4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hi Guys,

My girlfriend really enjoys playing the wedgeheads that are card themed (blackjack, poker etc). Now given that I know virtuallt nothing about playing cards I was hoping that some of you could offer some suggestions for a great Gottlieb Wedgehead that was very fun to play and had a good card theme.

Many thanks,

George

#2 4 years ago

Lucky Hand! Pop A Card is fun also. Games are not so much about getting 'hands or suit' so to speak like a card game, but on Lucky Hand(there is also a replay title but I can't think of it at the moment)you must get certain cards in order. W/ Pop a Card,( Drop a Card is the replay version) you need to clear the banks to start awards of free balls. Others card themed titles out there but the two I mentioned I had.

I also had a Neptune...another great game but a bit harder to come by. Hit the Deck is the replay version.

I'm sure others will chime in.

#3 4 years ago

Jacks Open is the replay version of Lucky Hand.

#4 4 years ago

Thank you both,

G

#5 4 years ago

I love playing Jacks Open when I get the chance. It just keeps you coming back for more. Played it at the weekend and it didn't let me down.

#6 4 years ago

High Hand comes in for criticism for the non reset of drop targets during gameplay but for me its a winner! Frustrating yes, low score drains down the throat again yes but it has great card presence and brings you back for more just to beat this damn game!!

#7 4 years ago

Thank you all. Now I have to find some freakin room. I thought my Vespa affliction was bad, pinball is much worse. Need to sell my Vespa collection!

G

#8 4 years ago

I'm selling my Jacks Open next week. Otherwise I would have hit you up. It's a great game. I'm just running out of room.

#9 4 years ago

70's

Replay:

1. Jacks Open 3" flippers
    2. Drop a Card 2" flippers
    3. High Hand 3" flippers

Add-a-ball:

Lucky Hand 3" flippers
    Captain Card 3" flippers
    Pop-a-Card 2" flippers

60's
    All 2" flippers

Replay:

Kings and Queens
    King of Diamonds
    Sweet Hearts

Add-a-ball:

Diamond Jack

#10 4 years ago

Pop-A-Card and Drop-A-Card have 2" flippers. Love my Pop-A-Card!

#11 4 years ago

Want to drive to Milwaukee? I have a King of Diamonds for sale right now. It's a great card themed Gottlieb. Check out the market for it.

dave

#12 4 years ago

I might think about selling my "POP-A-CARD" classic pin, but my family would probably kill me. Anyways it is one of the nicest originals I have ever seen.

BEAUTIFUL playfield, with no wear at all
    Very nice cabinet, with some scrapes and nicks
    Very nice chrome door, coin entry plate and legs
    NEW reproduction Ron Webb backglass
    Just shopped & serviced ... plays & scores 100% correctly ... plug & play
    Pop bumpers rebuilt, flippers rebuilt, everything gone through.
    Extremely clean and solid, inside and outside

Let me know if you need some pictures ... or anyone else also

Dan

#13 4 years ago

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. I looked at Jacks Open and maybe I am missing something?? It just looks like the game could get sort of boring with no pop bumpers and mostly just drop targets. What am I not getting?

G

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Hi Guys,
    My girlfriend really enjoys playing the wedgeheads that are card themed (blackjack, poker etc). I was hoping that some of you could offer some suggestions for a great Gottlieb Wedgehead that was very fun to play and had a good card theme.
    Many thanks,
    George

Which machines does she enjoy playing?

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Hi Guys,
    Thanks to all who took the time to respond. I looked at Jacks Open and maybe I am missing something?? It just looks like the game could get sort of boring with no pop bumpers and mostly just drop targets. What am I not getting?
    G

It actually has 3 pop bumpers, but other cool features are:

1) The unique progressive order of the drop targets. You need to complete the hands in the order shown on the playfield. Once you complete this sequence, only the red (royal flush hand) cards pop up repeatedly for special.

2) The strategy involved with the four top rollover lanes. Every time all four are completed, the drop target sequence progresses one hand. One option is to wait to hit the 4th lane until you're going for a drop target hand higher in the required sequence.

3) The challenge of hitting a particular drop target and then keeping the ball from draining.

4) The challenge of the open gaps in the return lanes.

5) The bitchin' backglass artwork and overall colors.

6) It's poker man!

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Hi Guys,
    G

in addition to what the tuna says in the quote below...

jacks open may be something you have to play to appreciate... it requires accurate shots, many of which must be played with the ball in motion, as attempting to cradle the ball must be done judiciously... it allows for a couple of different strategies, and you can change your strategy mid-game if needed... for example, i have beaten mine several times on score without ever lighting the special, and conversely have popped many specials without coming close to beating it on score (i have my replay levels set pretty high)...

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

It actually has 3 pop bumpers, but other cool features are:
    1) The unique progressive order of the drop targets. You need to complete the hands in the order shown on the playfield. Once you complete this sequence, only the red (royal flush hand) cards pop up repeatedly for special.
    2) The strategy involved with the four top rollover lanes. Every time all four are completed, the drop target sequence progresses one hand. One option is to wait to hit the 4th lane until you're going for a drop target hand higher in the required sequence.
    3) The challenge of hitting a particular drop target and then keeping the ball from draining.
    4) The challenge of the open gaps in the return lanes.
    5) The bitchin' backglass artwork and overall colors.
    6) It's poker man!

re: #3... if i had a dollar for every time i cussed out that center queen dt, i'd be a wealthy man...

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

in addition to what the tuna says in the quote below...
    jacks open may be something you have to play to appreciate... it requires accurate shots, many of which must be played with the ball in motion, as attempting to cradle the ball must be done judiciously... it allows for a couple of different strategies, and you can change your strategy mid-game if needed... for example, i have beaten mine several times on score without ever lighting the special, and conversely have popped many specials without coming close to beating it on score (i have my replay levels set pretty high)...

re: #3... if i had a dollar for every time i cussed out that center queen dt, i'd be a wealthy man...

Or, if you had a dollar for every time you lost it through an open elbow........

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Or, if you had a dollar for every time you lost it through an open elbow........

then i'd be a REALLY wealthy man...

i cuss at myself for that though... you'd think that i'd learn... but NOOOOOOOO....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    € 12.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Multigame
    $ 24.50
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside