(Topic ID: 70227)

Looking at a Frankenstein...owner says it needs a Power supply..

By burningman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PoMC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey Everyone...I might be going to look at a Frankenstein and the owner says it needs a power supply. He actually said "The power supply it self is not putting out all of the correct voltages - needs rebuild"

Is this something that is common? any other issues I should look for?

I would think that in this state the game will probably not be able to boot. Hate to buy a brick, but if this seems to be an easy fix, I might just pick it up.

Opinions welcome!

#2 10 years ago

I love my MSF....but she has been a nightmare....PS rebuild, DMD rebuild, connector issues, etc....Running 100% for a few months now, but that is rare.....Grab it cheap and your good...If the DMD is bad, its the same as the WMS Dotmotion slot machines, cheap way to grab a spare...

#3 10 years ago

if it only needs a power supply why doesn't the seller buy a working ps and sell it working? i'm sure there is more it needs. if it was that easy it would be done.

#4 10 years ago

I bought a TFTC which needed power supply a few months ago, turned out it only needed a few connectors replaced, just like all pinball purchases condition and function always seem to be a bit of a gamble no matter how hard you inspect.

#5 10 years ago

Would any Sega PS worked in this if swapped in?

#6 10 years ago

Not sure...but after getting more info the game needs more than I thought...

#7 10 years ago

the mpu is a sega/de 36b which looks to be used in this and Batman Forever, Baywatch, Maverick and the ol Roach Racers

#8 10 years ago

I saw this ad also, but figured it's going to need more than just a PS. Would live up to its name after replacing all the parts. Heh

I have SST and if the power supply was compatible I could go there and swap and see what happened.

#9 10 years ago

You need a power supply for one of the games that uses the large DMD like Frank.

I had the bridge rectifier go out on the power board of baywatch recently for no good reason besides age and heat. Swapped in a new one and cleaned up connectors and fuse clips while i had the board on the bench. This board is really simple to fix. If you need help, message me.

#10 10 years ago

I was thinking on this game also, and was going to drive today but backed away not knowing all it needs..

#11 10 years ago

Been sold. Glad it was or I was being tempted with most challenging repair job I've faced yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 259.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-at-a-frankensteinowner-says-it-needs-a-power-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.