Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DreamOn.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I was a 80s baby and grew up in a solid state of mind , but thinking about adding a EM to my gameroom , any suggestions ???

Also looking to buy in rhode island area

#2 9 years ago

Get one that works.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from lockednlit:

I was a 80s baby and grew up in a solid state of mind , but thinking about adding a EM to my gameroom , any suggestions ???

Got too many suggestions... but these are all games that *I* like.

Try to play some EM's and see which one(s) YOU like.

I know this isn't easy, as you don't see them on route anymore, or would be rare to do so.

But maybe you can seek out EM collectors in your area. Usually, they don't mind and sometimes even 'welcome' other pinball players to play their games. If you lived near, I would invite you over here.

Or perhaps go to a show??

Bottom line... do your homework first! homework homework homework

#5 9 years ago

Yeah, get one that works is right!

Add that to the list.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Get one that works.

+1

#7 9 years ago

70's Gottlieb drop target game pretty good starting place.

#8 9 years ago

Well that narrows it down...

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from lockednlit:

Where are you located?

If you are lucky enough to be in an area that has and EM pinball establishment, then you can play and get a feel for ones you may like.

Then it all depends on how handy your are.

Most EM's can be fixed if you have some skills are willing to troubleshoot.

#10 9 years ago

Live in rhode island , hopefully ill find a babysitter really want to fly to tpf end of this month and maybe play some there , last em i remember really liking was old chicago , maybe my search will start there

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Well that narrows it down...

Ok, Abra Ca Dabra. Not many people dislike it, good ruleset, good art etc.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Ok, Abra Ca Dabra. Not many people dislike it, good ruleset, good art etc.

Would you suggest I should pass on these then?

DreamOn.jpgDreamOn.jpg

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from lockednlit:

Live in rhode island , hopefully ill find a babysitter really want to fly to tpf end of this month and maybe play some there , last em i remember really liking was old chicago , maybe my search will start there

Allentown show is closer!!

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Allentown show is closer!!

yup... and right around the corner...

#15 9 years ago

I just like the conveinence of stepping out of my room getting in the elavator and heading down to the grand ballroom i dont have to leave the place all weekend ,being at a fairgrounds seems like a drag compared . I miss texas too , if i can't pawn off 3 kids to some suckers (family) allentown it will be

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from lockednlit:

being at a fairgrounds seems like a drag compared

Sounds like my kind of show............lots of em's and an indoor/outdoor flea market. What else could a person want?

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

What else could a person want?

Space. Funds.

#18 9 years ago

And the rest of the hoard that goes with those two above.

#19 9 years ago

lockednlit. I hope to see you at TPF. You will have a blast! 500 games on display! Plenty of people to meet! Come on down! Cheap flights, cheap accommodations and surrounded by places to eat in walking distance.

#20 9 years ago

I always suggest that anyone going into EM's for the first time, start with a single player, preferably a wedgehead, they are great playing games, and far less intimidating to learn how to fix.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

What else could a person want?

A great farmers market at the show too!!

#22 9 years ago

Decide if you want a single player or multi player game. Then, do you want a game with 2" flippers, or 3" flippers? Do you like drop targets? There are a few 2" flipper games with drop targets, but most drop target games have 3" flippers. If you're not comfortable with repairing EMs, then take the advice posted above; get a game that works properly. You may have to pay a little more for that, and pay a lot more if you buy a game from a dealer who may provide some type of warrantee. Most, if not just about all EM games were not licensed themes, but simply generic ones. There are many different themes to choose from in EM pins. Gottlieb made some super playing-card themed games. They were noted for that. The selection there is huge because that theme spans the woodrail era to the end of the EM era, with single and multi player games in both add a ball and replay formats. There are pool and bowling themed games, western themed games and many other general themes as well. Do a search on ipdb.org, and look at each game's ratings. I, for one, prefer Gottlieb EMs, as these were the best designed and best built games of the EM era. Not that there weren't some very good games by the other manufacturers, but Gottlieb is the overwhelming choice among EM collectors. Play as many EMs as you can wherever you can find them so that you can make a better decision as to what game is right for you. Keep us posted.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-first-em-any-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.