020.jpg
010.jpg
009.jpg
016.jpg
007.jpg
001.jpg
20150902_144648.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Does anyone have any spare parts for an old stern Dracula?

#2 8 years ago

I have a project that's in the middle of a restoration that I quit a few years ago and am getting back to.. The original bg in mine is junk, probably 50% paint loss. I found a better one on Ebay that has pinholes, but it's usable. I had to buy a 2nd set of plastics to get a complete set. There used to be a seller on Ebay that would sell a 'repro' of it that appeared to be a translite print of some sort.

#3 8 years ago

I have one of those translites, it's a nice alternative.

I had found a mint Dracula BG on ebay 2 years ago, bought it and it arrived in a million pieces because the seller did not know how to pack it properly. Such a shame too, most of these are in real poor condition.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I have one of those translites, it's a nice alternative.
I had found a mint Dracula BG on ebay 2 years ago, bought it and it arrived in a million pieces because the seller did not know how to pack it properly. Such a shame too, most of these are in real poor condition.

Real shame as they're very uncommon.

I restenciled the cabinet, but am going to redo it because I used latex paint and am unhappy with it how it turned out. I just recently, during a Sherwin Williams sale event, got a quart of oil based All Surface Enamel matched to the pink/purple base. I'm going to sand it down, re-primer, and redo the cabinet and backbox.

As far as my playfield goes, I have completed 95% of the touch ups. Mine had some flaking off of the paint at the top at the snake head. There was wear down to the wood around the bats/inserts. Using the info I've seen on here and Vid's guide, I plan to clear over what I've done, then finish the touch ups, clear, and build up the playfield.

What I'm unsure about is.. I don't have an MPU.

I like the idea of converting a Bally -35 or building up a bare board -35, but how hard is it to convert -35 to Stern 100?

#5 8 years ago

Why not an Altek mPU?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Why not an Altek mPU?

That would be the simplest, should have mentioned that I could do that.

I like the idea of building up a bare PCB, but I have mostly been in the video game side of the arcade hobby, where there's apparently more interest in repros of bare PCBs, like the WG6100 color XY stuff, etc. I was just wondering if I went the Bally -35 route, how hard it would be to convert it. Probably not worth the hassle and like you said, use an Altek MPU. Thanks.

#7 8 years ago

I like my altek! I have the mpu and the lighting board for LEDs.

#8 8 years ago

Do you have any contact info for a translite?

#10 8 years ago

I have a Stern Dracula in storage. The backglass is probably not 100% but I am willing to scan it for you. Can you scan your plastics for my future restore ?

#11 8 years ago

If needed, and not soon, but eventually, I could scan my plastics set if someone needs scans for reproductions. I know there are 1 or 2 that are often missing or broken.

#12 8 years ago

That translite is for the Williams Dracula game!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

If needed, and not soon, but eventually, I could scan my plastics set if someone needs scans for reproductions. I know there are 1 or 2 that are often missing or broken.

That would be awesome !!! Two are broken and one is missing.
I don't need them in a hurry, because other projects need to be finished first. Eventually suits me fine.

#14 8 years ago

The ebay seller that used to have the repro stern Dracula translites was classicarcades, you could contact him about it, I think he has an external website too.

#16 8 years ago

Can anyone with a Dracula take a close up/high res/straight on/not at angle photos of the area at the top machine covering the Yellow/Red/Orange/Pink, including the bats and the cats, areas in front of the drops? I need to touch this area up as some was worn to the wood. I'm thinking of attempting to silk screen the black cats/bats/text back on or do waterslide decals, but need high res to go off of.

Thanks..

#17 8 years ago

Thank you for all the info. I was just informed by a printer that I need all of the color layer prints to do a repro of this. And this has a mirror back to boot. It's going to be rough

#18 8 years ago

Have you considerd going with bgresto? I see he has a lot of the early SS Sterns, but not Dracula. If your original glass is decent, perhaps you could ship it to him to reproduce.

#19 8 years ago

@Joey_N ... my playfield has some wear in that area too, but since it is in storage for the moment I'm not sure how much. If needed I can take a picture, but not quite sure if it would help. Drop me a message if you would like me to do this.

#20 8 years ago

There recently was a great condition Stern Dracula backglass (not translite) available at one of the regular parts suppliers, but I cannot remember where. I think it was pulled out of machine. It was not MoP.

There is one on Ebay right now, which is RESTORABLE:
ebay.com link: Stern Dracula pinball back glass

Art Files you may be able to get here:
http://www.theretrocade.com/flying_dutchman/home.asp
[email protected]

#21 8 years ago

I saw that one on Ebay. It's definitely fix-able and nicer than most probably, but there's some paint loss and what looks like bad lifting at the bottom. I'd be afraid that come loose in shipping.

#22 8 years ago

Mine has a really nice back glass I could have scanned in the next couple weeks. I already have a full playfield scan if anyone needs it pm me. I had a friend create a stencil for the cats and bats and I airbrushed them back on it came out really good. 20150929_212439.jpg20150929_212439.jpg

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

Mine has a really nice back glass I could have scanned in the next couple weeks. I already have a full playfield scan if anyone needs it pm me. I had a friend create a stencil for the cats and bats and I airbrushed them back on it came out really good. 20150929_212439.jpg

Wow...you are a saint. This is exactly what I need.

So, I did 99% of the touchups on this a couple of years ago and never finished the project or clearcoated it. After reading vid's guide, I want to mask and respray the 'white' areas a true white instead of the off white I did. Also, I want to redo the area around the cats and bats that was worn to wood, using an airbrush to respray the solid areas. I touched up the bats and cats with a fine brush and I'm just not happy with how it turned out. I want to mask and respray the yellow/orange/red/pink, then either decal, stencil, or screen the text, bats, and cats over it.

PM coming your way.

#24 8 years ago

That's exactly what I did. I used automotive paint and can give you the codes if you want. This is what I started with. 20150902_144648.jpg20150902_144648.jpg

#25 8 years ago

That is a beautiful board ssbodyman! Nice job. And I just ordered a translite from classic arcades he still has them. What is the best method of making that look good? Clear glass in front of it? Any ideas on a pleasant appearance?

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

That is a beautiful board ssbodyman! Nice job. And I just ordered a translite from classic arcades he still has them. What is the best method of making that look good? Clear glass in front of it? Any ideas on a pleasant appearance?

2 pieces of 1/16" tempered glass and sandwich the translite between them

#27 8 years ago

Thank you!

1 week later
#28 8 years ago

Too bad I can't get 1/16 tempered glass! The thinnest I can get is 1/8 tempered. I'm stuck getting lexan that will yellow over time.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Too bad I can't get 1/16 tempered glass! The thinnest I can get is 1/8 tempered. I'm stuck getting lexan that will yellow over time.

So get the thin glass and use a thin piece of lexan in the back. You'll only see the glass once it's installed.

#30 8 years ago

I'm still searching for Classic Stern Pinball backglass to manufacture. But i'm no art guy! Anyone with 300 dpi color, white, & blocking files ready for print let me know. You will be compensated if it looks good for production. Guys just did Lightning glass, & Iron Maiden glass recently. Along with Seawitch, Star Gazer, Nine Ball, & Catacomb that have been selling for last few years. 2 hits color, 2 hits white, & single hit gray. I'm also interested in doing mirror glass next year. Dragonfist, & Meteor art i'm still waiting on possibly for future production. www.greatpinball.com

001.jpg001.jpg

007.jpg007.jpg

016.jpg016.jpg

009.jpg009.jpg

010.jpg010.jpg

020.jpg020.jpg

021.jpg021.jpg

026.jpg026.jpg

#31 8 years ago

John, how would you handle the mirroring? Dracula has it I know. Some kind of adhesive film?

#32 8 years ago

I would screen the mirroring first, & direct print the rest later. I have had 2 large screens for years waiting to be used. So mirror would be another file.

002.jpg002.jpg
001.jpg001.jpg

002.jpg002.jpg

003.jpg003.jpg

006.jpg006.jpg

009.jpg009.jpg

001.jpg001.jpg

#33 8 years ago

Lexan is only available in between 1/16 and 1/8 so glass is no longer an option if I want it to fit in the channel unfortunately. Lexan only total disappointment.

#34 8 years ago

Well you don't *have* to sandwich it between to pieces you know. Just put it behind a piece of glass, and tape it to the edges, like Stern does with their factory translites. Should be totally fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 199.95
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.00
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 10.00
$ 10.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 45.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-a-stern-dracula-backglass-and-or-art-files-to-create-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.