(Topic ID: 186998)

Looking At An RFM With PinBox Need Opinions

By nerdygrrl

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

So, I am looking at an RFM tomorrow that has PinBox installed, but is having some trouble saving settings. I went through as many threads here as I could, but I am still kind of lost. I am not a computer person. I am a little leery about all of this talk of Linux.

- It seems like this was hacked software from NUCORE.

- That PinBox's website was shut down and therefore any sort of tech support for the software is not available.

- The only way to repair it now is to find someone that has saved code and reload.

- And NUCORE despite claims of coming back are still MIA

I really want an RFM, but this kind of scares the heck out of me. Am I making this into a bigger deal than it is? Thoughts? Opinions?

#2 7 years ago

I think you are making a bigger deal of it than it really is as there are definitely people on here that have experience with Pinbox and Nucore that can help or worse case you can buy the original parts and restore it to factory.

The one thing I would ask is what shape the game itself is in and what they are asking for it? Is the original monitor still in it, how does the playfield and cabinet look, etc? Depending on that should be the real determining factor on whether or not you buy it.

#3 7 years ago

Many thanks for the input. That's exactly the kind of input I was looking for. I just didn't want to pick this up and be stuck without a way to get it going.

1 week later
#4 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

- The only way to repair it now is to find someone that has saved code and reload.

That's not entirely true. Worse case scenario you could download a torrent of the code. I'll probably get crucified by the social justice warriors for suggesting downloading an illegal torrent, but if that's the only place you can find it then it's fair game in my opinion.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Scot0308:

That's not entirely true. Worse case scenario you could download a torrent of the code. I'll probably get crucified by the social justice warriors for suggesting downloading an illegal torrent, but if that's the only place you can find it then it's fair game in my opinion.

No you won't get crucified, it's really the ONLY currently available solution to a dead original computer or a dead nucore! Pinbox is great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 85.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-at-an-rfm-with-pinbox-need-opinions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.