4DA4843B-A056-4D09-B3C7-29F4F3DDF5B8 (resized).jpeg
D75ACE70-348B-4FCA-AE15-F498296FCAEE (resized).jpeg
A16393BA-1FA5-4A43-A20C-AFF29D401079 (resized).jpeg
C48C41AD-B641-4377-AF12-27446B6F6175 (resized).jpeg
DB600090-F399-4315-9C80-D2BAF006ACED (resized).jpeg
3FC7E793-1A4F-45EF-AFB5-A06C80A00D0C (resized).jpeg
A48FE8F1-8F86-4230-B064-EAACD25D7090 (resized).jpeg
C22AB0F7-D3EF-473D-AC35-C7B3E7E56DC5 (resized).jpeg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Ok so a bit of an update but still need help. A local Pinsider came over and helped me install a new fuse holder and a new fuse. For the first time the machine turned on. Now the DMD isn’t working. When I sent my boards to Chris Hibler I didn’t send the DMD power control board but the tech that helped me doesn’t think it’s the board because the voltages weren’t testing right. I swapped the transformer from my South Park, which I know works, and it tested the same. So what can cause the voltages to be off, possibly cause the DMD to not work, and isn’t the transformer?

There is a dmd high voltage board in the back box. Step one is to check the voltages going into the dmd display... then work backwards from there

#52 5 years ago

Tech here - Here's what I saw, one thing I missed, and what I'm suggesting next.

1 - at the HV board input (connector 1) - both 5v AC and 110v AC are there and solid. The 18v DC line was incorrect as was the 88v AC line. However, since there wasn't a 88V common line - I measured the 88v to ground, not the white common line, which likely caused the misreading. I sent Eric a message (or will drive back out) to retest that voltage and ensure the 88v is up to snuff.

2 - He's had the boards worked on and confirmed by Chris - so I know it isn't a board issue. I'll start troubleshooting downstream through the connectors to determine where the Blue wire/18v is missing. As mentioned earlier in the post (and I can confirm from looking back at the auction posts) - this is one of those from the east PA auction that were reimported from Europe and there is a lot missing (significant mechs gone, light bulbs cut and harvested, even the start button and coin door switch was gone).

He'd repinned the transformer connector, but I went through and verified/repinned a few to confirm the transformer to wiring harness lines are good - so I'll know pretty quickly where to go next. If voltages don't show - There's likely more connector work. If they are confirmed - then it is the HV board. (output wise : -110, -98, and 12 weren't there - 68 and 5 were if memory serves). Given the state of the other boards, it's probably safe to assume the board may need attention - but I didn't want him to send out and incur another board repair charge until confirming it 100% with a little additional research (and rechecking my 88v test).

This said - if anyone can say "oh yeah - that sounds like XYZ needs replaced on the HV board regardless" - I can get those done ASAP when I test the other voltages

#53 5 years ago

If you still need the repairs done, please PM me.

I repair several barcades in Pittsburgh, as well as clients between New Castle, Beaver Falls, and South Park. And I work PAPA every year as well.

I'm in New Kensington.

1 week later
#54 5 years ago

If the HV was missing -110/-98 then that is the issue. The 18V isn’t a problem as it doesn’t really pass through the HV PS board. Perhaps it was there for growth.

Please let us know what you find @statictrance

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#55 5 years ago

All values on the input were there no issue, so the transformer (More importantly - the wiring from the transformer to the board) is totally fine. The board itself isn't putting out either -VDC value or the 12 VDC. After pulling the board and getting a closer look, there has definitely been work done to it (some pretty poor) in the past and on top of that, a number of items have been depopulated.

4 weeks later
#56 4 years ago

Hello all - I'm throwing up the tech batsignal on this Display Driver board - hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

So, just to fill in the backstory - Ericc123 bought a Stern 520-5055-00 REV-E display driver board off eBay used to put in this game. He then ordered a ROM chip for it and installed it.

He ordered a new HV board for the game and installed it as we had previously discussed, but still no display. I've verified all of the voltages are there, and was just about to swap the board for another one from his South Park, when I noticed the ROM chip was installed upside down. I tried to flip it, but I'm assuming the damage to the chip is already done

First question - That's obviously going to destroy the chip, but could that have damaged anything else? (I didn't think so, but wanted to confirm. Only encountered a flipped ROM one other time, and it didn't affect the board. However it was also a Gottlieb Sys3 Sound board.) Luckily, I have a ROM burner, so burning him a new one is easy.

Anyway - So I removed the ROM and the board. We tried the board in his South Park and while we did get an output, it was very garbled. It was getting late, so we decided the next best step was for me to take the board home and do some additional testing (I have a VND, so I can run it in my game). When we were packing up for the night, I swear I saw/heard a spark on the board, but I'm not 100% sure. It looked like the 40-Pin Processor, so I kept that in mind should anything else pop up in my testing.

However, when I got it home and installed it in my VND - the board immediately blows my 5v fuse which of course bricks the game. I replaced the 40 Pin as a precaution due to the phantom spark, but still am blowing the 5v. If I check continuity, I'm getting a buzz between the ground and 5+ line on the connector coming in which seems to indicate a dead short.

Second question - Any ideas where to begin troubleshooting next? I don't see anything obvious (no burns, no marks, the board looks clean and untouched other than my 40-pin replacement.

Thank you all for any assistance!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution
Pinball Machine
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 18.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 18.95
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, PA
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-a-pinball-repair-tech-in-pittsburgh-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.