50%

(145 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1104.jpg
IMG_1108.JPG
image-922.jpg
image-33.jpg
There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

I have unsuccessfully tried to find an Iron Man, so while I still would like to find one eventually, I'd like to expand my current search to X-Men LE.

I haven't played an Avatar which people say is pretty good, but I have played a couple games on an X-Men and thought it was fun.

So if someone has an X-Men LE in NorCal for sale, please let me know.

If someone near me in Norcal has an Avatar, I'd like to come and play it if possible.

Thanks.

Robert

#2 9 years ago

Well, after searching I have a lead on an Iron Man.

I'm still torn between the depth and design of the XM vs. the fun I've had playing IM.

I know that there has been discussions between these 2 pins, 10 months ago, just wondering what others are thinking now.

I recently have been leaning towards an X-Men LE, but since a line on an IM came up it's not so clear.

The rarity of the IM makes me think that in the future it would be easier to sell.

Thoughts?

Robert

#3 9 years ago

Less Xmen LE than IM
Both fun games but if I was spending the money I'd go Xmen
The new code really made Xmen come together IMO

#4 9 years ago

Avatar is WAY more like Ironman than X-Men. In fact when I had Avatar and IM they were so similar I decided to just keep one (Avatar).

Ironman is more fun and exciting than X-Men. X-Men, IMO, doesn't really have depth...it has a lot of content, which amounts to a checklist of Heroes and Villains to play through. Ironman, while absolutely simplistic, actually has more strategy....some may consider that strategy makes it deeper than X-Men.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Avatar is WAY more like Ironman than X-Men. In fact when I had Avatar and IM they were so similar I decided to just keep one (Avatar).
Ironman is more fun and exciting than X-Men. X-Men, IMO, doesn't really have depth...it has a lot of content, which amounts to a checklist of Heroes and Villains to play through. Ironman, while absolutely simplistic, actually has more strategy....some may consider that strategy makes it deeper than X-Men.

Do you still prefer avatar over IM to this day now that they're both gone from your lineup?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Avatar is WAY more like Ironman than X-Men.

The thing is I haven't played Avatar, I don't think. I may have played 1 or 2 balls at Expo a few years ago...but i'm not really sure. In any case, not enough to remember it or have an opinion.

So, perhaps if someone in NorCal has an Avatar, I'd like to come and play it if possible.

Too many good choices and not that much space or money.

Robert

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

In fact when I had Avatar and IM they were so similar I decided to just keep one (Avatar).

So, would you say Avatar pro would be the way to go?

I'd like to add it to the poll, but I don't think I can.

Robert

#8 9 years ago

Depends what you prefer ...

If you want a short playing game that kicks your ass all the time, buy an Ironman.

If you want something that you can have a good 20-30 minute game on (if you're playing well) with good challenging shots, go Xmen.

With the high price Ironman is selling for, Xmen LE for $5000 odd is a no brainer IMO.

rd.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Xmen LE for $5000 odd is a no brainer IMO

Yes, but I haven't seen an X-Men LE for ~$5k near me, or anywhere else either.

Robert

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

So, would you say Avatar pro would be the way to go?
I'd like to add it to the poll, but I don't think I can.
Robert

I prefer the LE, but it's generally the same game. LE has extra clearcoat (confirmed), metal apron w/ blue light up windows during 2x scoring, powerball for 2x scoring, extra switch on the ramp, some extra lights/flashers if I remember correctly, built in shaker, more detail on the AMP suit w/ Quarritch inside, a bit more movement cuz he has coils on his feet, extra toys (Na'vi & Banshee...but you could add these yourself on a Pro). LE's aren't that expensive, so might as well just go that route, IMO.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Do you still prefer Avatar over IM to this day now that they're both gone from your lineup?

They're about even, IMO. Each one has something slightly cooler than the other, but it evens out.

For IM, I like having two ramps, the kickback & Monger bash/magnet action.

For Avatar, I like the tight AMP "kill shot", the Na'vi lock/captive ball shot, having a real actor from the movie do custom voices, and the rules are a bit deeper/robust/satisfying.

Both have excellent movie music & shaker FX.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Less Xmen LE than IM
Both fun games but if I was spending the money I'd go Xmen
The new code really made Xmen come together IMO

XM is literally 5x the game IM is. Way more bang for the buck, especially in a home environment.

#12 9 years ago

I got rid of my X-men LE recently and miss it a ton already, I fully plan on getting one back someday, likely sooner rather than later.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Yes, but I haven't seen an X-Men LE for ~$5k near me, or anywhere else either.
Robert

How about this one?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-xm-le-wolveriene-edition

They seem to all be asking 5000-5500.

Not your neighbourhood though. But they're out there.

rd.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

How about this one?

I've traded emails with Phil, he would rather sell local.

But at $5400 + ~$400 shipping, it's sort of more than I wanted to spend.

I can get a NIB shipped for ~$6500..which is even more; ugggggg.

I may be able to get a IM for around $5k shipped...which I'm hoping the pinsider seller will come thru for me.

I really liked playing both IM & XM...not sure which I would really like better, as my games on each are limited...with a few more on IM.

Robert

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I've traded emails with Phil, he would rather sell local.
But at $5400 + ~$400 shipping, it's sort of more than I wanted to spend.
I can get a NIB shipped for ~$6500..which is even more; ugggggg.

Thanks,

I was/am looking for local sale.

thanks for the mention rotodave. But selling pin long distance is something I have never done, and as the extra cost of shipping kind of kills the deal in some cases.

#16 9 years ago

IM for $5K sounds good.

#17 9 years ago

Go for the IM.Add a shaker ,subwoofer , and led's, and that game will rock you !

#18 9 years ago

I'd jump on that IM at 5k shipped. Especially if it's HUO.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

IM for $5K sounds good.

Well, it's not a done deal and I have no idea of the condition.

Robert

#20 9 years ago

l'm in the honeymoon phase with both IM and ST pro, and l dig Star Trek Pro wayyy more. That may be, because l have played Avatar A LOT, and to me the approach and rules on how you play are so similar. Almost like the two games were made only months apart....oh wait..they were. I think the shots in Avatar rival, or may be better than those in Iron Man- except Iron man has good ramps and Avatars ramp really blows.

Also, l find Xmen Pro a helluva alot like TRON pro, Tron of course having the better theme. Xmen theme does little to nothing for me, but the game plays so tight and so much like Tron imho, l have an open mind to getting one for how much less they are than Tron.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

XM is literally 5x the game IM is. Way more bang for the buck, especially in a home environment.

I don't have enough time on an XM to be able to comment; but my concern is that I may feel that way after a few months.

But if I do, I expect to be able to sell the IM for about what I paid.

Robert

#22 9 years ago

grab an xmen while some people are hating on it and prices are fairly low [for an LE].
I got a magneto several months ago and still haven't figured out all the rules. hard ass game with longevity, IMHO.

we got an Iron Man in at work and I shopped it with LEDs and while it's a pretty game to look at, it just gets repetitive very quickly and wouldn't be one I'd want in a home environment.

worst thing about xmen is the callouts are almost as bad as 24's. BUT some pinsiders are on the case to fix all that someday soon.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I don't have enough time on an XM to be able to comment; but my concern is that I may feel that way after a few months.
Robert

Xmen is not 5x the game IM in any way. IM is a stacking dream! Knowing what modes to bring together is key. Xmen is better with the new code but still feels cluttered and wolverine needs a lot modding or replacement to get that beast shot to be satisfying.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I got a magneto several months ago and still haven't figured out all the rules.

Where did you get yours?

Robert

#26 9 years ago

it certainly may, but probably not for at least a month.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

BUT some pinsiders are on the case to fix all that someday soon.

Yes, I've been following that thread.

Robert

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

it certainly may, but probably not for at least a month.

OK, keep me posted.

Robert

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Xmen is not 5x the game IM in any way. IM is a stacking dream! Knowing what modes to bring together is key. Xmen is better with the new code but still feels cluttered and wolverine needs a lot modding or replacement to get that beast shot to be satisfying.

I'm sorry but Xmen is much more of a game than IM. I haven't touched my Wolverine, other than having it repainted. The code is amazing, way better than IM. There's a reason they stopped making them and no one was buying them. It wasn't initial mech and code issues like xmen. Think about that. The only reason for the rise in price is now there are only a few? Typical Cactus Canyon and BBB inflated crap!

#30 9 years ago

Buy them all

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Just because you can stack in IM doesn't mean it has a lot going on. Iron Man scoing, Whiplash, Monger, Boogey Scoring, War Machine and lighting roll overs...you can see the whole game in less than 10 minutes. XM has a ton going on; 4 multiball modes, 8 hero modes (9 if you count Nightcrawler), 7 villain modes, 2 mini wizard modes, plus more...and you can stack in XM too. It's 5x the game of IM in multiple ways.

I don't understand the Wolverine placement criticism either. I have played the LE and Pro extensively and have never had problems shooting the Beast shot. The challenge now is actually hitting the shot on the backend for the Gambit hurry-up for huge points.

#32 9 years ago

As an IM owner, l would probably trade it even for an XMEN LE. l've played a lot of pins, and it's not that IM can't be fun, but its code is built like a system 11 (really)
l find the best thing about Iron Man is it appears to be rare and limited in production. Otherwise, l could be content playing an Avatar for thousands less and not miss IM. l think some people will catch on soon to this.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

l could be content playing an Avatar for thousands less and not miss IM.

Well, an HUO Avatar pro (on ebay now) is $4200 shipped and an IM I have a line on is about $5k shipped.

So the ones I have on the horizon are not 1000's different.

But the Avatar is HUO and the IM is probably routed and in good shape. So a HUO IM is probably $6.2k...so perhaps $2k more; so I do see your point....HUO to HUO.

Also, the Avatar is from the game room guys, so it's probably HUO since they got it.

If someone in the bay area has an Avatar I'd like to come and see it.

Robert

#34 9 years ago

It's all a matter of opinion, but I wouldn't put XM in the same league or discussion with IM. IM is 20x better.

#35 9 years ago

Grab XM now. Things are going to be happening to make it much better soon.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Grab XM now. Things are going to be happening to make it much better soon

Yes, I've been following your thread.

The only thing is that NIB XM are ~$6500 and used ones are ~$6k, shipped.

I need to find one at ~$5k near me.

Robert

#37 9 years ago

The nice thing about buying a HUO one is that it is sure to have the replaced AUX boards and probably some mods. I was in the same boat, and found way better deals on HUO games with several hundred $$$ in mods, and already fixed vs. NIB.

#38 9 years ago

As an IM owner, l would probably trade it even for an XMEN LE. l've played a lot of pins, and it's not that IM can't be fun, but its code is built like a system 11 (really)
l find the best thing about Iron Man is it appears to be rare and limited in production. Otherwise, l could be content playing an Avatar for thousands less and not miss IM. l think some people will catch on soon to this.

I don't think IM's code is at all like a System 11 game, unless there are sys 11 games that offer a bunch of stacking multiballs and modes (I can't think of any). BSD is the closest comparison I can come up with.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Just because you can stack in IM doesn't mean it has a lot going on. Iron Man scoing, Whiplash, Monger, Boogey Scoring, War Machine and lighting roll overs...you can see the whole game in less than 10 minutes.

I think that's kind of the point, short brutal games with stacking. Getting to 10 minutes play time would be quite an achievement on factory outlanes. The one route game of IM I saw stats for had 3050 plays, not one game over 8 minutes, highest score was in the 30 to 39 mil range. Only one person started Do or Die hurry up, one person Jericho.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Just because you can stack in IM doesn't mean it has a lot going on. Iron Man scoing, Whiplash, Monger, Boogey Scoring, War Machine and lighting roll overs...you can see the whole game in less than 10 minutes. XM has a ton going on; 4 multiball modes, 8 hero modes (9 if you count Nightcrawler), 7 villain modes, 2 mini wizard modes, plus more...and you can stack in XM too. It's 5x the game of IM in multiple ways.
I don't understand the Wolverine placement criticism either. I have played the LE and Pro extensively and have never had problems shooting the Beast shot. The challenge now is actually hitting the shot on the backend for the Gambit hurry-up for huge points.

Where's that applauding icon thing? Couldn't agree more.

Here it is!!

rd

#41 9 years ago

I have not played XM LE but I've played the pro a lot in league, as well as IM and Avatar. If I had to rate which one I would want at home I would have to go X-Men......... Iron Man.......... Avatar.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I don't think IM's code is at all like a System 11 game, unless there are sys 11 games that offer a bunch of stacking multiballs and modes (I can't think of any). BSD is the closest comparison I can come up with.

Whirlwind has modes. I consider Banzai to have modes.
Besides stacking, the gameplay is as shallow as a System 11. That would be like me saying that IM doesn't have the 3 sirens on the top of the backbox like F14. Both games are still going to kick your ass, and both games have about as much depth as a kiddie pool.

#43 9 years ago

Besides stacking, the gameplay is as shallow as a System 11. That would be like me saying that IM doesn't have the 3 sirens on the top of the backbox like F14. Both games are still going to kick your ass, and both games have about as much depth as a kiddie pool.

No argument about depth, but quantity of depth doesn't not always equate to fun. To me, IM is way more fun than XMEN. After a game of XMEN I just don't want to push start again, but after a game of IM I can't wait to press start again. It's shallow, yes. But it's still a hell of a game. IM > Avatar > Xmen.

#44 9 years ago

I have IM and it is great. X-Men has that ugly yellow guy taking up the whole left side that ruins what could have been a good game. There is a reason why x-men continue to drop in price and it isn't because they are keepers.

#45 9 years ago

WW doesn't have modes, unless you consider "lower jets at max" or "500k" or "Extra Ball lit" a mode, lol. To even compare WW and IM is ridiculous, I've owned both and WW has zero stacking and just the one multiball (unless quick multiball counts as a second, even though it's the same thing?), I'm not sure how that is even comparable to something that allows you to stack 4 things simultaneously, has 4 multiballs, 1 miniwizard (do or die), a wizard(jericho) and a super wizard (do or die multiball) mode. There are a ton of different ways to try and get a high score on IM, there's really only one on WW (multiball jackpots). Obviously it is not the deepest game ever but to even compare it to WW is ludicrous.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

I have IM and it is great. X-Men has that ugly yellow guy taking up the whole left side that ruins what could have been a good game. There is a reason why x-men continue to drop in price and it isn't because they are keepers.

I agree that it takes up too much real estate, but it's more than just the ugly yellow guy taking up too much space. Xmen plays much like a tighter shot Tron with rules, though Tron theme trumps Xmen theme. I think the theme is the biggest reason it has dropped, or continues to. Not as many can relate to it.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

WW has zero stacking and just the one multiball (unless quick multiball counts as a second, even though it's the same thing?),

I think we can all agree on calling quick multiball a multiball. I mean...it's right in the name and everything

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Robert

Robert. I invite you to come and play My X-Men LE if you like. PM me if you want to take me up on my offer.

#49 9 years ago

I agree that it takes up too much real estate, but it's more than just the ugly yellow guy taking up too much space. Xmen plays much like a tighter shot Tron with rules, though Tron theme trumps Xmen theme. I think the theme is the biggest reason it has dropped, or continues to. Not as many can relate to the theme.

Disagree. X-Men theme is WAAAAY more mainstream and beloved than Tron. Tron is pretty niche...beloved by 80's arcade culture geeks, mostly (and I say that with peace and love). X-Men has "dropped" because it's merely decent. It is what it is. I think it's hard to predict which games will have that "special pinball magic sauce" - but Tron has it. Iron Man has it. X-Men doesn't.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

WW doesn't have modes, unless you consider "lower jets at max" or "500k" or "Extra Ball lit" a mode, lol.
blockquote>

What modes does Iron Man have? I have a bogey on my tail? Whiplash multiball that last all of 3 seconds? Fast scoring? Double scoring? It's built more like ''lower jets at max'' than you think. It's also built to kick your ass for 75 cents, just as Avatar is.

There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-an-x-men-le-in-norcal?hl=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.