You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image5 (resized).png
pasted_image4 (resized).png
pasted_image3 (resized).png
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

I don't really see a shortcut here. If it were me, I would tear the rubber roof surface off and structurally support the perimeter framing properly before attaching the rail so that it will accommodate loads per code requirements, then reinstall EDPM membrane, proper sloped sleepers and flooring over the roof.

"With the standard safety factor of 2.5 used by engineers, that means railing and posts must be designed to resist a 300-pound uniform load or a 500 pound point load. The main concern is a push outward from people leaning against the railing. Few older deck railings can meet this requirement, but building inspectors and professional deck builders are starting to pay more attention to this critical detail. Even if you can squeak by with a weaker railing, do you really want to?"
The excerpt above is part of a larger detail here - https://buildingadvisor.com/materials/decks-porches/building-deck-railings/

First, find out your local code requirements. I'd also make sure the flashing systems, joist tape and caulking is done properly as a part of the rebuild.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Cost will drive that decision. I don't think the house will sell better with one versus the other. If I were keeping it then I'd go composite, no doubt.

Realize that you will likely only recoup an average investment of 80 percent of the deck cost. If you spend $10000 on a deck, you'll add around $8000 to the value of the home. (In theory)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-deck-building-advice?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.