You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image5 (resized).png
pasted_image4 (resized).png
pasted_image3 (resized).png
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kcZ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

The wife and I decided to list our house or should I say prepare to list it as I have a large list of things to complete prior. Here's the one that is hanging me up the most... the deck that is above our living room.

So we bought this house about 8 years ago. It had a deck above the living room which overlooks the hillside woods that we live in. After a year of ownership, we decided to reside the house (re-insulate and install AC in the process) and as a result the deck was torn off and never reinstalled although there is a door to go up there from inside the house and half a stairway on both ends. The old deck was treated decking sitting on top of 1" pvc sleepers and railing as you see in the pictures. The roofing on this area is EPDM rubber and appears to be in good shape.
House as bought 8 years ago... uglyHouse as bought 8 years ago... ugly

For the new deck, I plan to put down treated 2x4 sleepers with EPDM rubber on the bottom side parallel with the floor joists. I will cut these sleepers so that the resulting deck is level (rooftop slopes to drain). I go back and forth on whether or not to palletize the new floor so that it is easily removed to clean the rooftop. The old floor was just resting on the PVC pipes at an angle like shown.
pasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image3 (resized).pngpasted_image3 (resized).png
Here is how it sits today...
pasted_image4 (resized).pngpasted_image4 (resized).png
pasted_image5 (resized).pngpasted_image5 (resized).png
I'm a little hung up on the railing system. It looks like it was just 4x4's screwed into the side of the house, nothing puncturing the topside of the rubber roof (well maybe a couple L brackets, IIRC). The top of this rubber roof is probably 12-15' off the ground. I would caulk the side of the 4x4 that face the house, I could even apply some rubber in order for it to not leak in the mounting holes.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I am going to have someone come out and quote it... ughhh, that is not going to be cheap.

#5 4 years ago

Yeah... probably why it has gone so long without me doing much about it. It really could be a great deck and should be done correct, especially considering that we plan on listing the house after it is complete.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

I'd use composite vs wood, never warps and don't have to treat it or stain it.

Cost will drive that decision. I don't think the house will sell better with one versus the other. If I were keeping it then I'd go composite, no doubt.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

This will be big bucks. I am an estimator for construction.

Yeah but it needs to get done. Probably won't be able to afford composite.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kcZ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-deck-building-advice?tu=kcZ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.