Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by nikpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo.JPG
family-feud-x2[1].png

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

So not only has the whole LIONMAN craze been making me start looking for one, but my wife has also jumped on the bandwagon and really wants me to get one; so much so that my pin buying is on hold until I find one. I guess I should consider myself lucky that my wife likes pinball, but please someone sell me their SoF so I can grab up some other titles that I want after that! Preferably within 150 miles of zip 10598. Thanks.

#3 5 years ago

They don't come up for sale very often. I would grab one in an instant, but I have never seen one for sale locally.

#4 5 years ago

I've been looking for one locally for a year. What is the lionman craze?

#5 5 years ago

Lol. This does not look like it is boding well for my search.........

#6 5 years ago

Me neither. I offered up my Centaur II for a straight trade and crickets...

#7 5 years ago

You never know bump....

#8 5 years ago

Still looking and not giving up!! Sell me your SoF please.

#9 5 years ago

I dont realy want to sell mine but i might consider an offer of $10k lol

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

I dont realy want to sell mine but i might consider an offer of $10k lol

Highest I could possibly go is 9.5K.

#12 5 years ago

And to think that I scored mine for $750 (the same week I got my first pin, an F-14). I went to see the dude's Earthshaker that he had for sale, but was disappointed at its condition. He had a SOF too, and being a complete noob, I had to pull it up on pinside on my Blackberry

Anyway, I saw it was in the top 100, figured it couldn't be too bad as a second pin, and took it home, since I had driven out that far and didn't want to return empty handed. I have loved it ever since. Mesmerizing music

#13 5 years ago

I know. I had plenty of chances at one, but others I wanted more (Funhouse, Whirlwind, Centaur) came up first. Figures when I finally get around to it, it becomes "sought after".

#14 5 years ago

You need to be patient one will come around or the right price one day took me over 2 years to get mine and i bought it as a pair with F14 as well at the time but becouse of the wait and difficulty in getting one and price mine wont be for sale any time soon.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

becouse of the wait and difficulty in getting one and price mine wont be for sale any time soon.

I can relate. I feel the same way about my Whirlwind.

#16 5 years ago

I won't be selling mine any time soon either, but if someone threw some real "F U" money at me, I'd help them break it down and load it up!

#17 5 years ago

Woot! Got a possible lead on one. Hopefully it pans out. Who knows though, non-pinsider through craigslist ad I posted, so I'm guessing my chances are 1/20 as usual. Still better than nothing.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

if someone threw some real "F U" money at me, I'd help them break it down and load it up!

So $500 then?....Oh wait, that's F me money. Sorry. Psh.......

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Woot! Got a possible lead on one. Hopefully it pans out. Who knows though, non-pinsider through craigslist ad I posted, so I'm guessing my chances are 1/20 as usual. Still better than nothing.

Good luck! SOF is awesome, these machines belong in pinsider hands!

#20 5 years ago

I have a nice one with the full LED/Sling light mod. Would need to be a hefty offer to let it go.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I have a nice one with the full LED/Sling light mod. Would need to be a hefty offer to let it go.

And miss out on that new ramp I'm going to make for you? Received the model ramp in the mail today. It's up next after the Genesis ramps.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

And miss out on that new ramp I'm going to make for you? Received the model ramp in the mail today. It's up next after the Genesis ramps.

Wooooo!

#23 5 years ago

I have one in Utah I could sell, but It's not a bargain at $2,500...That's what I paid for it a couple years ago.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

uh...yeah.

Nevermind. It ain't going nowhere.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from brundaged:

I have one in Utah I could sell, but It's not a bargain at $2,500...That's what I paid for it a couple years ago.

Wow, I would love one, but you are right about $2500 being top end. I was thinking closer to $1500. Of course I am always tempted for trades… Utah is a desert right now, hahahahah.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Wow, I would love one, but you are right about $2500 being top end. I was thinking closer to $1500. Of course I am always tempted for trades… Utah is a desert right now, hahahahah.

I understand. Not looking for any trades and I'm in no hurry to sell. I'm down $500 even at $2,500 since I had to ship it in--maybe someday I'll be more desperate to get rid of it.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I think I saw your want ad; I was thinking that was you. Congrats if it goes through.

I was actually offered one from California, but I really don't want to ship anything. Too much money and too nervous about it being not as described and/or damaged in transit. I will just patiently wait. For now, I'm working on cleaning up the half of my basement that will be the dedicated arcade/gameroom. That will keep me busy for a while.

#28 5 years ago

Bah... Fell through. Guy changed his mind. Surprise surprise. I guess he looked around and is sitting on it now. I think I'm done with the SoF search. I'll wait a few years.

Anyone got a Bad Cats they wanna sell? Still looking for one of those.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Bah... Fell through. Guy changed his mind. Surprise surprise. I guess he looked around and is sitting on it now. I think I'm done with the SoF search. I'll wait a few years.

Frustrated too, and I have come to the same conclusion about SoF. I have been looking for a while but few come up for sale. There is one response I get recently of a guy with a rough one who wants $2,000 after some unknown amount of "paint work".

Is it really a better game than BK2K or Whirlwind?

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

With CPR almost done with the Bad Cats repro's, those are probably going to go up in price/desirability as well. If you can find one, jump on it.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

Frustrated too, and I have come to the same conclusion about SoF. I have been looking for a while but few come up for sale. There is one response I get recently of a guy with a rough one who wants $2,000 after some unknown amount of "paint work".
Is it really a better game than BK2K or Whirlwind?

A common theme you will see is that people looked for years to find one. It's really just luck as to whether or not you'll find someone who not only has one, but is willing to sell. It's pretty rare to find one that isn't in rough shape. They were pretty much all routed, a ton were sent overseas, some were rethemed, etc. I would say it's on par with BK2K (though, you'll like the music in one or the other better), but it's better than Whirlwind in my opinion.

#32 5 years ago

Someone emailed me off of CL today about a Bad Cats in player's condition, so we'll see.

#33 5 years ago

SoF is the epitome of Sys11. Music, gameplay, flow, mini playfield, cheesy 80s soundfx, fantasy theme, its pretty legendary man. The only knock is the scoring system and it can be rolled easily. If you werent playing for score and just session play or "fun", its the game. That said, if a BK2K showed up for sale in my area for a good price or trade, I'd spring! SoF @ $2k is still better pinball money that anything NIB @ $5k+

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

....but it's better than Whirlwind in my opinion.

I actually feel the opposite. In my opinion Whirlwind is better and ultimately would last longer in a small collection for 2 specific reasons:
1) Whirlwind forces you to shoot all around the playfield in order to light locks, whereas SoF's locks are always lit. Whirlwind makes the player hit 2 or 3 different shots around the playfield to light each lock and that requirement keeps the game interesting and somewhat physically chaotic.
2) The game's multiball scoring is much better. SoF's jackpot ladder kinda sucks... once you get the listed jackpot value (1.5m+ usually) you're stuck at 500k for the rest of that game. If I get the jackpot on ball one, then I really have little motivation to do multiball again. If there's some setting to change this then please enlighten me!

Now that said, I do think the music, theme, and layout in SoF is much better then Whirlwinds'.
I also don't plan on selling my SoF for a long time. I really enjoy the game's overall atmosphere

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

I actually feel the opposite. In my opinion Whirlwind is better and ultimately would last longer in a small collection for 2 specific reasons:
1) Whirlwind forces you to shoot all around the playfield in order to light locks, whereas SoF's locks are always lit. Whirlwind makes the player hit 2 or 3 different shots around the playfield to light each lock and that requirement keeps the game interesting and somewhat physically chaotic.
2) The game's multiball scoring is much better. SoF's jackpot ladder kinda sucks... once you get the listed jackpot value (1.5m+ usually) you're stuck at 500k for the rest of that game. If I get the jackpot on ball one, then I really have little motivation to do multiball again. If there's some setting to change this then please enlighten me!
Now that said, I do think the music, theme, and layout in SoF is much better then Whirlwinds'.
I also don't plan on selling my SoF for a long time. I really enjoy the game's overall atmosphere

I actually do agree 100% with you on the multiball scoring and the locks (the lack of lock shots in SOF has always kind of bugged me, but it's not a dealbreaker by any means). But, for me anyways, the theme and music almost outweighs gameplay issues on a title like this. The gameplay is fairly limited in the first place with not a great deal of things to do/shots to make. The ruleset initially seems a bit confusing the very first time you play it, but it's probably one of the simplest rulesets I have played on a SS machine. You would think that would make it boring, but again, the theme, music, callouts, etc. all just keep it really fun for me. There's just something about it!

#36 5 years ago

I love my SoF. My only complaint is that the sword swinging sound is tied to the flippers. My guess it's coming from the lane change switch. If I could remove that from every flip I make, that would be awesome.

But that is a very minor complaint.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

I love my SoF. My only complaint is that the sword swinging sound is tied to the flippers. My guess it's coming from the lane change switch. If I could remove that from every flip I make, that would be awesome.
But that is a very minor complaint.

EPROM hack. Very easy to blank it out. If you want, I can do this and burn an EPROM for you. Technically, as long as the sample length is the same, I could change out all/any of the sounds for you.

#38 5 years ago

Crap... Nevermind. These use that proprietary ADPCM format. I tried RAW importing these into wavelab and it didn't work. I could still blank it out, but I'd have to know where that sample is on the ROM. Hard to calculate when you can't hear it and find out where it starts/ends. Maybe someone else here knows how to do this. There are pads of blank space, but this format does that apparently all over so it is hard to tell just looking at it in the hex editor. I think I can see where two samples are separated by FF on U21 though, so my guess would be it is on that ROM.

#39 5 years ago

Soooooooo I'm guessing no one has one out there yet they're willing to part with? Man. I might have to cancel the search now too. So far the only machines I'm really left looking for are Swords of Fury, TX Sector, and Fathom. Once I have those, I can "rest easy". That, and a Paperboy. I think that's all I can fit in my arcade anyway.

#40 5 years ago

Don't forget 720

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Crap... Nevermind. These use that proprietary ADPCM format. I tried RAW importing these into wavelab and it didn't work. I could still blank it out, but I'd have to know where that sample is on the ROM. Hard to calculate when you can't hear it and find out where it starts/ends. Maybe someone else here knows how to do this. There are pads of blank space, but this format does that apparently all over so it is hard to tell just looking at it in the hex editor. I think I can see where two samples are separated by FF on U21 though, so my guess would be it is on that ROM.

Yeah I thought of trying to hack the ROM, too. Maybe someone will figure it out someday.

#42 5 years ago

Ugh, really sucks this game is getting so hyped. I've been looking for one since before the hype, have a feeling the price will be much higher when I find one now haha

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

Ugh, really sucks this game is getting so hyped. I've been looking for one since before the hype, have a feeling the price will be much higher when I find one now haha

I've moved on, hahaha. There are other games out there I'd rather have for what people want for these now. Fishtales comes before this one for me, as does Bad Cats.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

SoF is the epitome of Sys11. Music, gameplay, flow, mini playfield, cheesy 80s soundfx, fantasy theme, its pretty legendary man. The only knock is the scoring system and it can be rolled easily. If you werent playing for score and just session play or "fun", its the game. That said, if a BK2K showed up for sale in my area for a good price or trade, I'd spring! SoF @ $2k is still better pinball money that anything NIB @ $5k+

You can't roll mine. I never have after I "fixed" it up. I bought mine in 2007 when no one wanted one. I don't think I would ever sell it. It's a very popular game that everyone plays when they are over and it's a great game.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

Hold on a second here. How come its over-hyped? How about Funhouse at $4,000 - its a sys11 game, are you really getting $4,000 worth of Pinball out of Rudy's crossed eyed face? It is also a single level/platformed game. What about BK2K and WW, both super overpriced and dare I say "HYPED" for sys11 titles, especially WW. You still get more bang for your buck even with 2014 priced SoF. People are finally realizing that SoF was an under-estimated/under-valued rare game, opposite of being over hyped bro. The lack of popularity(or demand for the lack of a better term) for it at release and the number of them sent over to the EU limited their exposure. Case in point: people get their hands on them and rarely wanna sell for less than $2,000.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

How about Funhouse at $4,000 - its a sys11 game

family-feud-x2[1].png
#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

Hold on a second here. How come its over-hyped? How about Funhouse at $4,000 - its a sys11 game, are you really getting $4,000 worth of Pinball out of Rudy's crossed eyed face? It is also a single level/platformed game. What about BK2K and WW, both super overpriced and dare I say "HYPED" for sys11 titles, especially WW. You still get more bang for your buck even with 2014 priced SoF. People are finally realizing that SoF was an under-estimated/under-valued rare game, opposite of being over hyped bro. The lack of popularity(or demand for the lack of a better term) for it at release and the number of them sent over to the EU limited their exposure. Case in point: people get their hands on them and rarely wanna sell for less than $2,000.

Technically FH is WPC but I agree it's hyped to, a large part of why I don't own one. I would for $2k, but not $3500-4k for a nice one. I already own a keeper WW, so that doesn't effect me really, and BK2K never did a ton for me. I just wish I could have locked a SoF at $1200 like it could have been had for even just a year ago. I'm glad it's getting good dues though, it is a great game. I'll find one one day, and hopefully for still under $2k...I can be patient

#48 5 years ago

I think at this point I'd actually pay a little over 2K for one but I don't think I'm finding one for that either.

#49 5 years ago

Geez, where was everyone when I sold mine for $900? It looks MONTHS to sell and it was shopped, mylared, and fully working.

I like Swords of Fury a lot, but even as a huge system 11 fan, I have to admit - it's not a "great" game. The art and music are really the only thing going for it. The layout is unique, but the rules are limited to pretty much the multiball lock shot.

If I were to ever buy another, it would be hard to convince me to pay even the $900 I got for mine when I sold it.

#50 5 years ago

I like the game (obviously) but the fact that my wife and I played it a bunch while we were dating (my uncle had one in the bar he owned) makes it that much more special. Plus it's the first game aside from Championship Sprint that she was excited to get.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside