View topic image gallery

20201103_184041 (resized).jpg
20201103_184423 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hello! This is my first post!

I recently acquired a Xenon table and have been having a ball. It recently started acting funny and found that TP4 was reading 0v on the rectifier board. It seems like this is a common issue and I would like to replace the original AS-2518-54 board.

However, when I started searching it turns out there are a few different ones available.

https://ksarcade.net/new-replacement-bally-power-module-as-2518-54.html
https://www.arcadeshop.com/i/911/bally-power-rectifier-board-for-late-80s-pins.htm
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AS-2518-54
https://www.pindorabox.com/bally-power-rectifier-board.html

I also found a couple threads on pinside pointing to the marco unit (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-as-2518-54-rectifier-board-ebd#post-4847660) but am not if that is still the way to go...

Any recommendation? Is there anything I should avoid?

Thank you!

#2 3 years ago

One thing that annoys me with all of them - they were all too cheap to install real test points. Just to save a few pennies! When I see this, all I can think is "where else did they cut corners"?

Out of those choices - the one at Marco looks best. The designer knew enough to put as many high current traces as possible on the *bottom* side of the board where the high current connectors are soldered onto the board. The Marco board appears to be the same as K'sArcade except the Marco board has heat sinks on the two bridges.

The original boards were easily repairable. Did you check the fuse and fuse clips associated with TP4?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from jchase:

Hello! This is my first post!
I recently acquired a Xenon table and have been having a ball. It recently started acting funny and found that TP4 was reading 0v on the rectifier board. It seems like this is a common issue and I would like to replace the original AS-2518-54 board.
However, when I started searching it turns out there are a few different ones available.
https://ksarcade.net/new-replacement-bally-power-module-as-2518-54.html
https://www.arcadeshop.com/i/911/bally-power-rectifier-board-for-late-80s-pins.htm
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AS-2518-54
https://www.pindorabox.com/bally-power-rectifier-board.html
I also found a couple threads on pinside pointing to the marco unit (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-as-2518-54-rectifier-board-ebd#post-4847660) but am not if that is still the way to go...
Any recommendation? Is there anything I should avoid?
Thank you!

Great Informative First Post!!
Welcome to Pinside!

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Did you check the fuse and fuse clips associated with TP4?

I did pull all the fuses and checked them all for continuity. I'm not sure how to check the fuse clips; they didn't have any obvious issue.

The problem isn't consistent and sometimes the table plays fine but will shut down after some time. I'm wondering if thermal expansion is messing with a cold solder joint; maybe reflowing the soldering points will resolve it.

Any thoughts on what the intermittent problem might indicate?

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Great Informative First Post!!
Welcome to Pinside!

Thank you! I've been lurking for a while and have solved a couple problems based on existing threads. This forum is great!

#5 3 years ago

Intermittent is often a connector issue. Most probably there is at least one plug in there that needs repinning.
For good info - see here:
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

#6 3 years ago

barakandl has replacement rectifier boards at https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html but I don’t see the 2518-54 listed. His quality is excellent, if he has one I’d consider buying his.

#7 3 years ago

I have the Marco one in my flash Gordon and i also used on in a friends eight ball Deluxe that i fixed. Great boards.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

barakandl has replacement rectifier boards at https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html but I don’t see the 2518-54 listed. His quality is excellent, if he has one I’d consider buying his.

I actually Just ordered the blank PCBs. Made the first prototype one a couple years ago and put it on the shelf for other things. Had some time lately so got this back out. Split the GI into two fuses. 43v bridge changed to 10a10 diodes. Feature lamp bridge will go on the bottom and mount against the large bracket like the original board did. Put the holes in so will be able to put the plastic shield over it. Traces are very wide and most are on the bottom. Any connectors with a top side trace connection has extra through holes to pass to the bottom side.

I have to buy different bridges though. Was not paying close enough attention but the Vishay brand GBPC35XXW bridges are only around 0.3" inches thick where the original (normal) are 0.45" thick so they will not mount right here.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I actually Just ordered the blank PCBs. Made the first prototype one a couple years ago and put it on the shelf for other things. Had some time lately so got this back out. Split the GI into two fuses. 43v bridge changed to 10a10 diodes. Feature lamp bridge will go on the bottom and mount against the large bracket like the original board did. Put the holes in so will be able to put the plastic shield over it. Traces are very wide and most are on the bottom. Any connectors with a top side trace connection has extra through holes to pass to the bottom side.
I have to buy different bridges though. Was not paying close enough attention but the Vishay brand GBPC35XXW bridges are only around 0.3" inches thick where the original (normal) are 0.45" thick so they will not mount right here.
[quoted image]

I would be all over this when you get it finished, like your DIY products. How are things looking for the reselling of the MPU boards?

#10 3 years ago

MPU back in stock soon, probably before end of the week.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Feature lamp bridge will go on the bottom and mount against the large bracket like the original board did.

Bravo!
I just don't understand why others aren't using that big thermal mass of the base plate to help keep that bridge cool.

Quoted from barakandl:

the Vishay brand GBPC35XXW bridges are only around 0.3" inches thick

The KBPC35XXW are the thicker bridges.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Bravo!
I just don't understand why others aren't using that big thermal mass of the base plate to help keep that bridge cool.

The KBPC35XXW are the thicker bridges.

Yeah, I am not sure either. Maybe to get the layout they wanted they could not place the bridge's center hole where it lines up with the bracket. Putting bridge on the top also likely blocks from using the drip shield if the bridges heat sinks are tall. The designs without any heat sink on this bridge are going to get smoking hot.

Thanks for that part number, I will have to look for it. I have always shopped in the GBPC350XW part number. Was buying Fairchild ones for a long time which are thicker type. They got more expensive when On Semi bought them out so I tried Vishay. Now I have a couple hundred of the thinner ones. They still have the 35a rating as the thicker Fairchild ones but have to figure the thicker ones have better thermal properties. I did upgrade the heat sink on the -16 rectifier to a 35x35x17mm heat sink designed for bridges. Seems to great for bridges so I can still use up those Vishay bridges there and some other places.

#13 3 years ago

For bridge rectifier thickness between GBPC versus KBPC -- it is the specific manufacturer that makes the difference.
For example -
Fairchild / ON-Semiconductor GBPC is 10.97 to 11.23mm thick.
Taiwan Semconductor - GBPC is 10.97 to 11.23mm thick.
MCC GBPC is 7.4 to 8.5mm thick.
Doitec Semiconductor KBPC is 7.2mm to 8mm thick.
EIC Semiconductor KBPC is 7.1 to 7.9mm thick.
Vishay GBPC is 7.4 to 7.9mm thick.

SIC (whoever they are) and Comchip seem to be the only ones that follows the KBPC being thicker than GBPC.
SIC GBPC is 7.5mm to 8.1mm thick.
SIC KBPC is 10.97 to 11.23mm thick.
Comchip GBPC is 7.5 to 8.5mm thick.
Comchip KBPC is 10.77 to 11.23mm thick.

All of the ON-Semi (formerly Fairchild) bridges that I have been getting have been the thicker style.
ON-Semi did what they do best - they hiked the prices for their bridges to the moon and won't budge on pricing. I don't care for Vishay - the leads turn black far too soon.

Just as bad - have seen what has happened to Aavid heat sinks? Bought out by Boyd and prices have quadrupled since January. Looking into getting heat sinks custom made to compete with the 6222BG heat sinks. The heat sinks shown in last photo - too bad they don't publicize the thermal resistance of these. Those work but are actually a hair too big for bridge rectifiers, would have been better at 29x29mm.

#14 3 years ago

Besides those brand X ones I posted above for bridges have been buying CUI heat sinks lately. They seem like new brand and I found many similar to Aavid products that are a lot better priced.

#15 3 years ago

CUI has been around for quite awhile - we use their wall warts quite often, they work well.
They're new to heat sinks but they won't make bridge rectifier heat sinks. I know - I asked.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I did upgrade the heat sink on the -16 rectifier to a 35x35x17mm heat sink designed for bridges.

On the -16 rectifier board, as you're now using discrete diodes for the 12V and 43V rectification, at some point you can probably also move that feature lamp bridge to the back side of the board lined up with the original screw hole since there's no other bridges to get in the way anymore.

Will you be supplying thermal transfer paste with your -54 rectifier board and if so, what thermal conductivity spec are you looking at?

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

On the -16 rectifier board, as you're now using discrete diodes for the 12V and 43V rectification, at some point you can probably also move that feature lamp bridge to the back side of the board lined up with the original screw hole since there's no other bridges to get in the way anymore.
Will you be supplying thermal transfer paste with your -54 rectifier board and if so, what thermal conductivity spec are you looking at?

Yes, I buy the little ketchup packets of heat sink compound for the kits which would go with the -54. I forget what spec they are, china grey grease, it is adequate here.

With the -16 rectifier I will investigate putting the bridge on the back. May have to include (different) new mounting hardware and I guess the slug thing attached the all three bridges would be not used. Free heat sink is attractive.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Feature lamp bridge will go on the bottom and mount against the large bracket like the original board did.

You might have to include a screw for the bridge in case the owner doesn't have them for what ever reason. I think they are 1" long, #8-32 thread?? can't remember - best to check.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

You might have to include a screw for the bridge in case the owner doesn't have them for what ever reason. I think they are 1" long, #8-32 thread?? can't remember - best to check.

I was thinking about the PCB stand off height versus bridge height on the back of PCB need to be near equally matched, but yeah screw length to be considered too.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I was thinking about the PCB stand off height versus bridge height on the back of PCB need to be near equally matched, but yeah screw length to be considered too.

Are these for the -54 rectifier board? Does the screw for the optional standoff fit through the threaded hole in the large base plate?

1 week later
#21 3 years ago

Those stand offs above are for the -18 rectifier. I would like to find a source press in pcb stand offs bally used in the pennies each range. 20201103_184423 (resized).jpg20201103_184423 (resized).jpg

Prototype seems to be ok. I have a few things to tweak.

As far as the test posts vs pads. It is not the cost of the post but assembly. Any shortcuts in hand assembly are taken. I buy diode and resistor arrays at higher cost than discreet parts because assembly is easier. Seriously considering pick and place machine, reflow oven and solder stencils but a good setup is expensive. So far farming out assembly is not making $ sense. Nice little business hand assembly but at a limit of what can be done per time. Need more low hanging fruit like relay boards.
20201103_184041 (resized).jpg20201103_184041 (resized).jpg

4 months later
#22 3 years ago

barakandl

Any update on these new 2518-54 boards? You are my go-to when replacing Bally sound or rectifier boards.

Thanks,

WP

6 months later
#23 2 years ago

How are you making out with these? Im in need of some.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

How are you making out with these? Im in need of some.

I would contact him directly. Not a great idea to try for a response on social media in most cases.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-as-2518-54-replacement-recommendation?hl=jdissen87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.