Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by altan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 4 years ago

Trying to wrap my head around "Hobbit was too hard for us."

Any HUO Stern game from the past 10 years will probably fulfill your criteria, except for "easier than hobbit."

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from gordonshumway:

Hobbit was a great game, loved the quality of a JJP. When I said I dislike "maintenance", I didn't mean any work at all. I enjoy tinkering, and JJP required not only a bit of troubleshooting, i.e. mis-wired switch, broken wires, or the mods that (should have) been done initially - the flaps, plastics and wireforms. I'm ok with that. I'm spoiled now with the flat panel screen as compared to the small (maybe) colored display. It had excellent glass (invisi) and my playfield was a "10". I can't really fault anything on Hobbit, it was truly a great game. We did however have trouble getting anywhere with the rules and scoring. I've looked at MB and AFM, or Medieval Madness remake as a next? I'm not sure I'll enjoy it without a flat screen (any comments here are appreciated). The maintenance issues I encountered on the "old" machine were simply a 1980's vintage worn out pin that had been worked on, but never rebuilt to my taste. I really want a pin I'll be proud of for our beautiful game room.

Dude, you just got lucky.

Every single pinball machine - even new ones - has potential "maintenance pitfalls." You can go years without an issue, or a game can "break" within 5 plays. Doesn't matter the model or make. The fact that you successfully owned a Hobbit - a known Maintenance nightmare - and had zero issues shows you how inexact this science is.

I don't think you are gonna get what you want here. People are just shouting out the names of their favorite games. The best advice you got here is to go to a pinball show or a big pinball arcade somewhere and just play the games and see what you like. If you want a "flat screen" that limits you to about a dozen games or so these days so shouldn't be so tough to narrow it down. The five JJP games, the Spooky games, and the Stern games built in the last 4 years have LCD screens (I think that's what you mean by "flat?")

I do think you making the right move avoiding "old" games - buy something new, made in the last few years, and you'll be loading the maintenance lottery well in your direction.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Based on the posts you’ve made, I’d say Monster Bash, Vault Spiderman, or Star Trek Pro.

None of those has the “flat screen” he craves from a quality older machine.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from LargemouthAss:

The CGC Special Edition and Limited Edition remakes have outstanding color DMD displays. I have an AFMr SE and the display and sounds are great considering the audio was recorded in 1996. If you are looking for the JJP package it probably will not live up to your expectations; however, the game is more fun to shoot (in my opinion), has much better call outs, and the rules are easy enough for my whole family to understand.
    I have found that the flatscreen displays are cool for people watching you play but are not particularly beneficial to the player. The more that is happening on the backbox the harder it is for the player to follow unless you are constantly trapping each shot and looking up.

Where's Odin when you need him?

"Pretty sure every digital machine I own has flat screens. Put my Dirty Harry screen on a flat surface and a ball won't even roll on top of it! Except maybe old gottliebs which are slightly rounded? Still my struggle buggies is the best game I own and it has curved screens!"

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from LargemouthAss:

I meant the LCD screens on modern Stern/Spooky/JJP games. Pretty sure that was obvious.

It was obvious.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-a-quality-older-machine?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.