Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DaWezl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MWink.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I've decided I'd like to try and get a pinball table but I'm pretty new to this and I'd like to get some advice. While I have a LOT (as in hundreds of hours) of experience playing virtual pinball games like TPA, Pinball FX2, Visual Pinball, etc. I have very little experience playing actual tables (in the real world). I know it's going to be a completely different experience and I'm looking forward to it. I also realize that a real table will require maintenance/repairs and I'm hoping I'll be able to learn to do that myself. I'm moderately competent repairing electronics. I know how to use a multi-meter, replace bad capacitors, etc. My biggest concerns are finding a good reasonably priced table that I enjoy, transporting it, and (most of all) the possibility of getting bored with it. I realize that I've been spoiled by the virtual pinball games, which offer me over 100 tables to choose from. I'm curious if people who own real tables find they tend to keep their interest or if/how fast they get bored with them?

I'm also curious what kind of game people recommend starting with? Do you guys recommend starting with an expensive, fancy table or something cheaper? I see advantages and disadvantages to both options. Here's a list of some of the tables that I might be interested in. I'd love to hear any comments you guys have on them:

- Star Trek: The Next Generation - This would probably be my holy grail. I'm a huge ST:TNG fan and I love almost everything about this table. It looks and sounds fantastic. I like the layout and it has reasonably deep rules. As I understand it, the one downside is that it tends to be high maintenance.

- Cirqus Voltaire - I have no idea why but I never seem to get tired of playing the TPA version. I'm not big on the theme but I find the audio outstanding. The gameplay doesn't seem especially deep but I find it enjoyable (I especially enjoy stacking the multi-ball modes). The biggest downside is that this table is probably outside what I'm willing to spend at this time.

- Attack from Mars - I love this table but it seems even further outside my price range.

- Jack*Bot - I love the whole *Bot series but this one seems to be the best. I love the theme, look, and audio. I understand this table tends to be pretty cheap for a DMD. My biggest concern is that the rules seem a bit shallow. Still, I find it quite enjoyable.

- RoadShow - This one also seems like a pretty good game for the price. I'm surprised how much I like it considering how much I dislike Funhouse. This one isn't super high on my list but it does seem to have value going for it.

- Who?Dunnit - I love the theme and the audio on this table but I've heard mixed opinions about it.

- Stargate - I've only played this on Visual Pinball and the physics on that version feel weird, so I don't think I've gotten a good feel for it. This table seems fairly interesting and I understand it's a pretty good value as well.

- LotR - Not too familiar with the movies but the table seems interesting. I hear it's very deep, which I consider a good thing.

- Simpsons Pinball Party - Another table I hear is very deep. I AM a big Simpsons fan but I feel this table is a little lacking in some areas (especially the audio).

- Genie - Obviously way simpler than anything else on the list. It's not much to look at or listen to but I like the layout and gameplay. I like how you have to work to build up the bonus + multiplier and that it is collectible without draining the ball!

- Lights Camera Action - I'm not sure it could keep my interest long term but I love this table for quick, brutal sessions. Making the million point shot is very satisfying.

- Star Trek Pro (2013) - I have never played this table in any form but I am quite curious about it. I'm a huge Star Trek fan, though not big on the movies this table is based on. Still, I'm quite interested in it.

So, there's a list of just some of the tables that have caught my attention. I'd love to hear people's opinions on owning them. Personally, I value a good layout and ruleset (and audio). I love deep rules but they tend to be mostly on the more expensive tables. I can tolerate simple but there are some things I can't stand. I dislike one or two-shot tables. While I like most things about Bride of Pin*Bot, I hate that you pretty much just have to hit the same two ramps over and over. I also dislike tables where most of the scoring is concentrated in the bonus, when it's capped and not collectible without draining. El Dorado City of Gold is a good example of this.

Price-wise I'm a bit flexible but I really don't want to spend over 5k, especially on my first table. I feel like it would probably be better to start with something on the cheaper side and see how things go from there. So, what do you guys think? I'd love to hear advice, opinions, suggestions on other tables I might like, etc. Thanks.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

If you have 5k to spend on pinball, I would suggest getting two cheaper pins to start with.
    Something like a Sys11 and a cheaper DMD.
    It's early and that's all the advice I have.
    Time for coffee -- welcome to the addiction.

That's what I'm debating. Jack*Bot and Stargate are a couple cheaper DMDs that I'm quite interested in. There are also a number of System 11's that interest me (Diner, F-14 Tomcat, High Speed, Space Station, Whirlwind, etc.).

Quoted from Meph:

If you can use a multimeter and have replaced capacitors then I really don't think there is much you won't be able to do on a pinball machine. You are pretty much in the same boat I was when I bought my first. I hadn't played any pins in 20 years and decide to jump in head first. I almost made a rookie mistake buying a project machine as my first but I held out and eventually found my STTNG. While I have heard the horror stories about maintenance issues with STTNG, I haven't really seen them myself. Like zrbrt says, there are lots of System 11 and cheaper DMD machine that can be had. It really all depends on the style you like.
    There are plenty of collectors in your area. Try and make friends with some and maybe get someone knowledgeable to help you look at potential machines for issues. If you decide to go with your grail, mine is listed in the marketplace. =) Either way, good luck with your search, it gets addicting.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-fsft-star-trek-the-next-generation-1

Yes, I'm aware of your ST:TNG. It does look nice but you're a bit far from me. Right now there's actually one listed on Ebay for $4,200 that's fairly close to me. I'm surprised because most of the tables I see listed on Ebay seem way overpriced.

Quoted from jawjaw:

You really need to find actual pins to play. Virtual is nothing like the real thing. Often the real thing is better but sometimes it's a let down. I would try to make it to an expo or some location that has a lot of pins and get some play time. There are plenty of great pins out there and everyone has a different top 10 list. If you are a big Star Trek fan, that would be a great place to start. I wouldn't waste your time getting a pin just because it is cheaper unless you just cannot afford anything else.

I agree. I did get a chance to play some real pins about a year ago, at the White Rose Gameroom show. Sadly, I wasn't able to go this year. I got to play a ST:TNG that was barely working but it was still fun. There was a Flight 2000 but it had weak flippers that couldn't get the ball more than half way up the playfield (making multi-ball impossible to start). That's another table I like but I think I'd get bored with it fairly quickly. I also played a Genie which was enjoyable. There was a very nice T2 which seemed to get little attention so I spent some time with it. I was fascinated by Spirit but that's apparently a very rare, expensive table. The biggest surprise to me was Victory. The virtual (TPA) version just looks kind of dull and ugly. The one at the show was absolutely gorgeous. It played well too. I also got to try some of those virtual pincabs. They're neat but I'd much rather spend the money on a real table. Anyway, I do have a little experience with real tables, just not a whole lot.

I wouldn't get a pin JUST because it's cheap (unless it was a REALLY good deal). I am however debating whether it makes more sense to get one expensive, great pin or a couple cheaper, good pins.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Find other pinsiders in your area willing to have you over to play their games. Also look for local leagues or social groups that get together and play. Also look for locations that have pinball machines near you. Play the hell out of them find out what you like. Once you know the type of game you like, you can narrow down your search. Since your budget is 5k, there is little that you cannot buy, so I would try and narrow down your tastes as much as possible. More than likely you'll find a game you love for way cheaper than 5k, then you can use the savings to get your next game. You are definitely going to get more.
    Welcome! My first game was a broken EM, then I worked my way up to more expensive more complicated games. I want to be able to fix almost anything, so I have been learning as I go.

I hadn't thought about other Pinsiders. I did check the Pin Map and there don't seem to be many public tables listed in my area. The problem is that I don't get out much and don't tend to be very sociable. (That's my flowery way of saying I'm very shy.) Still, thanks for the advice. Also, I'm quite open to the idea of starting with a cheap EM, to test the waters.

Quoted from rai:

I've been into pins for at least 12 years. I've had the older pins like TZ, IJ, CFTBL, TOTAN, etc.. But to me I just prefer the newer pins. Nothing wrong with the old pins, but I really find that the new pins are less maintainence and I prefer the more complex rules on the new pins.
    I just picked up a HOU TSPP and to be honest I think it's the best pin money can buy as far as rules, great call outs, great sound effects, number of shots and multiple levels With ramp on the upper PF.
    I think it'd be better to get two pins, but if you think you might expand its probably just as well to get one pin to test the water and add to your collection later.
    I have STLE and sold SM for around $5k both are great pins but to be honest I prefer TSPP at the moment. There is just so much to do on The Simpsons.
    Lots of good choices, if the limit is $5k that probably cuts out AcDc premium and may cut out Tron but (Tron or IM) may be right on that number. But as you say ST pro is a good choice and I think or POTC or maybe you can find XMLE (though it may be a bit over $5k).

My budget is flexible, I'm just wary of spending too much on my first table. I definitely like deep rulesets. I tend to find it a bit depressing when I realize that I've completely figured out and done everything on a particular table. TSPP is definitely on my radar. The problem with a lot of newer pins is they usually have themes that I'm not crazy about. The theme isn't a hugely important aspect but it would be nice if it was something I liked.

Quoted from rai:

I did have STTNG and while it was fun and great there were issues with the cannons on my game. I'm not great at working on my pins, so it was a pita to get someone over to tweak the older games.
    I probably sold STTNG too soon. In the old days I really didn't understand all the rules and strategy of pinball. I was more or less just keeping the ball in play and starting modes but in the past I was more superficial as a player. Now I understand how the game rules work. So maybe if I got back STTNG I would appreciate it more, but at the time I traded up to IJ and/or TZ and thought both of those wide body pins were superior. To me IJ and TZ (really TZ) is one of the pins that everyone should own at one time, to me STTNG was not on the same level but no doubt is a great pin.
    Lots of great pins especially if you can spend up to $5k

I have a love/hate relationship with Twilight Zone. I love the theme, look, and sound of the table but the gameplay leaves a bit to be desired. There's too much emphasis on hitting the left ramp, right ramp, then piano. Many of the other areas just seem to be too dangerous, especially the bumpers. This is a table where I'd have to spend a good while with a real one before I'd consider buying one.

Quoted from Daetok:

I know there is a significant cost, but, Tales of the Arabian Nights is a great machine

I agree. I really like Tales of the Arabian Nights but it seems to be a bit on the pricey side.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

Once I got mine dialed it, it's been solid. I put in a new rottendog driver board, laser cannons and a color DMD. If you buy just make sure there are no errors and look at the boards for any fried spots. Otherwise, it's not a whole lot more maintenance than other machines considering it has literally twice as much stuff...game would cost 8-10k if they remade it. Love the warp 9.9, Borg multiball, game rocks all the way around. Get the lane extenders--even with them those sides are brutal. Weighs 500 pounds which will help keep you fit as well

Is there any other easy ways to check for errors besides playing it and checking for the credit dot? I do have a good eye (and nose) for fried electronics, though I'm sometimes thrown off by components that naturally run hot (and sometimes discolor the surrounding PCB). I am actually worried a bit by the weight. I've heard it's a very heavy table. I have some health issues and try not to overexert myself, so I'm sure I'd need help moving one.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MWink.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-advice-on-buying-my-first-table?tu=MWink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.