Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by igo4rams
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tmntclassics_tmnt (resized).png
    IMG_5567 (resized).PNG
    moononite (resized).jpg
    g.png
    IMG_1784 (resized).PNG
    7f4d97f8ce34c814ba0e3169942f3a4b (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Wanting some advice on a game I bought sight unseen from a fellow Pinsider. I'm a novice when it comes to machines so I always look for machines from fellow Pinsiders and I have an amazing tech. I've bought about a dozen games sight unseen and have all went flawlessly until my most recent purchase. I should have been alerted when after we struck a deal, he asked for me to not say it was sold on here and I noticed he had placed it was sold elsewhere so I couldn't leave feedback. The game was delivered and set in storage for about 6 weeks until I could pick it up. When I final got it and hooked it up, the game wouldn't function. I thought maybe it was a cold solder connection since it was stored in a home that was 50 degrees so I wrote it off until someone went through the whole game and what was creating an issue was the lower flippers were missing their diodes which made it impossible to play. I reached back out to the fellow Pinsider a few times and he's finally responded back"the game was in players condition" even though during the whole transaction he stated it worked 100 percent but the playfield/ etc. was rough. Just looking for some advice and thanks

#2 7 years ago

This seller just sounds like an all around shady dude. How do people sell games like this and not expect any blowback?

#3 7 years ago

That's pretty f'd up in my book. That's not a 100% working. Sorry this happened to you. Always better to see games in person. Things can happen in transport, but diodes just don't fall off. You could shame the person publicly, but that always turns out messy. Cheap fix and learning experience people suck.

#4 7 years ago

My experience has been outstanding so far. I mean I could give a bunch of shout outs to outstanding sellers. I'm hoping he responds back on pm so it doesn't get messy.

#5 7 years ago

If it was a machine that he should of paid Robin for selling here on Pinside I would contact Robin because it isn't fair to Robin when someone doesn't pay their fair share. Not that it would help you resolve your problem with the seller but Robin might decide to block him from selling if he avoided paying fees and that way he might not be able screw someone else over in the future here on Pinside.

Buying machines you can't see & play always comes with some risk but it is sad to hear stories like yours! Good Luck!

#6 7 years ago

How would someone contact Robin or what's his user ID name? Also is there anyway to leave feedback since the individual didn't state it was sold on here?

#7 7 years ago

One way to leave feedback would be to say who sold it to you in this thread.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

One way to leave feedback would be to say who sold it to you in this thread.

Give us their name

#9 7 years ago

Expose the bastard! Pitch forks & tar and feathers on stand by.

#10 7 years ago

Let's get him.lol

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

....I thought maybe it was a cold solder connection since it was stored in a home that was 50 degrees....

Not sure if you were joking or not, but a "cold" solder joint has nothing to do with the ambient temperature.

#12 7 years ago

Yea , Spill it already ................
    The best way to Disinfect something is to drag it out into the light.....

#13 7 years ago

7f4d97f8ce34c814ba0e3169942f3a4b (resized).jpg7f4d97f8ce34c814ba0e3169942f3a4b (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

He ripped you off and he ripped off Robin by reporting it sold elsewhere (so he doesn't have to pay the sold fee). Name names. He has surrendered any right to anonymity.

#15 7 years ago

As you said, most Pinsiders are great to do business with. Rooting out sellers like this by name can help us stay that way.

#16 7 years ago

The last time I saw a thread like this it ended up with the seller's address getting posted and someone threatening to go to his house and vandalize his cars. That's the kind of mob mentality we don't need on here. I do agree with letting Robin know the guy's cheating him on his seller fees.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

As you said, most Pinside to are great to do business with. Rooting out sellers like this by name can help Pinside stay that way.

Exactly, the name needs to be provided, this way what you did, buying from a fellow pinsider, stays legit.

This is not someone that didn't deliver a game or ripped off lots of people, just a shady description. Nobody is going to anyone's house over that, so no mob mentality worries.

#18 7 years ago

No need to threaten violence. but letting others know about a bad seller is one of the primary benefits of having a community.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

This is not someone that didn't deliver a game or ripped off lots of people, just a shady description. Nobody is going to anyone's house over that, so no mob mentality worries.

That's exactly what happened in the other thread and it was shocking how quickly things got out of hand. Just don't like seeing things escalate to the point of threats of violence, that's all I'm going to say.

#20 7 years ago

You can leave a feedback on anybody at anytime. You don't need a linked ad to leave a feedback.

Go to their profile page, click on the feedback tab, scroll to the bottom and click the "write a recommendation" link. Then write whatever you need.

See example below, the pinsider used as an example is just happenstance, he was the first user in the latest discussion.

IMG_1784 (resized).PNGIMG_1784 (resized).PNG

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

He ripped you off and he ripped off Robin by reporting it sold elsewhere (so he doesn't have to pay the sold fee). Name names. He has surrendered any right to anonymity.

Exactly. He wanted it marked sold elsewhere so that he could avoid paying fees to the site. Super weak.

#22 7 years ago

Wait to see if he takes care of you. If not, Release The Kraken!!

#23 7 years ago

It's only been 8 days and it is spring break week but I've noticed he's been online everyday. I guess what really set me off was from my prior conversations with him that it was fully working and when I questioned him I got this response back "Being 100% honest that the game is in players condition, we both have learned not to buy/sell sight unseen. I suggest you try to sell it again and be done with it."

Then silence. I read hoping for him to knock off a few dollars and I could donate to Robin and move some of the money to the new owner.

Sorry for my ignorance on a cold solder joint "rookie here" I just assumed before investigation, that could have created the issue.

I'll wait until the end of the week and post feedback on the above recommendation in his profile

#24 7 years ago

After reading the OP's story, I had some thoughts. I am not defending the seller in the least. But before everyone brings the pitchforks, I think there were a few complicating issues on this sale.
    1) The buyer bought it sight unseen. That is very very risky unless you personally know the seller. I'm amazed he had so many GOOD deals!
    2) After purchasing, the game sat in storage for 6 weeks before the buyer picked it up, used it and determined it was not right. How long should a buyer guarantee a used game after sale? If you buy a used car and sit it in storage for 6 weeks and then tell the dealer the transmission doesn't shift right, what do you think he is going to say?
    3) Depending on the price of the game and the conditions under which it was sold, a couple of diodes on the flippers is pretty minor. I have had much worse on games that were supposedly in great shape!
    Again, not defending the guy. Don't even know who he is. Just saying there may or may not be two sides to this story. If the buyer had a soldering iron and a bit of technical knowledge, he could have fixed this in a minute for 50 cents. If he lacks the basic tools and knowledge, I would suggest he cultivate a relationship with a local dealer and only purchase games that are restored, guaranteed, and delivered.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Depending on the price of the game and the conditions under which it was sold, a couple of diodes on the flippers is pretty minor.

Not if it was presented as 100% working. Yes, I am sure a second side to this story will complete the tale, but regardless this sounds like a false representation transaction.

Quoted from sbmania:

The buyer bought it sight unseen. That is very very risky unless you personally know the seller. I'm amazed he had so many GOOD deals!

I am not so amazed. When you weed out all the dishonest idiots you tend to have more of these transactions.

#26 7 years ago

100% working+no flipper diodes=pitchforks!! regardless of sight unseen purchase, price, lube, etc....

#27 7 years ago

Definately there are two sides to every story, that's why I'm pleading to the seller to reach out to me via pm and explain his side because from his previous responses with me, things don't add up.

#28 7 years ago

Even if it was working 100%, bounce something mechanical that weighs 300lbs across the country and it may not work when you open it up.

I have shipped games myself that REALLY did work 100% and by the time they arrived, they had a fault of some sort (cracked solder joint, connector worked itself off....).

Pinball machines were made to be serviced on site, and most repairs take less than a hour.

What game is it?

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

If it was a machine that he should of paid Robin for selling here on Pinside I would contact Robin because it isn't fair to Robin when someone doesn't pay their fair share. Not that it would help you resolve your problem with the seller but Robin might decide to block him from selling if he avoided paying fees and that way he might not be able screw someone else over in the future here on Pinside.

You just described every single Stern & JJP dealer that puts up F/S ads in the marketplace. One dealer shows 281 archived ads with only 1 sale.

#30 7 years ago

It was an older solid state Bally game. The seller dropped it off at the storage location because the site was 6 hours from me and he was going by there so I appreciated his contact before the deal. When I picked up the game 6 weeks later and set it up, I was disappointed but didn't think much. I tried as much as I could do then someone smarter than I figured it out. Again it was diodes and the lower playfield flippers that had been completed removed so it would have never allowed the game to play 100 percent.

#31 7 years ago

What we know.
    13 games bought sight unseen.
    12 outta 13 ain't bad count blessings.
    Seller supposedly wants buyer to hide pinside transaction...shady.
    Pin was delivered put in storage 6 weeks
    Without testing.
    What we don't know...
    Sellers side of story.
    How was pin delivered and by whom and what was the method?
    When pin was delivered was it inspected by buyer before storage? If not why?
    Do we know for a fact that missing diodes on the flippers would cause a pin not to work at all?
    We don't know if the seller shipped a bad pin, if the pin got damaged in transit, if pin was damaged in storage or wether it's the fault of the seller,buyer,shipper or dishonest tech who might of wiggled some connectors got the game working and told you it was flipper diodes to justify his charges. Way more questions than answers.
    What I do know that if you go look at a pin in person you can test it play it and if you like it you can buy it. This way when you transport it home and it dosnt work you'll have nobody to blame but yourself.

#32 7 years ago

Unfortunately the game was 6 hours away from me in my wife's hometown that we weren't going to because of kids sports schedule for 6 weeks after we bought it. So it was bought fully site unseen and just dropped off. It went to my wife's parents house that know nothing about pinball. The person who fixed the game is 100 percent honest

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

Again it was diodes and the lower playfield flippers that had been completed removed so it would have never allowed the game to play 100 percent.

Wait, the game was missing flippers or just the diodes?

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

I guess what really set me off was from my prior conversations with him that it was fully working and when I questioned him I got this response back "Being 100% honest that the game is in players condition, we both have learned not to buy/sell sight unseen. I suggest you try to sell it again and be done with it"

So he suggested you do the same thing to someone else that he did to you, pass it off as a functioning game? Nice.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

Wanting some advice on a game I bought sight unseen from a fellow Pinsider. I'm a novice when it comes to machines so I always look for machines from fellow Pinsiders and I have an amazing tech. I've bought about a dozen games sight unseen and have all went flawlessly until my most recent purchase. I should have been alerted when after we struck a deal, he asked for me to not say it was sold on here and I noticed he had placed it was sold elsewhere so I couldn't leave feedback. The game was delivered and set in storage for about 6 weeks until I could pick it up. When I final got it and hooked it up, the game wouldn't function. I thought maybe it was a cold solder connection since it was stored in a home that was 50 degrees so I wrote it off until someone went through the whole game and what was creating an issue was the lower flippers were missing their diodes which made it impossible to play. I reached back out to the fellow Pinsider a few times and he's finally responded back"the game was in players condition" even though during the whole transaction he stated it worked 100 percent but the playfield/ etc. was rough. Just looking for some advice and thanks

Don't buy games unseen... strike 1
    Buying games second hand when you can't work on them is risky... strike 2
    Storing and moving setup and then expecting no troubles... strike 3

Really it doesn't matter how many times you got away with something without getting burned... you were playing with fire.

#36 7 years ago

Never buy sight unseen unless the seller has great pinside feedback.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

So he suggested you do the same thing to someone else that he did to you, pass it off as a functioning game? Nice.

That's what I read too -- pass on the "good favor". Guy doesn't apologize at all, avoids fees, and seemingly suggests screwing over another pinsider. Great.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

I got this response back "Being 100% honest that the game is in players condition, we both have learned not to buy/sell sight unseen. I suggest you try to sell it again and be done with it."

One thing to point out though is its an older game in player condition. So you should have already figured there were many things probably wrong with the game. Player condition and 100% working should never be used in the same sentence. Not saying you did wrong but saying anyone buying a game like this should already have the mind set that it's going to need some work.

#39 7 years ago

The reason I haven't mentioned the exact game is there's only been 1 or 2 that have been listed recently and I was really hoping to resolve this through pm.

I put up the sellers exact response so I'm going he was just encouraging to move it along for a loss which I've already done. I don't think he was inferring to not disclose. I could be wrong though.

#40 7 years ago

At least the diodes are 1 cent parts.

Can you imagine if all the boards were missing?

Never, ever, buy a pinball machine sight unseen, no matter what the seller's reputation.

Even if I am selling a pin, don't buy it without coming to see it.

I'm serious.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

At least the diodes are 1 cent parts.
    Can you imagine if all the boards were missing?
    Never, ever, buy a pinball machine sight unseen, no matter what the seller's reputation.
    Even if I am selling a pin, don't buy it without coming to see it.
    I'm serious.

Awesome. Can you buy a machine from me, please? Because I'd love to meet you.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Awesome. Can you buy a machine from me, please? Because I'd love to meet you.

The last time I met someone from Pinside, they said my skin was like a turtle, lol

#43 7 years ago

I want Vid to come rough up my son, thinking he was a home invader...

#44 7 years ago

Sounds like the seller wasn't skilled either and isn't very honest but never gamble money you can't afford to lose.

#45 7 years ago

Luckily it wasn't all that much of a loss. I guess it could have been worse! It just irks me more than the money and especially since he's ignoring the issue

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

After purchasing, the game sat in storage for 6 weeks before the buyer picked it up, used it and determined it was not right. How long should a buyer guarantee a used game after sale?

ahhhh, I see...the old "dissolving diodes in storage" hack. Old as the hills it is...yarrr

#47 7 years ago

Although I am not defending him, the whole "not paying the fees" thing is more of an epidemic than just this one guy being an asshole. If you just look at the market forum, compare how many games are archived one hour after "PM sent" and you will see exactly what I mean. I mean come on, even ads that are only up for a day or two get archived as "sold elsewhere" all the time. I think I've bought more games from sellers that did that than actually paid the fees. It's just one of those things that most people do rather than just this guy. Sucks, yes, but uncommon, no.

#48 7 years ago

Not defending the seller. I have seen games work fine with no flipper diodes. It may lock up right away or not for 10 games. If the game was sitting and doesn't power up it could be a loose connection/ ribbon etc. Missing flipper diodes wont cause a power up issue. What game is it?

#49 7 years ago

Is the pin rollergames? If the guy is ignoring you and has been on pinside you have every right to put his name out there. Honestly, I would do it as a warning to others since you weren't able to leave feedback.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

13 games bought sight unseen.
    12 outta 13 ain't bad count blessings.

Not defending the seller one bit, but that was my immediate thought. You have how many pins but call yourself a rookie/novice and you're out here holding your wallet open? I'm sorry man but somebody is gonna reach in there if you hold it open long enough.

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-advice-on-a-game-i-bought-from-a-fellow-pinsider/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.