Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4175 (resized).JPG
20200130_150255[1] (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

Kinda wondering why you guys are so on the fence over your pinsound purchase, In every thread I have read it is all the rage hands down...In reality it is a new board as compared to a 30 something, has the ability to change/modify the tracks, and has stereo capabilities...Am I missing something as compared to OEM?

Because it doesn't, and it is incapable of, faithfully reproducing original game sounds. For me, that's a simple no brianer, and changes the 'Pinsound' from an "upgrade" to a "mod".

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Pinsound was a life saver for me back when I was working on my LOTR machine. At that time, the whitestar MPU/Sound board was not available. A pinsound board was my only option, and it worked out great for me.
To add to this thread, I too had a hard time finding a replacement pre-DCS sound board for my TZ. I think this is one board that is overdue to be re-made. There are a few on Ebay right now, and the asking price seems to be right around $200.

I have been working with someone in Germany to recreate the board. It's been slow going, but it IS coming along.

The DOWN side is that it will still require the NLA chips - the Yamaha and Volumne control at least. The PLUS side is that, it'll sound authentic, because it will be.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I'm fortunate that I have yet to purchase a machine with a Pinsound because the first thing I would do is remove it and replace it with an original. I prefer the original experience. I think it's great and support that there is a replacement for those whose boards need replacing or want an "upgrade" (modification). It's just not for me.
The original boards are relatively hard to come by and often when they show up are more expensive than I would like. So I have embarked on making my own. It's still a work in-progress. The WPC-89 sound board mostly works. I have a small issue to work through. The WPC-DCS board looks to have an issue in the analog section. I have a thread for these if you want more information.
I will say that after having done some of this board reproduction work for just about a year ... I now appreciate why the reproduction boards cost what they do. Component parts are expensive or sometimes difficult to find and labor isn't cheap. If you want to keep your "antique" toy working it's going to cost - both time and money.[quoted image]

I REALLY hope you did your proper research on resistor values, as there were two different versions of this board.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

True...but it's only 2 resistors IIRC.

Quoted from DumbAss:

I believe that you're correct in that there are two versions of the board (with different resistor values). There are also (at least) two revisions of the board. An earlier revision has a ceramic capacitor correction that is not silk-screened on the board.

Correct. Those two resistors modify the pre-mix volume of two of the three audio channels. Game's ROM and Sound ROMs are expecting these values - for example, if you put a pre-DCS sound board from Hurricane or Terminator 2 into Twilight Zone, you're gonna have some VERY tinny sounds.

So as long as you know about this, then great. The person I'm working with in Germany just added two dip switches. There were only two resistor values used, and they always matched - 56k and 150k. (WPC schematics had it at 120k.)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-a-working-wpc-sound-board-?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.