5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Acampero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

So I was discussing getting a pin with my wife today over dinner. One thing lead to another and she basically said that I could get any machine I felt was a sound investment. She knows how much I loved playing Tron and Iron Man at the Louisville show, so when we were going over various games, she said, "Well, didn't you really like Tron? Why don't you look for one of those?"

She knows the cost of them, but she's given me the OK.

The question I have is this:

I loved Tron. It was LOT of fun to play. However, does the cost justify the game? I can get a LOT of games with that budget. I realize it's a really great investment in terms of longevity and resale (if it ever go to that point), but there are SO many games out there. I prefer games that aren't just about hitting the loop over and over and over to rack up a huge score. I like games with fun, deep, and engaging rule sets. What games should I be looking out for?

The only rules she gave me were that it needs to be family friendly. So no Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Baywatch, Playboy, etc. She wants a game that, when we have kids (or when our friends bring theirs over), they can play it and feel comfortable with the machine and theme. Something like LotR is fine, she said Spider Man seemed neat (however, I only played the game once with lightning flippers, so I don't know how the game actually plays), thought PotC sounded neat...

Like I said, I have a LOT of freedom with this purchase.

I was originally looking at lower cost games with fun themes I liked, but now that she's given me the OK, I've decided to expand my horizons. I apologize for any other topics I've created that don't coincide with this! I am looking at prices of Tron Pro's right now, so if I find one that feels right...

Having said that, I am setting a budget for myself of $5k, but I don't necessarily want to spend that much. I will if it's justified. I'm just not entirely sure what I should be hunting down to play! Thanks in advance!

#2 5 years ago

Tron is an excellent choice IMO. IJ is also a blast to play and very family friendly as is AFM.

If this is your first game you might even start with a upper tier B title. RBION, NGG, HS2, JM.

Or maybe even a solid system 11 Whirlwind, Pinbot, Taxi, Funhouse.

In the words of RotoDave "a lot of fun can be had for 2 or 3K"

good luck in your search

#3 5 years ago

It will indeed be the first game I own. With the way space works in our house, I will likely only own one machine for a LONG time.

Also, per her request, we're going to set it up in my office, facing the kitchen, so everyone can see it when they walk in. She wants it to be inviting, haha.

#4 5 years ago

Addams Family is very family friendly, looks great and is fun to play for all!

#5 5 years ago

The only one I played was SUPER dark, so I'd like to get out and play one with more light. I wasn't a huge fan because of the lightning I was dealing with at the time.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

Looking for a fun, deep game

Get in line pal. That's what we're all looking for. d

I'd recommend a Pirate's. It's nice looking, family friendly, simple enough for casual players to enjoy, deep enough to keep experienced players coming back for more and within your budget.

#7 5 years ago

I say get the shadow it's an awesome fun action packed pin that's pretty deep. Way bellow your budget and give it a couple of years and it will go up a grand in value.

#8 5 years ago

Ripleys is awesome pick up for 3000 or so

#9 5 years ago

She and I are both big Disney fans, and when I mentioned PotC, she seemed excited. I haven't had a chance to try one yet, so I'm definitely interested in giving a go.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Snowyetti:

Ripleys is awesome pick up for 3000 or so

I really do not enjoy this game. I don't know why, but it just didn't click with me.

#11 5 years ago

I agree with POTC. It's not the deepest of games, but fun for the family (from casual to competitive players). Lots of fun toys and if you like the music and theme, it's right on.

#12 5 years ago

Shrek

#13 5 years ago
    #14 5 years ago

Kind of an odd question that's somewhat (?) related...

I found a machine I'd be possibly interested in checking out on Craigslist, but it's in Orlando. I'm in Indianapolis.

When those come up, do you guys look for reliable locals here on pinside?

#15 5 years ago

My vote is for RBION or LOTR.

If you only get one pin (YEAH RIGHT) then I would vote for one that has a deep ruleset.

#16 5 years ago

STTNG features two cannons, a poker night video mode and the guy from Reading Rainbow. Otherwise known as the Triple Threat!

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Acampero:

My vote is for RBION or LOTR.
    If you only get one pin (YEAH RIGHT) then I would vote for one that has a deep ruleset.

Right now, the problem is that I have an L-shaped desk in my office, as well as bookshelves covering the other wall. There's really only space for one game. Once we get done decorating the loft, I may be able to put a machine up there, but that's a WAYS down the road.

#18 5 years ago

can you even get a Tron or LOTR for 5K?

#19 5 years ago

Yupp

#20 5 years ago

Red and Ted's Roadshow, Stargate, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, all have deep rule sets and are a blast to play. All of them should be around $3k or less as well being family friendly.

#21 5 years ago

RBION has a deep ruleset and takes a while to figure out. But it is a hell of an underrated machine and can be played for a few mins or a few hours. I know the knock against LOTR is that ball times and games go 15+ minutes, but that does not seem the case for RBION. Check it out.

http://papa.org/2012/01/27/keith-elwin-does-a-tutorial-believe-it-or-not/

and this too…

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/ripleys/index5.html

My kids love this game because of the gameplay and the crazy fun factoids.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 70.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 27.99
    $ 9,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.00
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 5.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside