Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Chambo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

hi everybody,
    21 years ago i was with my backpack for some months in australia and enjoyed life. i met many nice people and had a really good time. i travelled from sidney up to cooktown at the east coast. i was at some hotspots (byron bay, nimbin, frazer island, whitsunday Islands, etc.). after the east coast i went to darwin and made my way to the ayers rock and alice springs.then my way took me to the west coast (perth, margret river, wave rock, pinnacles, etc.).

i always stayed at hostels and had really fun time with people from allover the world.
    now i come to the point in a big hostel in brisbane (i think the name was palace) i stayed for some nights. in the underground floor there was a club where people every night went to dancing and drinking. and the disc jockey played one song i liked very much. a lot of people knew that song because they sang the song along. i never heard it before. i am looking for the song. all i can tell you is that it was something like a punk song and it was about school or going to school. and it was a fast song. sorry nothing more. do you have any ideas which song this could be?

it would be so cool if you could help me!
    best regards ralf

#2 4 years ago

The obvious answer would be School’s Out by Alice Cooper but that is older and not exactly punk. I’ll think about it, try and find you some newer songs.

#3 4 years ago

Ramones - Rock 'n Roll High School

Pink Floyd - Another brick in the Wall Part 2

Mötley Crüe - Smokin In the Boys Room

Van Halen - Hot For Teacher

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard (Punk version of a Paul Simon classic)

Police - Don't Stand So Close to Me

J Geils Band - Centerfold

#4 4 years ago

was the song current to that time 21 years ago, so released in late 1990's?

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

The obvious answer would be School’s Out by Alice Cooper but that is older and not exactly punk. I’ll thin about it, try and find you some newer songs.

no that is not the song. this song i knew.
    thanks for your effort

#6 4 years ago

sorry not the right songs. the style of the ramones goes in the right direction.

#7 4 years ago

Jr High Love? Came out 21 years ago.

Watch "Desert Sessions - Jr High Love" on YouTube

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

was the song current to that time 21 years ago, so released in late 1990's?

i would think it was an older song because i only heard it in the club. not on the radio.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstym:

Jr High Love? Came out 21 years ago.
    Watch "Desert Sessions - Jr High Love" on YouTube

not that song - but the style is similar

#10 4 years ago

Take a look at the Australia charts. If everyone was singing along, it should have been in the carts. http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-charts-end-of-year-charts-top-100-singles-1998.htm

This may help you to narrow it down:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_about_school

#11 4 years ago

thank you - a lot to do. i will report back when i checked it!

#12 4 years ago

Ok, this is my area - if there’s a song released in Australia that I don’t know about, it was never recorded in the first place

So let’s start with basics - was it an Australian song?

Australia has had plenty of punk bands, and some very good ones, but few had songs that would lead to regular singalongs. Most likely would be couple from The Saints

I reckon you are thinking about a pub rock band, and there are a huge number of songs from that era and before that could potentially fit the bill. The school reference confuses me slightly though...

#13 4 years ago

hmm, you've got me thinking now. Could be an Angels song, Cold Chisel, Acca Dacca, Oils or Rose Tattoo maybe.
    They're good Aussie bands that people sing along to.
    The unofficial Aussie chorus of "Am I ever gonna see your face again" certainly comes to mind...lol

#14 4 years ago

Social Distortion - Story of my Life?

Something like a punk song, upbeat/fast, lyrics about school, and you can dance and sing to it.

Just a guess.

Came out early '90's, but I see Social D didn't tour Down Under until 2010... 2011. (Whoops, edited to fix the year. It was 2011. I mention that because it makes me wonder how much, if any, airplay they got in Australia early.)

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hyperball91:

hmm, you've got me thinking now. Could be an Angels song, Cold Chisel, Acca Dacca, Oils or Rose Tattoo maybe.
    They're good Aussie bands that people sing along to.
    The unofficial Aussie chorus of "Am I ever gonna see your face again" certainly comes to mind...lol

Yep, I like the way you are thinking

I saw Barnesy in Canberra last night. Still got it and tore the house down

#16 4 years ago

beastie boys- fight for your right

#17 4 years ago

Cosmic Psychos - Back at School.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mach5Amps:

Social Distortion - Story of my Life?
    Something like a punk song, upbeat/fast, lyrics about school, and you can dance and sing to it.
    Just a guess.
    Came out early '90's, but I see Social D didn't tour Down Under until 2010.

Yep, that's the one I immediately thought of. Great song.

#19 4 years ago

suicidal tendencies - institutionalized.

#20 4 years ago

Summertime blues by a bunch of people

#21 4 years ago

"Birth, School, Work, Death" by The Godfathers

It's punk (but not hard core) and maybe not fast enough. Was already old when you were traveling, and crowds could easily sing along with the part that mentions school.

In fact, it seems like it was written for the crowd to chant the lyrics during that part.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Axl:

Take a look at the Australia charts. If everyone was singing along, it should have been in the carts. http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-charts-end-of-year-charts-top-100-singles-1998.htm
    This may help you to narrow it down:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_about_school

unbelievable - i found the song!!!

i went through the list of the charts from the link.

the song is „prisoner of society“ from the living end. don‘t ask me why i thought it was something about school! i don‘t know!

thank you 1.000 times that you postet the link! you are the best axl!

thanks to all the other people who wanted to help me and postet something.

i never heard before of band the living end. maybe it was only popular down under? i recommend to listen to the song! i like it very much!

ralf

#23 4 years ago

too save others the trouble of googling

#24 4 years ago

Pretty good song. Glad you found it.

#25 4 years ago

Good job tracking it down - it's always great to hear a song from your past that could've'been lost forever.

They sound like Green Day and the singer does look a bit like Matthew Perry.

#26 4 years ago

Hmmm, I know that song, always thought it was Green Day.

#27 4 years ago

So great to hear you found the song!

#28 4 years ago

Nothing like an earworm to keep you up at night. Congrats on keeping your sanity

#29 4 years ago

Well done! Nothing better than sorting out something you have been pondering for a long time. Especially after two decades...

The Living End is still playing, and is extremely good live. Love what they do with a double bass. Check out their other stuff too

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-a-song?hl=sinistarrett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.