2015-06-22_20.31.09.jpg
haunt6.jpg
haunt5.jpg
haunt4.jpg
haunt1.jpg
haunt3.jpg
haunt2.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I am looking at a Haunted House today. Pics show that it is in good condition, but seller states it is not playing. Lights come on but no sound and can't start a game. He's asking $1800. I'm considering offering $1600. Mistake or good investment?

P.S: It's a game that's "on my list"

#2 6 years ago

$1800 is way too much for a HH that doesn't even boot. Search the forum before making an offer, working ones sell for less. There are 2 working ones listed and unsold right now for $1700 and $1900. You'll put more work and money into a $1600 project game than it would take to buy a shopped HH.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Camvr2013:

I am looking at a Haunted House today. Pics show that it is in good condition, but seller states it is not playing. Lights come on but no sound and can't start a game. He's asking $1800. I'm considering offering $1600. Mistake or good investment?
P.S: It's a game that's "on my list"

Playfield and backglass condition is everything for this title IMHO. If the playfields are in good shape and possibly factory mylared, this will make the game worth more.

Getting it too boot and doing the ground mods is the easy part. I would take an HH without boards and excellent playfields over one fully working and beat any day of the week.

#4 6 years ago

I'd take any game with electronic problems over cosmetic ones, still no reason to pay working/good condition prices for an unknown problems/unshopped/good condition game. $1800 isn't even Ebay prices, a decent (not great) working one just went on Ebay for $1575. OP you can post pics to be sure, just saying I wouldn't be in that much for an average "good condition" project Haunted House.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks to both of you. This has been helpful. I'll go have a look. If it's HUO quality I may still offer the $1600. Hugely helpful advice here.

#6 6 years ago

it's a great game. I love it. I feel like I'm in the 80's again.

#7 6 years ago

Now with more pics. It looks immaculate.

haunt2.jpg

haunt3.jpg

haunt1.jpg

haunt4.jpg

haunt5.jpg

haunt6.jpg

#8 6 years ago

That's a GREAT looking game.

#9 6 years ago

Looks like some ball drop wear on the lower playfield and kickout wear on the main playfield, but otherwise looks pretty nice. Good luck if you do pick it up, report back with progress and such.

#10 6 years ago

Bring friends, great big strong friends.

#11 6 years ago

Hard to tell with the reflection in the shots.

The cabinet and glass look good.

#12 6 years ago

If you pull the trigger, plan on getting a Pascal PI80 all in one board. About $330, worth every penny.

2015-06-22_20.31.09.jpg

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from ParaBax:

Bring friends, great big strong friends.

Skates or a lift table and you can move pins solo. Need straps and cardboard to hold the head down on this one.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Skates or a lift table and you can move pins solo. But you need straps and cardboard to hold the head down on this one.

Game is a total monster weight-wise. The lower playfield has more wood than can be seen and Gottlieb made these things like tanks.

#15 6 years ago

Ugh I'm jealous! I want a haunted house so bad. Congrats on the pickup!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Game is a total monster weight-wise. The lower playfield has more wood than can be seen and Gottlieb made these things like tanks.

Not too bad, I loaded my Revenge From Mars with just skates by myself which is 360lbs. STTNG: 320lbs with just a dolly and a haunted house is 300lbs. However, still agree very heavy.

#17 6 years ago

Pin skates are magic. Except for Bally widebodies since they're not big enough. Then the magic is gone and you're left sad with a Future Spa in the middle of your driveway.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Pin skates are magic. Except for Bally widebodies since they're not big enough. Then the magic is gone and you're left sad with a Future Spa in the middle of your driveway.

I had to drill new holes for them to fit some machines.

#19 6 years ago

Mine come completely apart before reaching the legs on my Paragon. Maybe they've been creeping up in size as well as creeping up in price though. $145 for a pair of these suckers now!

#20 6 years ago

There are a lot of really nice routed HH's out there, for some reason they seem to hold up well over the years, sometimes due to mylar, so I seriously doubt it is HUO... looks nice though.

There are quite a few common wear spots that will normally be there, so if they are all missing, and not touched up, you might actually have a gem...

1. ball kickout lane. I see some wear there
2. ball entry area at the top tends to leave a groove, especially over the word "welcome"
3. vuk entry on upper playfield usually gets a bit of a divot
4. ball drop area on lower playfield
5. wood around edges of lower playfield window - either they will be worn or touched up with black, look closely
6. stock rings around pop bumpers tended to wear the playfield
7. examine closely for cracked plastics. There are a few that regularly get broken, particularly right in front of the upper playfield

There are likely other areas, but they paint a very accurate usage picture, and with true HUO you should see almost none of that. I've had a couple, and even my super nice one had minor signs of wear in all those areas.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

$145 for a pair of these suckers now!

I think they are larger now? I used (2) other's from friends before and they are both slightly different. Yeah, I spent that much. Not sure why they are so expensive. When I had to drill new holes I was a bit hesitant lol.

#22 6 years ago

Thanks everyone! This is a welcome first post to the forums. I've reached a deal with the seller. Citing the information provided here went a long way in negotiation. Going to finalize everything tomorrow. Again, everyone's been a HUGE help! I'll keep Pinside posted on my adventures bringing this machine into my home.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside