(Topic ID: 17089)

Looking at a Used Johnny Mnemonic - What should I look for?

By Nuclear_Waste

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by marcand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Other than the glove, which I understand can be tested through a menu selection, what are the other problem areas to inspect on JM?

#2 11 years ago

Fading on the cabinet is common I hear. But mechanical wise, not sure.

#3 11 years ago

The alignment on the mOving hand is the biggest problem on that game. It has to be low enough to grab balls out of the matrix, but not too low so that they drag others with it. Also it has to be properly aligned on it's x-y axis (forward/back, left/rIght).

However this can be realigned. Just a pain in the arse..

-jon

#4 11 years ago

Make sure the glove / hand is working right so when the VUK launches the ball, it is in place and actually grabs it! That is where 90% of the problems I've seen with the game!

Other then that, I actually enjoy the game play!

-Aaron

#5 11 years ago

There's really not too much more to look for.

There's a diverter that should take the ball to the lanes at the start of each ball, and then the diverter should let the ball pass and head straight to the flippers for "ball saved". Make sure the "drop target" comes up to block the center lane (after a ball has been placed in the cybermatrix/tic-tac-toe board). Once that happens, put the ball in Crazy Bob's hole - the drop target should then go down immediately.

Make sure at the end of a game, the cybermatrix raises to direct all the locked balls back to the ball trough area.

#6 11 years ago

Make sure the 320Gb spinner is on it's proper axis. They get bent and are a pain to find and fix.
Jim

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

put the ball in Crazy Bob's hole

<snicker>

Thanks for the great info, all!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

The alignment on the mOving hand is the biggest problem on that game. It has to be low enough to grab balls out of the matrix, but not too low so that they drag others with it. Also it has to be properly aligned on it's x-y axis (forward/back, left/rIght).
However this can be realigned. Just a pain in the arse..
-jon

Good advice, but note that the hand will only grab balls OUT of the matrix when on a multi-player game. On a single player game, the glove only drops balls INTO the matrix....

Common wear spots are just above the RH-most upper rollover lane (this is where the glove drops balls for mode starts), the exit gap below the pop bumper field, and the top of the orbit. Also look for hole/saucer wear at the VUK and at Crazy Bob's

Later,
EV

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

NewPinOwner said:put the ball in Crazy Bob's hole
<snicker>
Thanks for the great info, all!

Wow, that does read pretty badly ....

#10 11 years ago

As said before...

1) Test the glove and drop a ball in the upper right and lower right locations during play
2) Good luck on finding a non-faded cab!
3) The spinners get beat since it's an easy score exploit
4) Look for cracked ramps - the ball gets FLYING and takes sharp turns on those ramps

Good luck - a few years back they were under $1k. Now? Not so much...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
$ 29.00
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 37.50
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-at-a-used-johnny-mnemonic-what-should-i-look-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.