DCP01183.JPG
DCP01432.JPG
DCP01436.JPG
DCP01434.JPG
DCP01311.JPG
IMG_20170415_170135 (resized).jpg
IMG_1025.JPG
#1 6 years ago

I'm in the market for a Nissan 350z. I've done some research but haven't identified any common issues with these other than the fact that they are low and tend to scrape the oil pan and exhaust. Many of you pin guys are car guys... so I thought I'd solicit advice. Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

Sold mine 5yrs ago for a 5.0 mustang

The engine likes to burn some oil.

#3 6 years ago

5.0 Mustang seems like a better car. If you're going the Z route, shouldn't you be looking for a 370z?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

5.0 Mustang seems like a better car. If you're going the Z route, shouldn't you be looking for a 370z?

Exactly what I was going to say.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Sold mine 5yrs ago for a 5.0 mustang
The engine likes to burn some oil.

We had a new 06’ and the oil consumption was so bad we had to have the engine replaced! At first they tried to say it was common on a sports car lol! Then there were so many complaints they started replacing engines! I do think it was mainly the 06’. I do still miss the car! Wicked fast and fun.

#6 6 years ago

I was at a place that responds to crashes on Interstates and was taking to one of the responders. When he hears sports car ran off road he said it is usually a 370Z. He said people don't keep up with the tires because they are staggered. I thought that was interesting.

#7 6 years ago

Mine was the early 03. Bought before they even started shipping... had only gotten to see one, never drove it etc. took delivery in oct 03 if I recall. I helped run one of the major z sites too.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I helped run one of the major z sites too.

Was that motorists assist guy blowing smoke up my ass, or are tires a real issue? Just curious, since it looks like you have the most experience modding a Z forum.

#9 6 years ago

You really need to go 370Z for a multitude of reasons. You can still get great deals on older models and the body style and features have barely changed from the current model. My personal preference is Chicane Yellow (color of my 2017) which was only available in select years. Also, as a FYI, you'll never find pics of the car in the "Vehicles you can fit a pin in" thread!

Also, staggered tires are only on select trim sets (sports package) which I have and love - gives a more aggressive look to the car. A case can definitely be made for a Camaro or Mustang depending upon your desires. I've always wanted a Z since high school (280ZX was the model in the mid 80's). I just love the sportiness of the car and the lines. I wanted a raw sporty feel (one of the professional criticisms of this car is that the interior is not as refined as the Camaro or Mustang). I'm also not really into "muscle" which is more of the Detroit feel. Finally, I have a 45 minute commute to work and I've kind of made it a driving game to count the Z's/Camaros/Mustangs some days. On average I see 2-3 350/370 Z's per week on the road, about 3-4 Camaros per day, and 5 or often times double digit Mustangs per day in a single leg of my commute. Not saying that the Z is more exclusive, but it is nice to have a little individuality on the road.

IMG_1025.JPGIMG_1025.JPG

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You really need to go 370Z for a multitude of reasons. You can still get great deals on older models and the body style and features have barely changed from the current model. My personal preference is Chicane Yellow (color of my 2017) which was only available in select years.

I would agree, if money isn’t a factor on the 350, get the 370 instead.

#11 6 years ago

Found this quick comparison: https://dustrunnersauto.com/350z-vs-370z

Personally, I wanted a brand new car, but if that was not the case my top reasons for a comparable aged/trimmed 370 vs 350 are as follows:

- Sleeker styling: Rear fender flares, back of the car look, rear boomerang lighting vs. 350 with backups built into bumper, door handles, no rear wiper or external antennae on 370

- Quicker: 0-60 at 4.5s vs. 5.1s and 1 s faster in 1/4 mile, 370 is lighter, lower, and wider.

- More powerful: stock 32 horses more (over 10%) than 350 with more torque & higher RPM

Both are highly modable/customizable and comparative rates.

Ultimately, if you are still on the fence then I highly suggest driving both before making your final decision. When I say driving, I mean be aggressive. Push the pedal to the floor, take some winding roads, slam on the brakes hitting a corner, etc. These cars were made to drive and you are selling yourself short if you don't get a real feel for the car before you make a purchasing decision. Also, even with the traction control on and new tires, the rear of the 370 loves to slide a little when aggressive all the way up through 3rd gear. Very fun with TC on, honestly a little scary with it off but still tamable.

#12 6 years ago

Friend bought a 1990 300zx from Texas - drives it all the time and loves it.

He left the industrial sized mobile phone installed above the console for lighting ambiance.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

He left the industrial sized mobile phone installed above the console for lighting ambiance.

The 300Z has its place in history, but my least favorite of all the Z stylings. It has that early '90s look that is reminds me of a Delorean or Fiero or even the same period Corvette. Less curvy, more angular, etc.

BTW, these days I've seen iPad mini mods for 370's not already have the tech package in them. Looks pretty cool and functional from what I've seen.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

I loved those. You don't see them around anymore, but it would be awesome to find a low mileage 300z that wasn't molested.

#16 6 years ago

Z31 all the way.

IMG_20170415_170135 (resized).jpgIMG_20170415_170135 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Jeewiz13:

Z31 all the way.

Definitely best looking in black. I do remember having a business acquaintance in the late 90's who owned a new 300ZX in black. That car was always immaculate and had a mirror shine on it at all times. I eventually discovered that he was a software business owner/developer for car wash POS systems, so part of his deal with his car wash customers was always having a washed, waxed, and detailed vehicle.

#18 6 years ago

I've got a 1990 300ZX Twin--incredible car. Built sooo well. Nissan decided to go for a lower price niche on the 350. I had a 370 convertible That I just traded in. Fun car but too cramped as I am 6' 3"

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Blakester:

I've got a 1990 300ZX Twin--incredible car. Built sooo well. Nissan decided to go for a lower price niche on the 350. I had a 370 convertible That I just traded in. Fun car but too cramped as I am 6' 3"

Funny, as I am 6-3 and am actually surprised with how well I fit in the coupe. Leg room is perfect with seat fully back and there is ample headroom with at least a couple of inches clearance. The only challenge I have is that it is a little tight getting in and out if parked where I can’t swing the door fully open.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Was that motorists assist guy blowing smoke up my ass, or are tires a real issue? Just curious, since it looks like you have the most experience modding a Z forum.

Since the car uses staggered tires you can’t rotate all four... and they were directional tires too, so rotating side to side requires unmounting the tires. So yes it’s true it takes more effort and you won’t get as much life out a set of tires verse a traditional setup. But it’s no less safe or anything... just means you use up tires more.

I never had to worry much about uneven wear... but the early cars had problems with feathering on the front tires which caused accelerated wear. I think I went through three or four sets of tires when I had the car. Soft summer tires don’t help the wear life either

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Funny, as I am 6-3 and am actually surprised with how well I fit in the coupe. Leg room is perfect with seat fully back and there is ample headroom with at least a couple of inches clearance. The only challenge I have is that it is a little tight getting in and out if parked where I can’t swing the door fully open.

I’m just over 6’1 and could just barely wear a helmet in the car.. but was perfectly fine for Day to Day.

When I went to shop for a replacement, I sat in the G37 and 370 and found them more cramped than the 350 due to all the extra cockpit stuff that tightened up the driver area.

If the G35 was out when I bought the car, I probably would have bought that instead. Close enough performance and more luxury.

Once the new coyote motor came out in the mustang tho, one drive and I was hooked.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Blakester:

I had a brand new 1989 300ZX Turbo before all of the changes the following year with the body style and boosters.

Extremely fast car for it's time, but the vehicle sat too low to the ground and was way too bumpy of a ride for me.

I sold it with less than 10K miles and never looked back.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I’m just over 6’1 and could just barely wear a helmet in the car.. but was perfectly fine for Day to Day.
When I went to shop for a replacement, I sat in the G37 and 370 and found them more cramped than the 350 due to all the extra cockpit stuff that tightened up the driver area.
If the G35 was out when I bought the car, I probably would have bought that instead. Close enough performance and more luxury.
Once the new coyote motor came out in the mustang tho, one drive and I was hooked.

To your point, I haven't done any autocross yet, so no need for a helmet. I do plan on doing some, so guess I will find out soon enough how well I fit in the car then.

#24 6 years ago

In memory of... how about some old car p0rn...

a winter day...
DCP01183.JPGDCP01183.JPG

mandatory vanity plates..
DCP01311.JPGDCP01311.JPG

And after a proper polish+wax..
DCP01432.JPGDCP01432.JPG
DCP01436.JPGDCP01436.JPG
DCP01434.JPGDCP01434.JPG

And this is real reflection...
DCP01437.JPGDCP01437.JPG

#25 6 years ago

Bought this 2005 in 2010. I sold a restored CC that paid for more than half. We have a lot more fun with the car than the pin.

9ADF3BF8-487C-4402-8833-2E6AE3EDDA7C (resized).jpeg9ADF3BF8-487C-4402-8833-2E6AE3EDDA7C (resized).jpeg

#26 6 years ago

Great reading. Really didn't expect so many comments. Agree that 370 is better but I'm looking for a toy under $10k, so that means a 350. I already have a mustang ('96 cobra) or I would go that route (much cheaper for similar aged car).

#27 6 years ago

Still have my 1995 300zx in the garage deciding what to do with it over the many years since it’s was my first car.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

Great reading. Really didn't expect so many comments. Agree that 370 is better but I'm looking for a toy under $10k, so that means a 350. I already have a mustang ('96 cobra) or I would go that route (much cheaper for similar aged car).

Well cool then, as it sounds like you know what you want. Looking forward to seeing pics when you find the one that is right for you.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Bought this 2005 in 2010. I sold a restored CC that paid for more than half. We have a lot more fun with the car than the pin.

Love the yellow - great choice!

1 week later
#30 6 years ago

I Opted for Blue...

IMG_4273 (resized).jpgIMG_4273 (resized).jpg

#31 6 years ago

You did well, my friend. Nice looking Z and all kinds of fun just waiting to be had.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

mandatory vanity plates..

Those are some great plates. The polish was great too.

#33 6 years ago

Why not go for the convertible/roadster?

#34 6 years ago

Slight hijack I know but Ive always been a huge fan of the Datsun 280Zs - something about that car just looks cool in a retro sort of way to me. My dad had one when i was about 8, which probably has a a lot to do with it..

#35 6 years ago

My mid '80's high school dream car
-x260.jpg-x260.jpg

My 2018 mid-life crisis reality car
370z.jpg370z.jpg

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

My mid '80's high school dream car

My 2018 mid-life crisis reality car

Ha! Love it

1 month later
#37 5 years ago

I owned a 1970, and 1972 240Z, then a 1977 280Z. The sheet metal on these rotted out very fast. The 1972 was 6 years old when I got it, and the rear quarters and rockers were gone.

#38 5 years ago

I just bought a 2003 350z in bronze that should be here this week. Adding to my growing Z collection - ‘73 240z, ‘88 300zx turbo, and ‘91 300zx twin turbo.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-a-nissan-350z and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.