1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by pghpinfan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which company makes a better reproduction playfield”

• Classic playfield reproductions 7 votes
      29%
    • Mirco (High class playfields) 17 votes
      71%

(24 votes)

#1 1 year ago

I'm looking into buying a new playfield,and I am wondering if anybody has experience with both.
    I have seen Some CPR gold class playflieds that were missing dimpling and had issues with the silk screening.
    I have never had the opportunity to look at a Mirco reproduction playfield before, so I dont know if they have issues as well.
    Ultimately I am looking for opinions on which is the better choice assuming that both companies made the same playfield.
    for instance Adams family is made by both now I believe.

Thanks in advance.

#2 1 year ago

seems like cpr has quality issues as of recently has this always been the issue?

#3 1 year ago

I've purchased many CPR playfields over the years.The CPR playfields I've purchased recently had issues, Two Fish Tales and Two Addams Family. The first Fish Tales had a spot of ink missing from the lantern in the middle of the playfield, just wood showing through. The replacement had very rough rippling in the clearcoat in the shooter lane.

I already addressed Addams Family in another post. scroll down until you see the playfield picture and start reading underneath the picture.

http://tinyurl.com/ycrue3uf

Mirco had issues when he started up, that's to be expected. He was very responsive to customer concerns and has a much better product these days. I have his Funhouse and Attack from Mars. I'll be buying an Addams Family from him.

#4 1 year ago

IMO, perfection is tough to obtain so there will always be some flaw, hopefully not noticed. I recently sent back a CPR playfield because of issues. However, I have seen beautiful cpr playfields too. I recently bought a Mirco taf and it’s awesome. It’s a toss up although mirco seems to have the slight edge.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from hawk370:

seems like cpr has quality issues as of recently has this always been the issue?

nah, not really.

CPR is a hand made product, just like the originals and there is going to be some variance when you are actually pulling multiple layers of silk screen by hand.
    Pretty sure those claiming lack of dimples all had dimples, but 13 plus layers of ink and then clear coat can fill in dimples so you have to look for them. The dimples are still there and lets be honest, topside dimples are few to begin with and expected that some are going to fill with ink during screening.

Lately there have been some ultra picky people complaining about things like some clear coat on the back of the pf (really, wtf?) and small ink misses that nobody is going to see behind a ramp once install.

Both CPR and Mirco are comparable but each have their issues also and could fine tune some stuff. Notable for me is that Mirco uses a softer wood than the originals and softer than what CPR uses (guessing they cant get the good stuff as easily overseas?).

They both provide a great product. For me personally, I will take a CPR everytime if there is an option. Mainly for the harder wood, better hand sprayed and buffed clearcoat, and the fact that they are still a hand made product in a way that is very similar to the originals.

If you are a person looking for perfection, then in bot cases the reproductions are your starting point. You should let them cure off for 6 months and then send them to a pro for touchups to make them perfect and reclear after inserts sink slightly. This is just a reality of how quick these are made and the products available for use now a days.

#7 1 year ago

Here's what I have to say after installing SEVERAL from both companies.

The trick to getting a great playfield is to hand-select yourself. I've not been impressed with CPR over the years, but I'm forever grateful for what they offer. It's always better than a beater. Mirco quality is about the same, but the difference is you can hand-select which pf you want when you buy them at shows.

#8 1 year ago

I need to add here that we use the hardest available wood on the market. Our wood is made for us with a hard inner birch and outer Canadian maple layers which have to fulfill highest tolerances. There is always a hardness tolerance as it is a natural product but if somebody writes that our wood is softer is simply wrong. We have a high end quality control during the whole process to avoid issues. Nevertheless the need of scoop protectors is still there.

Regards. Mirco

#9 1 year ago

I have bought from both companies and have had good experiences with both. My most recent purchase was an AFM playfield from Mirco and it's absolutely beautiful. Top notch work.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Highclasspinball:

I need to add here that we use the hardest available wood on the market. Our wood is made for us with a hard inner birch and outer Canadian maple layers which have to fulfill highest tolerances. There is always a hardness tolerance as it is a natural product but if somebody writes that our wood is softer is simply wrong. We have a high end quality control during the whole process to avoid issues. Nevertheless the need of scoop protectors is still there.
    Regards. Mirco

Exactly.

Whysnow, what say you?

#11 1 year ago

I’m fine with both. I have an AFM Mirco and I’ve seen many CPR fields after lots of plays and they are fine

#12 1 year ago

I bought an F-14 playfield from buthamburg at www.buthamburg.de. Top quality product. I had it perfected by kruzman after almost a year of letting it rest and settle. Peter has done other playfields, #HS2 and #BOP, as well and does things the same “hand made” CPR way that whysnow was talking about.

#13 1 year ago

CPR has done lots of good stuff. My taxi is great. They messed up the fish tales shooter Lane, didn't even answer an email asking about their recommended correction method. Lame.
    I believe alien is a micro playfield, if so the clearcoat seems a little better than CPR.

#14 1 year ago

Thanks everyone this helps alot!

11 months later
    #15 3 months ago

Any updates on comparisons here or is it still a toss up?

#16 3 months ago

I mean if you care at all about professionalism and ethics and false threatening someone with a lawsuit, then the answer is much easier to make. If all things are pretty similar play field wise I know where my money would not go because of those things.

#17 3 months ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

I mean if you care at all about professionalism and ethics and false threatening someone with a lawsuit, then the answer is much easier to make. If all things are pretty similar play field wise I know where my money would not go because of those things.

Missed all that so I need the scoop. PM me please if not appropriate for this thread

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 149.00
    $ 109.99
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 20.00
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 199.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 159.99
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside