Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Hi all,
    I've been in the hobby a couple years now, started with a Spy Hunter (wife likes, I love it), added a Jungle Princess (wife and I love it), got a Baseball for my mom (it's ok) and a Post Time for my father-in-law (like it), and added a Super Star (wife loves, I like).

That's 1 SS and 4 EM's all under $1k, with the Post Time and Super Star cheap but needing some work to be playable. Wife just asked me "If you COULD get any machine, within reason, what would it be?"

And it struck me that I don't know the answer to this question. Immediately NIB visions started dancing in my head, like a Mustang or IM which we've played and love, or maybe Star Trek Pro, but looking at $4-$5 for those. Then I thought I could go after an older but super popular machine, like TZ or Addam's Family or LOTR, but also around $4k for decent.

Looking for some guidance for what I could realistically pursue (between $2-$3k in great condition?) that would knock our socks off and not be nightmare to maintain. We don't have a lot of opportunities to play games in the wild, so looking for a solid can't miss title.

Is my best bet to go after something like a White Water or Star Trek Next Gen or something like that?

I guess this is your typical "Best bang for the buck" question but giving you a little background for what I'm thinking. Thoughts?

#2 8 years ago

Whatever comes up. I had a TAF offered once to me for $1k, and a no name EM for 7k.

I learned early to just see what comes up, buy it, and if it doesn't pan out, I sell it. You would be amazed at the games you never thought you would like, and vice versa.

#3 8 years ago

double post

#4 8 years ago

I wouldn't buy a game based on some ranking. Some top 10 games don't do it much for me. Some games that I think I would like, I don't and vice versa. The only way to figure out what you like is by playing. You can do what Atomicboy suggested and just buy whatever is available. I rather not waste time and money and figure out exactly what I want.

#5 8 years ago

The updated prices on the game pages are much more realistic than they were a year ago. I don't see anything in the Top 20 going for much less than $4k unless you're super lucky or the machine needs work. From a pure rankings perspective, at $3k in great shape you're looking at some of the B/W titles in the 30s - FH, TS, WW, BSD, NGG. Like the previous poster said, you're not going to get a great response if you're basing primarily off ranking and not style of game.

#6 8 years ago

Plenty of good, affordable pins a little deeper in the rankings. Getaway HS II, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Fish Tales, BSD

Basically 1/2 the price of pins in the top 20.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks all,
    What I figured you would say, and I would love to get a chance to play many of these games before I buy, but more likely is that I would not unless I got lucky. Of the games I own only my wife remembered playing Spy Hunter, all the others I tested as I could at time of purchase, but had already made decision to buy if condition was pretty much as advertised.

I'm pretty easy to please as far as gameplay. My wife is harder (and plays more). She likes fast and fun, but also easy to understand, and is more influenced by theme. BSD would be a great theme for her, but possibly frustrating to play. Fish Tales would be a fun play, but I can't see her wanting the theme in our house. Whirlwind or Getaway might be safer titles.

Looking to transition to more SS (or possibly a DMD) games, trying to see how best to do that.

#8 8 years ago

Ripleys believe it or not ....

#9 8 years ago

I pick up whatever is cheap. There are a handful of pins I'd like to try to get above others, but I'll grab whatever bargains pop up. And if I don't like a pin after fixing it up and playing it, I can always sell it to someone else who will enjoy it for a while.

If you want to get a chance to play and learn rules before you buy, check out the pinball arcade app.

Also, since you're in NJ, the Silverball Museum looks to be about an hour away from you. They have a good selection of games to play, though the last time I was there, pretty much all the DMD games had weak flippers (I'm hoping that has been corrected by this point).

#10 8 years ago

Highly underrated and/or undervalued games:
    2k-3k
    Demolition Man
    Johnny Mnemonic
    World Cup Soccer 94
    Tales from the Crypt
    The Shadow

If you need something in the top 20, Star Trek:TNG and White Water are undervalued for the high level of play you get. You will not find either under 3k tho.

#11 8 years ago

Get a short want list of games that are acceptable to you and your wife. Keep theme in mind also. If she hates fish, then do have her try out Fish Tales. I would send a friendly PM to locals in your area that own a game you are interested in and ask if you could stop by and give it a try. Use the Pinside map to find locals in your area that have one you are looking at. I tried out games at friends before I bought on my last few pickups. Bring your wife if you go also. Have her involved in the decision and you will both be happy. If a game that you like may seem to hard for her or yourself just put it on 5 ball until you are comfortable with it.

I think you are on the right track with The Getaway and Whirlwind. DM, WCS, T2, JM, I500, BK, BK2000, and Shadow are great in the $1500-$3000 price point. Mustang Pro's HUO have been selling in the mid $3,500's if you can find one.

If you ease into the comfortable $1500-3000 price point on a top 100 game and you will be happy. You can sell these for around what you paid all day long.

#12 8 years ago

Road Show is in the $2-3k range and has two heads and two shooter lanes. You can't get that kind of value with the other games mentioned so far. Funhouse has only one head and sells for more. In terms of heads for your dollar, Road Show is ridiculous.

#13 8 years ago

I always point people to this article. It's not a definitive list or anything like that, but it is a great starting point. The prices have gone up long since this blog was first published (I would say current prices are 50% higher than those mentioned in the blog). But the sentiment regarding relative value is still valid:
    http://gameroomblog.com/guides/the-top-ten-best-bargains-in-pinball-today

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Plenty of good, affordable pins a little deeper in the rankings. Getaway HS II, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Fish Tales, BSD
    Basically 1/2 the price of pins in the top 20.

Add JM to that list. Awesome and fun pin I just added and I love it. Even my family loves it which is really saying something.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

I always point people to this article. It's not a definitive list or anything like that, but it is a great starting point. The prices have gone up long since this blog was first published (I would say current prices are 50% higher than those mentioned in the blog). But the sentiment regarding relative value is still valid:
    http://gameroomblog.com/guides/the-top-ten-best-bargains-in-pinball-today

Great article. Thanks for sharing. I've had a few of those titles listed and I can't agree more. Still have never played Shadow or BSD but certainly would love to some day.

#16 8 years ago

Thanks for feedback all,
    I had a shot at a Whirlwind over the weekend but looks like I was 12 hours too late. But have the wife's buy-in on grabbing a new machine, would like to end up somewhere in the $1500-$2000 range if I can.

That article was great, supported much of what you're saying above even though some of those machines are now priced out of reach. I'll keep my eyes for for titles like:
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Demolition Man
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Road Show
    Twister
    Whirlwind
    Terminator 2

Might post a "Wanted" ad soon if nothing comes up. Thanks for feedback all!

#17 8 years ago

Add WPT, Stargate and Doctor Who...

#18 8 years ago

Since you're not looking to do a lot of maintenance, I recommend a newer Stern. ACDC Pro and Xmen Pro are both pretty damn good and can be had for around $3500.

#19 8 years ago

Or for $2500 you can skew older and get a Fish Tales or World Cup Soccer. Or for $2000 you can skew creepy and get a Tales From the Crypt or Frankenstein. All excellent bang-for-the-buck titles.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Since you're not looking to do a lot of maintenance, I recommend a newer Stern. ACDC Pro and Xmen Pro are both pretty damn good and can be had for around $3500.

I have not seen any X-Men Pro at that price recently. Most have still be above $4,000.

#22 8 years ago

I am new to all of this, but I, too am looking for titles within my budget (UNDER $2500), obviously that are not top 10 or 20. But I find a HUGE disparity in prices - is that norm? For example, I really want a Xenon for sentimental reasons, but one seller was asking $4000? Are you kidding me?

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from WedgeHeadRevival:

I am new to all of this, but I, too am looking for titles within my budget (UNDER $2500), obviously that are not top 10 or 20. But I find a HUGE disparity in prices - is that norm? For example, I really want a Xenon for sentimental reasons, but one seller was asking $4000? Are you kidding me?

Sometimes you might find that a person tries to sell something for more than it's worth. Crazy, I know.

#24 8 years ago

Hey Stevevt,
    I sense sarcasm, but go easy on me, I'm new to the whole pin scene and some of the prices for older units make my jaw drop!

#25 8 years ago

Sorry about that. Welcome to the hobby. A couple good resources for determining market prices:

bostonpinball.biz (click the eBay Sales Summary link on the top right for the most current list)
    pinballprice.com (figure out the horrible interface, then do some searching)

When you see a "crazy" price, it's at least possible the condition and/or restoration level explains why it's above the average market price. It's also possible the person selling it either has no idea what it's worth, will only sell it for more than it's worth for whatever reason, or is just looking for a sucker. The longer you hang out, read, learn, talk to other pinball people, etc., the easier it will be to figure out.

#26 8 years ago

Get a budget that you are comfortable with. Go play as many games as you can and get a want list. Meet as many people as you can along the way and they can help you later and become your friends forever even. Look at the sales forum history for certain games to help gauge a value. Buy from a local Pinsider as a first one. Thank you!

#27 8 years ago

Thanks for the links/advice stevet! IT'll take a while before I soak in the 'normal' prices of particular machines. I'll check 'em out.

pinnyheadhead - thanks for advice on past sales - I didn't know that was a feature!

#28 8 years ago

I really want a Xenon for sentimental reasons, but one seller was asking $4000? Are you kidding me?

Old pins are like old cars.

You can get a rusted '67 Fastback Mustang for $10,000 or you can get a '67 Mustang show car for $150,000.

-

You will find lots of average Xenons for $1000, but a completely re-manufactured one will certainly run you $4,000+

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-a-realistic-top-20-machine-to-pursue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.