(Topic ID: 14122)

Looking at buying a Gottlieb Haunted House.. Price Check/Known Issues..thoughts?

By jonogo

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by jonogo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bischt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 12 years ago

Coincidentally I purchased a Gottlieb Haunted House just last week Cost me $2000 in CA. Unfortunately pin prices have been a bit high in CA but for me it was worth while. For my personal collection I wanted one of each "major" pin brand. For the Gottlieb machine I liked Black Hole and Haunted House because of the lower playfield.

The game is cool but you probably know that already. I love the three level playfield and elements like the secret entrance to the basement is neat. The game doesn't have multiball or speech (although they used the speech/sound board they didn't install a speech chip). My only annoyance is the sound that is played when a pop bumper is hit, gets repetitive and annoying.

For problems (people say it's a sys 80 but since I am a noob that doesn't mean too much to me). The battery pack on the CPU board is always an issue with any pin so install a remote battery if a previous owner hasn't already. Mine already had that along with a new rottendog power board. An issue I plan on fixing tonight is the lower playfield window will probably cause many airballs that will smack the playfield glass. It's an old game, buy new foam washers and screw down the window so it is once again flat with the playfield and hopefully you should be good to go.

Everything I have learned so far about this new purchase came from http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

I am very interested in hearing your experiences with the game since I am just learning about these old sys 80 machines myself.

#19 12 years ago

Ah looks like I spoke too soon. Did some digging and the annoying pop bumper sound I couldn't stand is a problem with the S16 sound line. So even if you have a machine that has been worked on and fixes implemented expect issues. But I think encountering and fixing problems is one of the fun parts of pinball. So yeah good machine. Sound is good when it's functioning and playing the right sounds at the right times.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bischt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-at-buying-a-gottlieb-haunted-house-price-checkknown-issuesthoughts?tu=bischt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.