Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by rwmech5
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I am looking for a new game. I really enjoy the mode set up and flow of Star Trek. Is there anything out there similar that can be recommended.

Also a fan of Iron Maiden, LOTR, and Kiss.

Really looking for something mode based.

How is Stern Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles when it comes to modes?

Or stern Jurassic park?

Haven’t had a chance to play those games but interested in them.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

#2 1 year ago

Go out to local arcades or distributors , play games till you find something you like.

#3 1 year ago

If you like mode based games, Iron Maiden is the game to get. I really like the modes, and in my opinion it has the best rules of any stern game.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

If you like mode based games, Iron Maiden is the game to get. I really like the modes, and in my opinion it has the best rules of any stern game.

Yes I have Iron Maiden and love it.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

Or stern Jurassic park?

I think they are both pretty terrible when it comes to modes.

#6 1 year ago

Iron Maiden is an awesome game, TMNT is also fun and a more appealing theme for families. Kiss sucks. JP is also good but I think IMDN is the better game YMMV

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Go out to local arcades or distributors , play games till you find something you like.

With my life schedule not in the cards man.

#8 1 year ago

Godzilla and Jurassic park are pretty killer games. Both have fun modes

#9 1 year ago

To clarify I have Star Trek, kiss, Iron Maiden, and LOTR and love those games.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Buddy just got a Godzilla LE and I can play it when ever I want or this would be the pick.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Good to know Jurassic Park is mode based. I bought Avenger infinity quest and the jury is still out if it is a keeper for me.

#12 1 year ago

I’m not a huge fan of the Jurassic Park theme, but I’ve had the game since it first came out. I think it has the best rules in pinball. It also has a decent amount of flow. I’m always returning to play and trying to reach the top of the map.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I’m not a huge fan of the Jurassic Park theme, but I’ve had the game since it first came out. I think it has the best rules in pinball. It also has a decent amount of flow. I’m always returning to play and trying to reach the top of the map.

This game was my original want and than I questioned it after Avengers. Good to hear this and appreciate your input. Theme is not a huge must have for me either but if the game is awesome….

#14 1 year ago

I love me some AIQ, but the rules are over the top.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I love me some AIQ, but the rules are over the top.

You and I think are on the same wave length. I suck so I think it may just be too complicated for me. That is why I mentioned Star Trek as a rule set I enjoy.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

To clarify I have Star Trek, kiss, Iron Maiden, and LOTR and love those games.

JP3 for me was very very bland for modes.
    Start a paddock, white shots are lit, shoot them then eacape....it just bored me. Nothing like avengers or SW which are well thought out. Elwins weakest for me but everyone loves it so grain of salt.

Does TMNT even have modes? I had the thing for months and cant even remember

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Start a paddock, white shots are lit, shoot them then eacape....it just bored me. Nothing like avengers or SW which are well thought out. Elqins weakest for me but everyone loves it so grain of salt.

That is not encouraging on the TMNT front.

#18 1 year ago

You've got some great games in your collection already. Since Godzilla is out, I would say Rush. If the theme is to your liking. It's really a killer game. The rules can be deep if you wish to go there. But you don't have to. The modes are great.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flippersaurus:

You've got some great games in your collection already. Since Godzilla is out, I would say Rush. If the theme is to your liking. It's really a killer game. The rules can be deep if you wish to go there. But you don't have to. The modes are great.

I will have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

That is not encouraging on the TMNT front.

Its a VERY, VERY frustrating game. I sort of got into it a little bit but its an absolute ball buster but not in a great way. There just aren't any real satisfying shots.

It's def the opposite of GZ for ball times, which csn be nice

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Start a paddock, white shots are lit, shoot them then eacape....it just bored me. Nothing like avengers or SW which are well thought out. Elwins weakest for me but everyone loves it so grain of salt.

Much respect to TheLaw, but there is way more going on then that to capture a dinosaur and move on to the next
    Shoot white arrows to spell map
    Aim jeep to select direction
    Shoot T Rex ramp
    Rescue people
    Shoot trap targets
    Shoot dinosaur
    Shoot helicopter
    Repeat

T Rex, raptor, chaos multi balls. Plus map multi balls. All unique in their own way. Fossils and smart missiles. There’s a lot to learn, but not to much. Also, you need a sub woofer. Just my 2-cents. I haven’t been a huge fan of any new games since GZ.

#22 1 year ago

If it helps anyone on game recommendations.

The three I would possibly move in my collection would be Avengers, ACDC and Ghostbusters.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

Yes I have Iron Maiden and love it.

Sorry, I read it as one of the games you were considering. Looks like you already have the games I’d recommend for mode based games. Stranger Things is a really fun game, but hard to find at a decent price these days.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Much respect to TheLaw, but there is way more going on then that to capture a dinosaur and move on to the next
    Shoot white arrows to spell map
    Aim jeep to select direction
    Shoot T Rex ramp
    Rescue people
    Shoot trap targets
    Shoot dinosaur
    Shoot helicopter
    Repeat
    T Rex, raptor, chaos multi balls. Plus map multi balls. All unique in their own way. Fossils and smart missiles. There’s a lot to learn, but not to much. Also, you need a sub woofer. Just my 2-cents. I haven’t been a huge fan of any new games since GZ.

Ha no worries just my opinion.
    I was specifically referring to modes themselves not all the other stuff MBs etx.

But anyway, for me all the rpg-ish elements didn't do enough for me. I never overly cared which direction I went, becasue I never thought the rewards given were that exciting. Of course I did have the game early.
    Like I said, everyone loves it!

#25 1 year ago

Yes, Turtles has 8 main “Episodes” (modes) plus Neutrino Pizza Party and a few small things like the April Hurryups and 123Foot.

#26 1 year ago

Looks like you need to start a poll.

#27 1 year ago

The most similar newer stern to Star Trek as far as modes go is Guardians of the Galaxy. Both let you pick a mode to start. Both have a simple mode start shot if you finish or time out a mode before you drain, it’s the scoop on Guardians. Both have straight forward multiballs that you can bring into modes, both have good flow with fan layouts.
    I have and love Sterns Jurassic Park, but it is not a traditional mode based game. There are TREX modes, control room modes and dinosaurs to catch which are modes, but all 3 mode types are started in very different ways, some of them fairly complicated. If you know the rule set by heart like I do it’s no problem, but casual players that come over have no clue how to start or finish modes.
    Everyone who comes over LOVES guardians. Anyone can walk up and see that you shoot Groot to get into a multiball, and everyone starts multiple modes per game because like Star Trek you can choose it from the plunge. Everyone also knows how to compete the modes because you just hit the lit shots.
    The game has a lot more depth than that if you want it to with multiplier shots, stacking, level 2 modes, combo rules etc. but you don’t have to do any of those to progress through the modes to get to the 3 different wizard modes.

#28 1 year ago

I think DI is my favorite mode based game. It has maybe 11 very different modes.

I also have Hobbit and there are 31 modes on that game. Didn't look like you have had either. Good luck.

#29 1 year ago

Speaking of DI, don’t know if Wonka appeals to you, but it is loaded with unique and interesting modes. A good mix of stacking and non-stacking.

#30 1 year ago

IJ is the best mode based game.

#31 1 year ago

If you like Star Trek I think you'll like GOTG.

I recently bought a JP and theme just doesn't do anything for me. Already trying to trade it for a GOTG, IMDN, AIQ or GZ

Just my 2 cents

#32 1 year ago

Have you had an opportunity to play Lebowski? 5 rug and 3 car modes, the bowling alley and the rules are not terribly deep. It has been getting the most plays at my house.

Quoted from jorge5240:

I am looking for a new game. I really enjoy the mode set up and flow of Star Trek. Is there anything out there similar that can be recommended.
    Also a fan of Iron Maiden, LOTR, and Kiss.
    Really looking for something mode based.
    Or stern Jurassic park?
    Haven’t had a chance to play those games but interested in them.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Mike

#33 1 year ago

I want to thank you all. Really good info. I learned a lot.

Guardians of the galaxy- I love the theme, originally really wanted the game. Then I saw some videos of early code and basically gave up on that game. But looks like I need to give it another chance. Like I said I love the theme.

Jurassic Park- looks like this could possibly be a good pick but may be too deep and complicated.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- this one looks to be out or at least a lot more research needs to be done before considering.

Dial In- Again played it again at an arcade and couldn’t get into it but it was early code and I actually had no idea what I was doing.

IJ- This is a bucket list game. One day I will own a HEP level version.

DE Star Wars- not mentioned but another game I have an attachment to. This was the first game I ever owned. I actually really enjoyed this game with the updated code. I sold it and regret it. Again another game when money is no object I will buy back and have restored.

Again thank you all for your responses. Looks like I have some homework to do.

#34 1 year ago

Don't buy any game without completed code.... easy.

#35 1 year ago

I have Gotg Ijpa and St Th. If you want to play modes to progress to mini and main wizard mode, Gotg is the best bang for your buck. Cleland code is a must. St Th progresses through ladders like Afm and has lots of different modes too. Depending on budget Gotg then St Th then IJ.

#36 1 year ago

What about mando?

Modes?

Obviously I know it not highly acclaimed and at this point not looking for that

The guardians LE around me the dude wants 14.5k. That is some sticker shock

#37 1 year ago

IM, LOTR, Godzilla. Can't go wrong with any of those.

#38 1 year ago

Stranger Things has lots of modes so it's a good pick if you like the show.
    As mentioned Turtles has modes and they have different animations depending on if you win or lose the mode so I like that aspect of it. The pizza eating button mashing is dumb but at least you only do it once per game.
    Also check out Star Wars. It's primarily a mode based game with lots of good music and sound effects. Pro or Premium.

#39 1 year ago

Gotg LE is not worth the extra cost imo, the features added don't justify it. Pro plays the same, only thing that really adds game play is the spinners.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-a-new-game-?hl=theshaft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.