Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by guitarded
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Ok so I finally decided that I'm going to jump in an buy my 1st pin. I haven't seen or played any of these machines before besides Xenon

Any advice is much appreciated. Pros/cons, problem areas, knowns issues. Pretty much I'm open to all opinions on these titles I'll be checking them out next week and am 95% I'm going to come home with one of them. Some are ready to go, some I might have to wait a bit on till he finishes them up.

About myself I'm looking to improve upon my pinball playing ability as there is a very active pinball community where I live. Leagues haven't started up yet but we are into our 3rd month of selfie leagues and I'd just like to become a little more competitive so a hard title is not necessarily a bad thing. Or a pin which I can set up to make more difficult as time goes on. Keep in mind I'm a player not a collector.

I'll just list the pins and give my initial thoughts on each from the research I've done on here. I'm also looking for deeper rules if possible I know this list might limit that but there are the choices I have.

#flash This one looks like a decent shooter, not sure how deep it is though. For 1979 looks good for a Ritchie design but honestly was expecting some speedy loops. Not too keen on the increasing background sound..it might get a bit annoying. For 79 looks decent but I'm thinking it might not be the best pic. 19,000 produced so maybe parts will be easy to come by. I did read about issues on the flippers and drop targets as well.

#night-rider for 77 seems ok but not quite my style making this into a solid state seems like maybe an experiment for that year?

#tag-team-pinball Looks like a very interesting title. Might be more fun playing with 2 people as opposed to just myself. Looks like it might have some potential but i have no idea on what's what for Gottliebs. Gameplay looks maybe a little clunky or not the best flow?

#slugfest I love baseball but this one looks like again its better off with cooperative play, looking for more of a traditional playstyle pin. Heard this one can be a ton of fun though

#xenon Played it a few times on location never quite broke the score open and seems difficult enough..but the one I was playing the playfield was very very dark

#capt-fantastic Not sure if this is the EM or SS, if its the EM its not for me. Only found one video on it and one pic. Love the Elton John theme though. Artwork looks cool as hell but I'm more into rules and flow. No video on gameplay unfortunately

#wild-fyre Looks like a lot of everything just happens on the upper playfield without much player input

#gorgar Love the theme artwork and history on this machine. Love the heart beat sound and of course it talks. Beyond that not sure.

#royal-flush-deluxe Looks kind of fun but the gameplay might get old after a while looks like it plays more like an EM

#laser-cue I belive of the game I've listed this one is the biggest bang for the $ Seems like a decent set of rules that make you improve your accuracy and pay if you don't hit your shots. I like the pool themed games. Smaller pop bumpers is pretty cool way to free up more space 20x multiplier. Artwork is very cool if you look past the fact its 1/2 naked guys lol. Honestly pretty sure this is the pin I'm going to go with.

So there it is. Tell me what you think. Sorry for the long ass post.

Thanks in advance! Really excited to get my 1st pin!

#2 3 years ago

Lots of great games out there.

What is your budget? How many games are you wanting? Are you willing to buy a game that needs work, or does it need to be fully working?

Where are you located??

If you are just picking out of the games listed, laser cue is the easy choice.

#3 3 years ago

Since you want your first pin, I'd skip Slugfest. Not a pinball machine.

LTG : )

#4 3 years ago

personally i would buy Royal flush Deluxe, but that is me
for the first time buyer i would get either Flash or Xenon, (or both if you have the space) parts are easy to come by for both games

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Lots of great games out there.
What is your budget? How many games are you wanting? Are you willing to buy a game that needs work, or does it need to be fully working?
Where are you located??
If you are just picking out of the games listed, laser cue is the easy choice.

I agree on Laser Cue. They are within a days drive from me and all within my budget they are functional I only want one for now.

#6 3 years ago

I can comment on the ones I've played/owned/own...but agree that knowing your budget and what features you like in a game would help. The prices for these games would help too so we can see if they are priced right.

Flash - Fun game, and there are alot of them out there so they are usually found pretty "cheap" in the context of pinball. The game is actually a good player, and you can turn the background sound off (I did when I had mine). The art is...bad...but the game shoots good. Like you said, it's not deep. The 40 pin connector on that board set (same for Gorgar) can cause problems and will likely eventually need replaced if it hasn't been, so just something to keep in mind. The drop target design was also not the best with the horseshoe wipers, so they will probably need cleaned at some point as well if they haven't.

SlugFest - Great game, only 1,500 made and they are getting harder to come by. I have a blast with mine, but like LTG said it is not a pin, it is a pitch and bat game. If one of your main goals is to get better at pinball, this isn't what you're looking for. If your goal is to hang out and BS with some beers, it's the perfect game for that.

Xenon - Good classic Bally title with multiball. Great 80's art on it and some decent rules. Owning a classic Bally will definitely help you improve as a player.

Gorgar - Cool looking game, "iconic" theme and speech - but, I may be the outlier, but I don't think it's a great player or all that fun, especially for the money people seem to be asking for it these days. None of the shots really do much for me. Great to look at, but I think your money is better spent elsewhere honestly.

Of the games I've experienced and all the games on your list, if I was picking one for my collection I'd go with the Xenon for sure.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from JustinJohnson:

I agree on Laser Cue. They are within a days drive from me and all within my budget they are functional I only want one for now.

If you care to share the prices, some of us can also help on what the best value is as well. If you disclose your state, you may also see more posts with other machines available.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from JustinJohnson:

Laser Cue was in our league lineup for a season and it was actually a fun pin with lots to do, especially for the price they sell for. Good luck with your choice and welcome to pinball ownership

#9 3 years ago

Laser cue

gorgar

#10 3 years ago

I agree on Laser Cue, Gorgar and Xenon. Any of those are pretty good IMO. Or just wait for JJP to put out Toy Story and go for a CE of it, lol.

#11 3 years ago

These are all interesting choices. Some better than others, I think.

Laser Cue would be my choice, if I was looking for a machine with the most features from your list. Not the best looker but a good player with plenty of features.

Gotta mention that I love classic Ballys, so id say Xenon would be my close second option in this situation. Beautiful machine, although there is not much to shoot for, it still has a presence about it and really highlights a room. (Xenon cancels out Night Rider since they have similar layouts by same designer.)

Capt Fantastic is ok, not great. Has multiple flippers but lacks any interesting features other than some star rollovers. No saucers, no spinners. Mostly just a looker.

Gorgar is an all around classic and good looking machine. Wish I still had mine sometimes. A little more of a player than Xenon, and a little uglier, but I kinda like that.

Tag Team and Wild Fyre have good features as well and may still be worth picking up if the price is right. These are not pins you come across very often.

#12 3 years ago

Out of those choices it's Laser Cue, hands down. It's a real shot makers game and will improve your skills and ball control for sure.......more distant second choices might be Tag Team or Royal Flush Deluxe.

#13 3 years ago

Paragon is a challenging game that rewards good play and punishes bad play. It’s the game that helped me to develop my skills.

#14 3 years ago

Flash or Gorgar from the list, but instead of those I would suggest the original Black Knight which should be priced a little more but close to those two. It has a great play it again and again vibe.

#15 3 years ago

Skip Slugfest. That’s for when you have a bigger collection.

#17 3 years ago

I agree it depends on your budget. I own a Zenon and everyone you comes over loves to play her. Spinner and tube shot are fun to hit and plus it has multi-ball witch add to it. Good game to build on your skills.

#18 3 years ago

All things being equal, pricewise (none priced too richly or bargain priced for their repective model):

Xenon
Laser Cue
Flash
Gorgar

If my sole concern was improving my skills, Laser Cue might even be first on my list.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wantagh, NY
$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-at-buying-my-1st-pinlong-list-need-help-narrowing-it-down?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.