• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PorkChopExpress
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hey all,

The pinball bug just recently bit me and now I am eager to fill all of the real estate I have available, which in this case means 3 machines. My first machine is an EM, Big Deal, that a friend put together for me on the cheap. I have a Whirlwind on the way and one spot left open.

Now, I am sure I will rotate machines out in the future, but for now, the Big Deal and Whirlwind are locked in, especially since the Whirlwind isn't even here yet! I was thinking about a more modern machine to fill the 3rd slot and round out the gameplay. A few games that came to mind were Game of Thrones (I had a chance to sink in a few rounds of quarters on this one and liked it, but not sure if it's just shiny object syndrome), Lord of the Rings, Iron Man, Spider Man, ACDC, X-Men. As you can see, I tend to gravitate towards medieval or super hero themes, I guess based on my past. ACDC I have heard good things about and it's a bonus that I listened to them growing up. Unfortunately I would have to save my pennies for the premium edition as I am not sure I could look at Angus' huge mug on the pro version!

That said, before spending the cash to fill that "oh so coveted" 3rd spot, I wanted to lean a little on those with more experience as to what you guys think would be a good choice. A few things to note. I am very much an Amateur so I am looking for a variety of gameplay across my machines to help build my skill set. I am not sure if a deeper ruleset with something like Lord of the Rings makes sense vs. faster and shorter gameplay like Iron man. Also, my budget is in the 3-6k range, but could be or may even need to be adjusted up or down slightly depending on when I make the move and how bad the holidays drain the bank account!

Thanks for the thoughts.

#2 4 years ago

Save for an ACDC. Crazy deep rule set, but you can learn the basics and enjoy it for awhile that way, then develop strategies later on. Also, lots of great videos now to help explain everything.
My fav pin.

#3 4 years ago

Try to find an arcade or something where you can play a lot of machines. Everyone has their own opinion on what a good machine is and what they like. I've found some nice museums or arcades and played most of what's in the top 100, i'd agree with a lot of it, but not all of it.

By all means you don't need to spend anywhere near that to have one hell of a machine, there are some very good machines in the 2-3k mark. Yes some of the new machines are good, but not worth the money in my personal opinion when there are some awesome machines for less money that are older.

Find something you like, play it for awhile, then trade it to get something else. I think that's what most people do.

#5 4 years ago

IM- total adrenaline rush!

#6 4 years ago

What do you prefer? Fast and brutal or longer ball times, simpler or deep ruleset, great flow or some stop&go, etc? I think LOTR might work well for you, unless you want something punishing like AC/DC

#7 4 years ago

My advice is to buy the 3rd machine.
No matter what pin you decide, buying a 3rd pin is the correct answer.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside