(Topic ID: 83460)

Looking for a pin in the $2k-3k range - recommendations?

By zrbrt

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bellbrand
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Picture 038.jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Just like the title says, I am looking for a pin in the $2k-$3k range. I have heard good things about Whirlwind and The Shadow, anybody else have good titles that they could recommend? Anybody have a pin they want to part with in that price range?

#2 5 years ago

Wcs94, roadshow, demolition man, Dracula, indy500, just to name a few.

#3 5 years ago

Going to 2nd World Cup Soccer 94 and Dracula. Not sure if you play on location at all, but Whirlwind is at Blainbrook Bowl in Blaine so you can check it out there cheaply, World Cup is at Sun Ray Lanes in St. Paul, and Dracula can be played at both Mortimers and Blainbrook.

Any particular games or designers that you're really into?

#4 5 years ago

FT: King Fish of the 2-3K rangers IMO.

#6 5 years ago

Some pins I like are White Water, Monster Bash, Elvira, Theatre of Magic, Johnny Mnemonic (but my wife would say no to that), Demolition Man (same goes). I live in Uptown so I mainly play at Mort's - haven't driven out to Blainbrook yet.

#7 5 years ago

I think BSD is the king in that range. Great game and challenging enough to keep you coming back for more.!

#8 5 years ago

Shadow for sure.

#9 5 years ago

So, who has something for sale?

#10 5 years ago

The only machines on your list that you'll find in your range are DM and JM. The others are all $4K and way up, esp. MB.

That said, for just over $3K you could find a nice RIBION. That's a great machine.

$2,500 range... there are machines like WPT, FT, FH, RS to name a few really fun machines.

Fun machines on the lower price scale say $1,800-$2,200 are Taxi, TFTC, and T2. DM is in there too along with JM and JD, but could fetch up to $2,500 depending on condition.

Look around the forum threads to get some more game ideas. Pinsiders will add to the list in no time. Awesome, knowledgeable people here.

Most importantly and the best thing I think you could do for you and your wife is to find a place with a bunch of pins that you can play and experience first hand. That way, you can narrow your options down and see what you two like the best.

Good luck and have fun in your search.

#11 5 years ago

I know those are mostly out of my price range - but he asked about what pins I like. Is The Shadow 2-3 or not really? Looks like an interesting game.

#12 5 years ago

Get a Ripleys and you'll be very happy with your selection
Jackbot is another good game and it comes in under your low range of $2k

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

I know those are mostly out of my price range - but he asked about what pins I like. Is The Shadow 2-3 or not really? Looks like an interesting game.

Yep you should be able to find one for 2600-3000. Maybe a little less if you're lucky.

#14 5 years ago

The Shadow is a great machine. I had been dying to play one and finally got the chance a couple weeks ago. It was super fun. I believe it ranks in on the Pinside Top 100 at like 25. So it's an awesome first machine for sure.

You should be able to find a very nice one for $2,500-$2,800.

The worst part of that machine is the horrific translite. There's a great guy here named Aurich. He has designed a BEAUTIFUL alternate translite for The Shadow. It's a must have and makes the game looks 1000 times better. Also, Google Laseriffic. They have designed a super cool flipper topper that says....SHADOW on one flipper and KNOWS on the other. I look for the links and post them here if I can find em.

Here's a link to a thread with the translite. Just to make sure it's the same one.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hats-off-to-aurich-new-shadow-translite-amazing

Here are the Flipper Toppers. This is a thread link. I tried to upload the pics and couldn't do it. Click on the link and go to page 3 in the thread. Start scrolling down and you'll see them. They're way cool and a must add. Plus they're only like $5-$10 bucks for the set. The guys at Laseriffic are great.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-flipper-mod-by-laseriffic

#15 5 years ago

I saw the translite - there is an ad in the market with one, looks great but theyre asking 3700 How much should I pay for a redone TFTC? I see people say 1100-4000 so, help me out!

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

I saw the translite - there is an ad in the market with one, looks great but theyre asking 3700 How much should I pay for a redone TFTC? I see people say 1100-4000 so, help me out!

That title seems a little soft lately. 2-2.3k?

#17 5 years ago

#18 5 years ago

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-tales-from-the-crpyt-tftc-2200

That's a link to a FS thread for a TFTC posted not even 2 weeks ago. It's still for sale. Offer him $2K for it. See if he bites. If not, meet in the middle for $2,100. You can get one from $1,800-$2,200 depending on condition. Anyone asking $4K for a TFTC is straight up out of their mind. You could buy a WhiteWater for that.

TFTC is a fun game. Has some cool shots and ramps. Very good flow. Surprisingly, it's a way better game than I thought it would be. A nice game to own, but honestly, for $3-$500 bucks more, you're much better off with a Shadow. People who weigh in will confirm as much.

Like I said bro, take your wife out (if you guys haven't already) and try these machines before you buy one. That way you'll know which machine you two like best. IE-MM is the #1 rated machine in the Top 100. I could care less for it myself. And THAT"S what makes this hobby so GREAT. There are so many machines to choose from. Just cause someone else thinks 1 machine is the be all and end all of pinball doesn't mean that you have to agree or like it. You could buy a Shadow and get it home and hate it. Which is fine cause we all have different taste, likes and dislikes.

So I highly recommend going out and playing some pinball in the wild first.

Don't get over anxious and stress out. There's plenty of machines out there. You'll find a great one you guys love. But relax, have fun and enjoy bro.

Good Luck and welcome to Pinside and the Hobby. I hope this has helped.

PS-One machine leads to another and another and...

#19 5 years ago

ST:TNG No contest!
Steve

#20 5 years ago

All the responses are great! Anyone have The Shadow in the metro area that I could play? Any way to check? STTNG seems to be closer to 3.5-4.5k range - too much for me.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from zarco:

ST:TNG No contest!Steve

ill take a $2-3k sttng anyday

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from zarco:

ST:TNG No contest!
Steve

No contest because it's a $4K+ machine. No one sells that for $2-$3K.

#23 5 years ago

T2 of course. Mine for $2.5k ....

#24 5 years ago

Now to find somebody who will let me try these pins - all the arcades just have new machines around me. Hmm.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

Now to find somebody who will let me try these pins - all the arcades just have new machines around me. Hmm.

I have bought pins that I have never played before. The ratings on here and www.pinballreviews.com normally give a good gauge on how good or bad a machine is. Its important that you like the theme and how the pin looks too. I think 3k is a tough price point, it will get you a really nice B title or sometimes a beat up A title. That said, High Speed 2 for 2k, Fish Tales in the 2-2.5k range or shadow or no good gofers in the 2.5 to 3k range would all be good choices. I have had them all and all are great. I personally don't think rbion is a good first pin.

#26 5 years ago

It sounds like TFTC and Shadow are the front-runners. Are my non-pinhead friends going to like Shadow, or is it too diffficult?

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

Are my non-pinhead friends going to like Shadow, or is it too diffficult?

My non-pinhead friends do not like The Shadow. The biggest hits with them have been Dr. Dude, STTNG, EATPM, Shrek, LOTR

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

It sounds like TFTC and Shadow are the front-runners. Are my non-pinhead friends going to like Shadow, or is it too diffficult?

Shadow can be quite difficult. If you're worried about your friends liking the game, you may want to choose a different title.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

My room mate started liking pinball because of my shadow. I think the features have a cool factor that would interest non pinheads, but the gameplay can be a little tough. My top score is 980m (which isnt great), but my room mate got 950 a week after that. I think anyone can grow to love the shadow If not, hand them a coloring book or something.

#30 5 years ago

Herbert JUST beat me too it. LOL My sentiments exactly Herbert.

#31 5 years ago

Not a big fan of The Shadow. I actually thought SST was more fun....

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Not a big fan of The Shadow. I actually thought SST was more fun....

I agree...SST was way more fun (and I had both at one point). Shadow is a good game that I just don't like

#33 5 years ago

Nobody else really rallied around SST; why for?

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

Starship Troopers? I don't care for it, but again, it's at Blainbrook if you want to check it out. I think they have one at the Pinball Warehouse in Fridley for sale as well if you want to give it a shot.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

Bad theme and kinda ugly. If you want to get something you will love and so will your non pinhead friends will love as well, the Getaway is the pin to get. Or Fish tales.

#37 5 years ago

SST is really fun IMO, and a solid title. (Many friends also like this game.) And it's in your price range. Shadow is pretty cool too, but it's pushing $3k+ these days, generally.

(broken record impression) OK, in this range you gotta consider WPT. Do you like Steve Ritchie layouts? Howzabout Keefer rules? Chris Granner music? WPT has 'em all! Do you like depth? WPT is one of the deepest pins ever, and I would argue it's the most 'strategic' one, shot by shot.

Flow? WPT has it. Drop targets? SIXTEEN (count'em!). Nice open playfield that won't intimidate novices; subtle strategies to learn and exploit over time. A mini-playfield that is challenging and also requires precision. The main (non-drop-target) shots are tough, as the ramp and orbit entrances, and trough, are all located pretty high up the playfield. It will make the closer ramps/lanes on other games seem easier after a while.

OK, I'll give it a rest now.

#38 5 years ago

Woman with huge jumblies on the translite? Check. My wife likes cleavage, but not THAT much

#39 5 years ago

My opinion OP, but I went to a local place here in OKC where they have something like 45 pinball machines to play. They range the gamut of classics like MM, a couple of EM machines, all the way up to and including a WOZ.

I'm in the exact situation as you as I will be spending around $3K for my first machine. I played NGG, NBAFB, MM, Nascar, RCT, WOF, Corvette, RBION, TS, DM, and JD. My very favorite out of all the machines I tried (which was about 10), was JD and TS. TS is extremely fun, and the upper "battlefield" is super fun and challenging. JD is awesome in it's own right with four flippers, a ton of shots, and the widebody is really noticeable. Good flow too.

Either machine, you can't go wrong with IMO. I've tried NGG a few times and I just can't get into it like the others. I love Lawlor pins too as a WW will probably be at the very top of my list. Just the NGG didn't appeal to me for some reason. You may love it however. Just wasn't my thing.

Keep reading as much as you can here. I've learned a ton just reading all the different posts. IPDB is a great resource as well. One thing, always search an ebay seller's name. There seems to be a plethora of sellers we should avoid.

#40 5 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback! Any other opinions on Whirlwind, or anything else I should seek out?

#41 5 years ago

Whirlwind is great. Relatively simple, cool layout, great call-outs.

If you're down with system 11 games, Whirlwind is a no brainer. It also got some cool features in the fan and the spinning discs that will catch newcomers eyes and interest quickly

#42 5 years ago

Grab your cash and come down to Midwest Gaming Classic April 12 and 13. You should be able to walk a way with a game (or two) for $3000.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

Just like the title says, I am looking for a pin in the $2k-$3k range. I have heard good things about Whirlwind and The Shadow, anybody else have good titles that they could recommend? Anybody have a pin they want to part with in that price range?

What have you played and what do you like?

This is kind of like asking what shoes to buy, or which tires are best.

Everyone has different opinions on what games are good. Best thing to to find a show you can attend, and get a feel for what you like. There are many good choices that people have presented, but if you don't like it what is the point?

Find what YOU like, then narrow it down to the price range. You have a very good range there and you should be able to get a very good machine in that price range.

Good luck!

Chris

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-tales-from-the-crpyt-tftc-2200
That's a link to a FS thread for a TFTC posted not even 2 weeks ago. It's still for sale. Offer him $2K for it. See if he bites. If not, meet in the middle for $2,100.

I'd meet at $2100 (the OP of the thread you mentioned).

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

Shadow can be quite difficult. If you're worried about your friends liking the game, you may want to choose a different title.

or different friends...

(just kidding)

#46 5 years ago

Anyone want to weigh in on Revenge From Mars? Pricewise? I havent played one yet but there are a few near me... should I seek one out?

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I'd meet at $2100 (the OP of the thread you mentioned).

$2,100 less my commission. LOL J/K J/K

I hope you guys can swing a deal.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

or different friends...
(just kidding)

LMAO CK.

#49 5 years ago

I absolutely love RFM, but some people don't like the pin/video fusion.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

If you don't have any other pins,don't get these first. Both are pins for players that have played everything else. Get a Terminator 2 or something that has a big following. Not crapy movie's turned to crapy games. You'll thank me later. Both of those games will make you quit the hobby. T2 is a bad ass game for all levels.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside