(Topic ID: 15959)

Looked at a nice TZ today but it had a full playfield Mylar. Opinions?

By Cobray

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0025.JPG
FT_022.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Went and looked at a pretty nice TZ today, a friend at work referred me to this guy that's owned this one and a few others for about 10 years. Stopped by today to take a look, and the machine looked nice. When I first looked at the playfield, it looked really clean, but then it hit me- it has a FULL MYLAR on the playfield. It looks like a really professional install, almost like it could be factory. I didn't see any bubbling and there didn't appear to be any clouding anywhere, at least of any significance. The colors were very bright and the inserts looked better than some of the games I've seen without mylar (zero wear around the inserts, of course). Game played great, and of course it had a few errors that I would need to fix (clock, a few switch error, etc.), cabinet was in above average condition as well.

I told the guy I would have to think about the purchase and get back with him.. I'm not sure what to think of the mylar to be honest. I've had mixed luck with removing it, on one game I removed it with no problems with freeze spray, on another I experienced some damage on the inserts when removed.

It's my experience that most people here frown upon mylar and may not even consider buying a machine like this. The guy is offering it at low $3K's, so it's a decent deal, but it needs shopped and a lot of fixes need to be done that will cost money. It also has a bolt through the lockdown bar for some reason, so it's not a buy and leave alone pin.

So what do you guys think? Go for it? Or wait for a TZ and pay more for one without mylar? Is mylar common for this game? I've never owned a game with full playfield mylar before, and I don't know if it will drive me nuts or not.. but I think I could possibly live with it.

Will this kill resale if I decide to move the game after a few months because the gameplay doesn't click with me for some reason?

Need some help deciding.

Current games in my collection are TAF, FH, and TS.

Thanks

#2 11 years ago

I say buy and remove the large center mylar since it could probably be gorgeous underneath

#3 11 years ago

A lot of people make a lot of fuss about mylar, but it really doesn't make the difference some seem to think. What the mylar /has/ done on that machine, is preserve all the art underneath. If you buy the machine, leave the mylar alone.

Williams did make a full factory mylar for this game, it's just not very common to find it installed.

#4 11 years ago

I do believe this was a factory install, it was done very cleanly and it's cut and lined up perfectly. If it wasn't factory installed, someone did an amazing job of getting this installed.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I do believe this was a factory install, it was done very cleanly and it's cut and lined up perfectly. If it wasn't factory installed, someone did an amazing job of getting this installed.

An old operator in chandler, az, told me Williams would provide the machines with mylar but it was up to the buyer to install the mylar. For example, Alot of High Speeds were wore down to wood, because alot of operators never put the mylar on the machine. The home purchaser, took the time to apply the mylar, resulting in some good HS examples out there.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from system11:

What the mylar /has/ done on that machine, is preserve all the art underneath. If you buy the machine, leave the mylar alone.

I agree. As long as the mylar is clear and isn't bubbling, there is no reason to mess with it.

#7 11 years ago

I have a TZ with the mylar. I don't see why so many people have issues with machines with mylar. I like the way the machine plays, and the playfield looks great, IMO.

Low 3ks is a good price. I paid $4000 for mine a few months ago.

#8 11 years ago

I'd be all over that. If you decide to remove it, you'll have a nice clean playfield underneath. I've had really good luck with removing Mylar from clearcoated playfields like TZ.

#9 11 years ago

where's it located?

i'll be happy to swoop in and give you my opinion.

i have a beautiful one that i purposely mylared. it preserves the machine, and noone would ever know. as a matter of fact, i can argue it plays better than on wood. but since it's really almost the same, i won't waste my breath on that one.

having sex w a condom means you're having sex...

-jon

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

having sex w a condom means you're having sex...

But it doesn't feel the same Sorry...had to

Back to TZ talk....I would say buy it and leave the mylar alone

#11 11 years ago

If you have a TAF you need a TZ. Can't have one without the other. I'd grad it for 3k before someone else does. That's cheap. Mylar is going to slow it down, but TZ is burtal and the ball times are short due to high drains anyway. Because of that, it won't be very noticeable, mylared or not. I've never seen a TZ with wear. It never gets played enough. Drives like a big boat and the game will be over before you know it. It's fun to have around, especially for that price.

#12 11 years ago

Mylar makes a game play slow. I hate it. With that said. Every game is evaluated seperatly when it comes to mylar.

TZ was not factory installed. The mylar should come off easily with a little elbow grease a hair dryer and goo gone. If you do this the game will look amazing and will play great as the playfield has been protected for so long. If your a beginner and the mylar is in good shape leave it and wax it good regularly then think about it later when you got more expiriance.

Factory installed mylar is put on while the ink has not cured long enough so when removing it you can take up the artwork. This was not the case with TZ as it was clear coated and didn't need the mylar.

#13 11 years ago

Mylar doesn't bother me much, as long as it's in good shape, and it sounds like yours is.

#14 11 years ago

Hmmm, glad I saw this post.
I just made a very similar comment on a different thread, but I just recently bought a routed FT with factory Mylar. I was so excited to see a pristine (albeit very dirty) playfield that I figured I would just patiently remove it and do a serious cleanup and clearcoat on it. Is this a bad idea???
The edges of the Mylar are pretty dirty. I doubt it would come perectly clean.

FT_022.JPGFT_022.JPG

#15 11 years ago

Hmmm, glad I saw this post.
I just made a very similar comment on a different thread, but I just recently bought a routed FT with factory Mylar. I was so excited to see a pristine (albeit very dirty) playfield that I figured I would just patiently remove it and do a serious cleanup and clearcoat on it. Is this a bad idea???
The edges of the Mylar are pretty dirty. I doubt it would come perectly clean.

Try out Treasure Coves 3 step system if you're going to leave it on. Beyond impressive on mylar. Having said that, the game will play much better with a nice new clearcoat as opposed to the mylar in my opinion.

The mylar edges in this pic had the kind of ground in dirt you're talking about.

Trev

DSC_0025.JPGDSC_0025.JPG

#17 11 years ago

I'd grab the TZ and pull the mylar off using freeze spray and goo gone. I bet the playfield is just beautiful under it! I would then get the TZ Mylar kit from Pinbits just put mylar in the areas where it's needed such as the pop bumpers, ball drop areas and the big piece below the slot kickout.

#18 11 years ago

Buy it and leave the playfield alone for now.

#20 11 years ago

If you are going to remove it, use the freeze spray/goo gone method but do it MEGA slowly. Its worked out for me very well on some machines, and extremely bad on others. If it looks ok, i wouldnt even bother removing it.

#21 11 years ago

At that price it's a good deal with or without mylar. But in a HUO environment, the mylar isn't really needed and in the long run, it may be a PITA to deal with if it starts coming up, wrinkling, tearing or getting foggy. But at that price it's a no-brainer. The machine is probably worth at least $4k

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looked-at-a-nice-tz-today-but-it-had-a-full-playfield-mylar-opinions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.