New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 249225)

Looking for advice to sell a 9 pinball collection

By jarch

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by adol75
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

In our current house we have a dedicated basement game room that hosts 9 pinballs comfortably. My wife and I are planning to move in the next few years now that our kids are in college and likely won't have space for this collection in the new location (based on our current plan/goals). Does anyone have advice on how to sell these 9 pinballs as a collection when the time comes around? I see many single pinball sales listed here and elsewhere, but selling a collection seems a little more complicated. Pinballs in question are all first owner HUO: TWD LE, GOTG LE, SW Prem, DP LE (#2!), IMDN LE, GB Prem, AFMre LE, MBre LE & MMre standard. Selling them individually seems like the best way to get the maximum resale value, but I would prefer the convenience of selling all at once and giving the buyer a good "package deal" price. Anyhow, I'm sure this has come up before, so thanks a ton for any feedback or advice y'all can share!

#2 1 year ago

If you sell all at once you will take a huge hit. Sell them one at a time and offer discounts for multiple purchases.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from jarch:

In our current house we have a dedicated basement game room that hosts 9 pinballs comfortably. My wife and I are planning to move in the next few years now that our kids are in college and likely won't have space for this collection in the new location (based on our current plan/goals). Does anyone have advice on how to sell these 9 pinballs as a collection when the time comes around? I see many single pinball sales listed here and elsewhere, but selling a collection seems a little more complicated. Pinballs in question are all first owner HUO: TWD LE, GOTG LE, SW Prem, DP LE (#2!), IMDN LE, GB Prem, AFMre LE, MBre LE & MMre standard. Selling them individually seems like the best way to get the maximum resale value, but I would prefer the convenience of selling all at once and giving the buyer a good "package deal" price. Anyhow, I'm sure this has come up before, so thanks a ton for any feedback or advice y'all can share!

You're WAY better off selling them one at a time over the next couple years. You'll maximize your sale receipts this way. Selling a whole collection is harder and you have to give a dicsount over individual pricing. Fortunately, you're in a pin-active area. I'd start by listing all of them individually on Pinside and then when you get enough sold, delete the rest until you want to sell the next wave. That way you're under no time pressure. They sell when they sell over the next year or two.

You also have a great collection of almost all very desirable pins, which helps. GotG is the only outright stinker in the lot. The rest are all AAA titles.

Also, if you time things right, you might be able to sell a bunch in CA and OR and have Chris Fox do a special run up to WA (he usually does just CA and NV/AZ) to bring back down to buyers in OR and CA for much better (and more gentle) shipping at a cheaper price. His trailer can handle it looks like 12 or more pins at a time. If he was full with sales from yours and a few others, everyone could get theirs delivered for like $300 instead of $500 from the commercial services.

#4 1 year ago

Simple answer:
Not many hobbyist have the kind of cash to buy that many at one time. The only people that could reasonably afford to buy would be a retailer or well established flipper. So you are gonna need to discount the collection by a good amount.
Dollar for dollar your best bet would be to start selling them off one at a time. You can list at prices you want and just keep them advertised until they sell or closer to moving date and then try to sell whats left as a group.

#5 1 year ago

Even if you were willing to take 6k each which is very low someone would still have to come up with $54000.

Most people dont have this type of cash just laying around for a pinball purchase.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Even if you were willing to take 6k each which is very low someone would still have to come up with $54000.
Most people dont have this type of cash just laying around for a pinball purchase.

Yeah, but $54,000 CAD is like, what, $1.80 USD these days?

#7 1 year ago

Oh I know our dollar is terrible. I was referring to 54000 usd which is like 300k Canadian

#8 1 year ago

Your machines seem like they are the newer and more popular titles at this time. They will move quick if you price them to move. Sell them individually for sure. If you had a bunch of older titles that seem to wait for the proper buyer I would give you different advice.

Good Luck!

#9 1 year ago

Simple and realistic answer: you dont.

Individual sales all the way.

#10 1 year ago

That’s a great line up and you’re only an hour away, but it would be difficult for most collectors including me to come up with $60k+ to buy all of them. Then the buyer will have to sell off duplicates and ones not wanting to keep too, so there would have to be some incentive, as you said.

These would all sell within a couple weeks. Put them all up for sale here and CL at the same time and offer a small discount for multiple purchases to reduce the number of transactions needed. Otherwise, you’ll probably take too big a loss.

#11 1 year ago

If OP is down for a huge loss I'll offer $45k for the collection right now.

#12 1 year ago

Great advice, I really appreciate the input from everyone. Key points:

1. Sell individually over time
2. Offer some % discount for multiples
3. Cross list them on Pinside and CL
4. Price them to move

@Pin Monk: GOTG a stinker?! Aboboli-bo-aboboli-bo-bo is all I have to say to that

@Mitch: I'm getting ahead of myself, not ready to move just yet. Given the runway I'll probably list them to move (less than Pinside average), but not at a $5k/machine rate. Thanks very much for the offer though!

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

The rest are all AAA titles.

Ummm... MB, MM, and AFM are a-list titles, but his are the less desirable remakes. The others? Meh.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Ummm... MB, MM, and AFM are a-list titles, but his are the less desirable remakes. The others? Meh.

Don't take my word for it, look at marketplace sales $$$. They're all AAA except GotG LE.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

You mean the more desirable remakes. I'll take the remake over the original any day.

#16 1 year ago

As a seller, I have bought several collections like this. What others have said is right, you will take a big hit trying to sell all at once. Its not that the guys like me try to screw you buy wanting a large discount, its that it takes a lot of money (that the average person wouldn't consider a disposable amount) lots of time to get them, and find new buyers, and also, not all titles move fast, so you have to sit on some titles for a period of time, which is tying up money.

When your ready, your welcome to message me and I can help you out, I always can find buyers for things. I do things a few ways. I make a offer on the entire group, of course at a discounted price. I can help you determine value, and in some cases when people dont like the price I give them, they just pay me a commission to find buyers for them. I know you can always post on pinside/craigslist etc. But I have people always looking for things that are not online and see those post

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Ummm... MB, MM, and AFM are a-list titles, but his are the less desirable remakes.

Really? Top 100 #1, #2, and #3. They are still in production so pricing will be really easy.

#18 1 year ago

If you sell them there is a big chance you won’t be able to get them back. Why not wait and see what happens. You could put some of them in the garage and rotate them in. Just a thought.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from jarch:

Mitch: I'm getting ahead of myself, not ready to move just yet. Given the runway I'll probably list them to move (less than Pinside average), but not at a $5k/machine rate. Thanks very much for the offer though!

More a joke then a offer lol.

#20 1 year ago

Don't be in a rush to sell. Why wouldn't you be able to keep at least a few in the new place you are moving in to? Unless you really want out of the hobby or need the cash, hang on to them for now.

Rob

#21 1 year ago

Sell them individually.

#22 1 year ago

You're going to miss them ! Any chance you can squeeze one or two in the new place ? As a recent relocated to USA, I'm always surprised by how many bathrooms people have at their place, so there might be one to turn into a gameroom !

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside