Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by altan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gordonshumway.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Been down the used route, the new route and have been a bit flummoxed.

The old machine brought nothing but maintenance issues. The new machine (Hobbit) was too hard for the family to master, and it was flawless in its reliability. That said, we still want pinball in our life. That brings the question:

Is there an older machine (or newer) that is computerized that is built of high quality that offers a simpler theme for those who don't hold an in depth play skill?

In addition I want a collector type piece that will hold its value and has seen nothing but pampered care since new (preferably) one owner. I'm open to any ideas, and certainly to a good machine that meets this criteria. Thanks.

#27 4 years ago

Hobbit was a great game, loved the quality of a JJP. When I said I dislike "maintenance", I didn't mean any work at all. I enjoy tinkering, and JJP required not only a bit of troubleshooting, i.e. mis-wired switch, broken wires, or the mods that (should have) been done initially - the flaps, plastics and wireforms. I'm ok with that. I'm spoiled now with the flat panel screen as compared to the small (maybe) colored display. It had excellent glass (invisi) and my playfield was a "10". I can't really fault anything on Hobbit, it was truly a great game. We did however have trouble getting anywhere with the rules and scoring. I've looked at MB and AFM, or Medieval Madness remake as a next? I'm not sure I'll enjoy it without a flat screen (any comments here are appreciated). The maintenance issues I encountered on the "old" machine were simply a 1980's vintage worn out pin that had been worked on, but never rebuilt to my taste. I really want a pin I'll be proud of for our beautiful game room.

#32 4 years ago

What games have a complete "computer" like JJP? Who has the best "non-flatscreen" display? Best sound?

Thanks

#41 4 years ago

I appreciate the comments.

I guess I'm looking for value, reliability, and something that everyone enjoys. My wife and I really loved Hobbit. The sounds and screen were a "10". I appreciate LargeMouth's comment - hadn't thought about that. You are right, the screen is really for the kibitzer's. We plan to go to Milwaukee in April. I know that this whole opinion thing is a personal preference. Everything in life is that way. That said, you ALL have way more experience in these machines and I always gain knowledge from every post. My original Williams Fire! was fun, but it was kind of like trying to keep a '68 Mustang going. It was always something. Both Hobbit and the old Fire! were money losers in the end. There probably are few if any machines that don't end up costing you. That's OK, that's entertainment. I would however like to keep that to a minimum. I have several old Hamm's beer signs in my playroom. They too were expensive, all were "like new" and collector quality. In their case, the family loves them and would never part with them. I hope that the next pin will bring the same - pass it on to the next generation...

Again, thanks to each of you for your valued input.

#46 4 years ago

Thanks guys. Started looking at Jurassic Park LE last night. I'll need to play it. AFM also is in my long list right now. I really want new, but if not, I hope I can find a HUO that is as nice as the Hobbit I just sold. I keep things pristine and would never be happy with any less.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gordonshumway.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-a-quality-older-machine?tu=gordonshumway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.