9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by frunch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I've got some switch leafs (leaves?) along with some gold and tungsten contacts coming from The Pinball Resource soon, and wanted to see if anyone has any tips for installing the contacts onto the switch leafs. Is it something you'd use a press or vise for, perhaps? Do many techs out there make their own switches? Seems like a way to save money, and time tracking down specific replacement switches.

All help appreciated!

Trevor

#2 9 years ago

Back in the EM days, I did it all the time. Wico was where we bought all the "universal" switch blades and sets of assorted contact points in both gold flashed and silver/tungsten.

#3 9 years ago

there is a little tutorial buried somewhere on clays site, but i can't find it.

#4 9 years ago

I just use a pair of grips with a small piece of cardboard or similar to protect the contact face. Give it a good squeeze - sometimes they look to be fitted ok and then just drop out ☺

#5 9 years ago

I solder them on, much easier.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

I solder them on, much easier.

Agreed. If you don't press it just right it can cause some intermittent switch problems. Solder makes a great connection.

#7 9 years ago

I've tapped the back of the contact with a ball peen hammer. Have also soldered them in too. Just double check that you have 1 switch blade instead of 2 before attaching the contact. (don't ask how i know)

#8 9 years ago

Clean the switch blade & the back of the contact with a q-tip & brake clean, air dry & then put a bit of flux on the blade hole. Position the contact on the blade & just solder it on.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from bintzknocker:

I've tapped the back of the contact with a ball peen hammer. Have also soldered them in too. Just double check that you have 1 switch blade instead of 2 before attaching the contact. (don't ask how i know)

That's also the way I did it. A vise and a ball peen hammer to set the contact for silver contacts. However, for gold flashed and tungsten contacts I soldered only. The heavy tungsten contacts used for high current flipper switches cannot take being hammered (they shatter) so solder only for those.

#10 9 years ago

Thank you all for your responses! I will be soldering the contacts to the switch leaves. Some great tips here, thanks again!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-help-making-leaf-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.