(Topic ID: 83460)

Looking for a pin in the $2k-3k range - recommendations?

By zrbrt

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bellbrand
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Picture 038.jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

If you don't have any other pins,don't get these first. Both are pins for players that have played everything else. Get a Terminator 2 or something that has a big following. Not crapy movie's turned to crapy games. You'll thank me later. Both of those games will make you quit the hobby. T2 is a bad ass game for all levels.

That's a pretty insanely biased statement. Im 24, never played pinball growing up, and have only been playing for about a year and love shadow so I don't think you're right at all. Sorry you don't like ts, but you are right about t2. Very fun .

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

That's a pretty insanely biased statement. Im 24, never played pinball growing up, and have only been playing for about a year and love Shadow so I don't think you're right at all. Sorry you don't like ts, but you are right about t2. Very fun .

So is TFTC for price and everything it has in it.

#53 5 years ago

if you choose well with a bit of luck 3,000 would get you two great older machines that in the long run hold their own against all of them

#54 5 years ago

I love my TFTC. Great game. Don't forget about Judge Dredd.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

If you don't have any other pins,don't get these first. Both are pins for players that have played everything else. Get a Terminator 2 or something that has a big following. Not crapy movie's turned to crapy games. You'll thank me later. Both of those games will make you quit the hobby. T2 is a bad ass game for all levels.

Wow, talk about "Ready FIRE!!!!! Aim" syndrome of the mouth.

I have had TFTC and bought T3 and HS2 within 1 month just this year so not only did I live off of just TFTC since Aug 2012, I stayed and bought more pins....

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

Just like the title says, I am looking for a pin in the $2k-$3k range. I have heard good things about Whirlwind and The Shadow, anybody else have good titles that they could recommend? Anybody have a pin they want to part with in that price range?

Whirlwind, The Getaway, and The Shadow would be my top pics in that price range.

#57 5 years ago

I still think RBION is the best bang for the buck in this price range. Great rules, call outs, dots, gameplay, variety, gimmicks, etc, features that aren't in many higher priced games and none priced below have it. hs2 is boring after a couple of months, very limited, cool game, but lacks longevity in a small collection. Whirlwind is cool, and shadow is very tough, both are also good choices.

#58 5 years ago

Terminator 2. Mine might be going up for sale soon.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Wow, talk about "Ready FIRE!!!!! Aim" syndrome of the mouth.
I have had TFTC and bought T3 and HS2 within 1 month just this year so not only did I live off of just TFTC since Aug 2012, I stayed and bought more pins....

I shouldn't say they're crap,my bad,but I've owned both & both had to go. I think for $3K the OP could find both a WW,& a T2 which are way more fun in my book. But then again,what do I know.

#60 5 years ago

For up to $3k, T3>>>T2 imo. (And not just "one" better!) WPT is still my choice--tough to beat for flow, variety, challenge, depth, strategy, fun. I like it more than pretty much all the so-called "A-List" titles.

#61 5 years ago

What's not to like....

Picture 038.jpg
#62 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I still think RBION is the best bang for the buck in this price range. Great rules, call outs, dots, gameplay, variety, gimmicks, etc, features that aren't in many higher priced games and none priced below have it. hs2 is boring after a couple of months, very limited, cool game, but lacks longevity in a small collection. Whirlwind is cool, and Shadow is very tough, both are also good choices.

I have had Getaway for 12 years, still not bored of it. It's a fast blast, a true driving machine, with excellent Williams flippers, great sound, and a robust design. It is easy to maintain and rarely needs any repair. It was a good choice for a first machine for me.

I also have a RBION, which is a deep and complex and challenging game, but also somewhat delicate. It is quite the opposite of HS: very ambitious in design and rules, but perhaps a little lacking in execution. It has taken me far longer to get it all dialed in and working properly, which included repairing major parts. I love its gameplay, now that it is fully tweaked.

If I had to choose one myself as a single machine: RBION. If I were recommending to a new owner, HS2.

#63 5 years ago

Buy this guys T2! Great deal!!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ft-t2-tftc-jd-chicagoland-area

Trades pending on both the TFTC & JD now...very motivated to sell the T2...dropped the price to $2k OBO...willing to negotiate...PM me if interested.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

What's not to like....

Picture 038.jpg 457 KB

For me, a lot of it is the huge emphasis on the (loathsome) "cannon" for starting mb and scoring jackpots. I'd like to hit the most important shots in a pin with flippers, thankyouverymuch.

Besides, all the good stuff in T2 is just done better in T3. The tighter ramps, 2 different timed shot sequences, plus a tricky backbox toy--all good.

#65 5 years ago

Pinball Magic
Who Dunnit

#66 5 years ago

T2 - great game and in a good price range!

#67 5 years ago

I just got done checking out a Whirlwind that was pretty nice - it had two raised inserts, one of which led to the spinner on the right loop, with enough speed it seemed like the insert let the ball jump and hit the spinner too hard, slowing it down or even rejecting the ball.

The mylar around that insert and the extra ball insert was showing signs of peeling - if I lower the inserts with the c-clamp method, will that damage/peel the mylar even further? The table was in great shape otherwise, and the guy selling it was really honest and forthright.

#68 5 years ago

(this is the c-clamp method I saw)

#69 5 years ago

Anyone know? I just dont want to ruin the mylar when I start poking around.

#70 5 years ago

Here's a good YT vid on T3 if you think that's better than T2.

#71 5 years ago

Pins that I love in this price range or lower are: JD, Congo, Whirlwind, JM. Good luck let us know what you end up going with.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeguypec:

T2 - great game and in a good price range!

Played one tonight and still great fun and shot selection. Brought back memories.

#73 5 years ago

For your first game, I recommend you get a DMD. T2, TFTC, JD, JM are great examples. Not a fan of TS... too clunky, but that's just me.

#74 5 years ago

First game should be HS2 and it can be found for 2k, although it quickly creeps to $2.5 for super nice condition or $3k if pimped out and nice plated hardware. I would suggest adding BK for second pin. Can find for $1k but that rises to $2k if new CPR playfield installed and $2.5k if pimped out in chrome hardware.

It doesn't really matter what price level you get in at because there are always buyers for a game at each level when it comes time to sell. It is probably better advice to suggest buying at the level that you want to be staring at after the purchase though.

I sold a GREAT HS2 recently, and while waiting for buyer to show up, thought how it is the perfect title for a first time buyer. Theme is family friendly while allowing dad to still feel macho. Game has great flow and is all around fun. I still have a nice black knight available though...It has very good flow (Steve Ritchie design) while maintaining a retro feel because of the timed drop targets and mechanical bell.

#75 5 years ago

I just picked up a RFM and now looking for a RS..HSII is also great in this price range..

good luck

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside