw adjustment.
    I have my 8345 ceiling mounted directly above the second row of seating. That way, if someone stands up & waves their arms in the air, they aren't going to hit the PJ.
    Check on avsforums about a DIY screen or a get a retail one. I'm using a 120" Elunevision Elara with 2.4 gain so I can have the lights turned up without completely washing out the picture. The bad thing about it is that it has a texture so I can't wipe it down (I don't think). I watch a lot of sports, however. If it's for mostly movies in a dark room, you may better served with a lower gain, perhaps 1.2.

#10 3 years ago

By the time you buy a piece of electronic equipment it is already obsolete. You should plan for the future and buy a 4K projector. I am opinionated so for me only a Stewart filmscreen will do. Throw distance is important. The longer the better. I have a Runco projector with a minimum of 26' throw (zoom lens). It sits in the back wall. I would look and see what Sony has to offer new/used in addition to JVC. Runco is way out of your price range.

#11 3 years ago

I have an Epson 5030ub on a 130 in screen and it's fantastic ....but looks like it's been discontinued and replaced with a 4k-but-not-really-4k model. If you can find one of these for about $2k, they're excellent!

#12 3 years ago

Projectors depreciate in value quickly as tech changes occur. The LCoS design from JVC still is my go to recommendation for best film like quality for home. An option to look at is using AVS to find a deal on a used projector from someone upgrading.
    Although the look is not for everyone, I still love my Vutec SilverStar screen. It doesn't hotspot like other high gain options and the only artifact is some sparkles that are in the whites. It never fails to knock the socks off people when they see it.

#13 3 years ago

I bought this and it's great. I have an Epson amazon.com link »

amazon.com link »

The Epson projector does make a little noise kind of like a hard drive running but not too noticeable. The warranty wasn't great, but if you buy it factory refurbished you will probably get a longer warranty.

Also, bought an OPPO blu ray and love it. bought the one for $500 it's their lower end model but works unbelievable.

#14 3 years ago

JVC

#15 3 years ago

At 120" you will need a high gain screen as it is unlikely that a 3D projector in your price range will have enough lumens to generate the brightness that you would want.

#16 3 years ago

As others have said, JVC's rock for 2D movies. If 3D is important, then you might want to look elsewhere as their 3D performance isn't all that great, but works. But, for around $1k you get what you get, which probably isn't a JVC either.

Quoted from fordtudoor:

You should plan for the future and buy a 4K projector.

Know of any 4k projectors around $1k? If you do, I'd like to know about them.

#17 3 years ago

I forgot to mention that if you are building a theater and watching movies then I highly recommend the Oppo Blu-Ray player with Darbee Edition if you go the DVD route. It's like the industry standard and the price is right. I have never read a complaint about it.

#18 3 years ago

I also suggest avsforum. If you create a thread there with this question, you'll get much-better-informed responses. With your budget, you can ignore 4k projectors. They're way out of your price range right now. Wait a couple years for that. Best you could do in that direction right now is an Epson ls10000 (laser projector) for about $4k used, and it's only 'faux-k' anyway. If you've never had a dedicated theater before, take your time. Build the room before you buy a projector. Room size, throw distance, screen size, seating distance, etc. all come into play. You'll need space in the budget for receiver, speakers, screen, etc. If you can swing it, I recommend a 2.35 screen and an anamorphic lens.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 12.95
    $ 16.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 3.50
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 8.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 32.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 189.99
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside