You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

airborne-03.JPG
airborne-02.JPG
airborne-01.JPG
#1 11 years ago

An Atari Airborne Avenger, hiding in a house right next to where I went to Elementary school that i must have driven by thousands of times...

You definitely don't see many of these (I've never seen one?), and it's in really nice shape for its age.

Steve Ritchie's 1st pin & only 350 made? I had to have it.

Missing a lockdown bar but otherwise looks complete

EDIT: Looking for an Atari Widebody Lockdown bar if anyone has one laying around....
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-atari-widebody-lockdown-bar

airborne-01.JPGairborne-01.JPG airborne-02.JPGairborne-02.JPG airborne-03.JPGairborne-03.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Nice.....it looks like a fun game (and that backglass looks like Atari 2600 box artwork...awesome)

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

and that backglass looks like Atari 2600 box artwork...awesome

That's exactly what I was thinking, that's really cool.

Nice find, it looks to be in awesome shape!

#4 11 years ago

never seen it before it looks super sweet

#5 11 years ago

It's a widebody too. Kinda get that "hercules" feel when I stretch out my arms over the flipper buttons :-p

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Nice.....it looks like a fun game (and that backglass looks like Atari 2600 box artwork...awesome)

Even better, the game has Atari 2600-type sounds.

Nice pick up!

--Luke

#7 11 years ago

I dont think Ive ever seen a bad Atari backglass. They always look great. I have an AA backglass on the wall that looks mint.

#8 11 years ago

Noyce!

Read an interview with Eugene Jarvis on firepowerpinball.com last night. He talked about his days at Atari with Steve Ritchie. Good read.

Said they had a problem with stuff catching on fire, lol!

#9 11 years ago

cool find - how does it play?

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

cool find - how does it play?

Just got it home last night and owner didn't have the key so I'll have to drill the lock. I'll let ya know once I can jam a few games on it. Funny thing is, the rubber looks decently fresh and white (as opposed to yellow and cracking). The Person said they bought it years ago and never played it. Probably was shopped right before they bought it and it just sat

#11 11 years ago

I think you really scored on this one. Great looking pin for sure.

#12 11 years ago

Nice find !

LTG : )

#13 11 years ago

Wow very nice !!

#15 11 years ago

OK since nobody asked...you said it was "hiding in a house". Do you just walk into random houses to find pins? If so, I guess I've been doing it wrong...since I never have these amazing finds.

It looks to be in great shape as well. So, If you didn't steal it then how did this come about?

#16 11 years ago

Actually, he posted on CL that he had some arcade machines and "one pinball". One of those "wife wants me to clean out the garage" scenarios.

He said "sure, come on by" and of course I told him I couldn't get off work until 4pm but I was no flake and would even paypal him a deposit. He of course says "what's paypal?"

Shit. Nevermind, I'll be right over.

Picked up an MK3/MK4 & this pin together. He ended up literally only living 2 miles from my house so I made three seperate trips with a really small pickup truck :-p

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Fred-Sanford:

I dont think Ive ever seen a bad Atari backglass. They always look great. I have an AA backglass on the wall that looks mint.

I'm guessing that is because there is really nothing behind there that you would need to mess with it ever.
My Middle Earth had all the boards and stuff in the bottom cabinet and nothing but a 60 watt bulb behind the backglass. Not sure if they are all like that or not.

Nice find, btw!

#18 11 years ago

Sweet!
Looks super clean, does not look banged and dinged at all.
Very nice.

#19 11 years ago

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Hope you enjoy playing it.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Do you just walk into random houses to find pins?

I've woke up like that. May as well look for pins before you leave. Unless you want some breakfast first.

LTG : )

#21 11 years ago

Saw it on your FB page. Great score!!!!

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from GWalton:

I'm guessing that is because there is really nothing behind there that you would need to mess with it ever.
My Middle Earth had all the boards and stuff in the bottom cabinet and nothing but a 60 watt bulb behind the backglass. Not sure if they are all like that or not.
Nice find, btw!

I think starting w/ Superman, everything was moved to the backbox.

Great score! Love me some Airborne Avenger. I love how these Atari pins represent the '70s very well through their artwork. It's too bad they didn't last longer after Superman. (To me, they were working their way up!) My buddy played a Road Runner and he also commented on a great pin that was!

A bit of advice: You might want to hitch those backlegs up on Atari pins. Some complaints that
they play way too slow...

#23 11 years ago

Ah, the 70's.

#24 11 years ago

Loved the Atari pins back in the day. This prompts the question: does Steve Ritchie like girls?

#25 11 years ago

Nice find, enjoy it!

#26 11 years ago

get it open yet?

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

get it open yet?

All outta time yesterday, I had to re-wire my entire home theatre / receiver setup (fun fun!).

Also, I just thought about it, and remembered its missing the lockdown bar HAHA

So I should be able to dismantle the custom black "tape job" that serves as the lockdown bar right now, slide off the glass, lift the PF and just unscrew the lock from the inside.

I'll see if I can get to it later tonight at some point and at least fire it up. Just been swamped with work.

I also started a thread looking for a lockdown bar if anyone has one laying around in a box or something

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

All outta time yesterday, I had to re-wire my entire home theatre / receiver setup (fun fun!).
Also, I just thought about it, and remembered its missing the lockdown bar HAHA
So I should be able to dismantle the custom black "tape job" that serves as the lockdown bar right now, slide off the glass, lift the PF and just unscrew the lock from the inside.
I'll see if I can get to it later tonight at some point and at least fire it up. Just been swamped with work.
I also started a thread looking for a lockdown bar if anyone has one laying around in a box or something

Nice, i want to hear about this. you gotta nice piece of history there.

#29 11 years ago

Wow, that's cool, I can see some Ritchie in it, with the fast shooting lanes and multiple targets on the same angles etc.

#30 11 years ago

Fun game! A friend in NJ has one. He sometimes puts a powerball in for more 'zip'!

#31 11 years ago

Come to Pin-a-Go-Go to see this game!
Thanks, Justin (fattrain)!
Brad

#32 11 years ago

If you can say, how much did it cost ya?

#33 11 years ago

I'm hookin' up PinballNut with a "deal" on this machine because:

1. He likes rare stuff (hence his big juicy melons game)
2. He's "the man"
3. He'll bring it to shows like Pin A Go Go for all to enjoy!

#34 11 years ago

Fusion301 has one in his stable that always gets lots of attention. It's a blast to play with some cool sounds. He has a powerball in it to liven it up. Good Atari fun on the cheap. I think if I had one I might try upgrading the flippers to a modern style (or more modern than the weird cylinder soleniods on that one, they went more linear on later models like Superman). Nice score.

#35 11 years ago

Early Steve Ritchie, early Bryan Cranston - nice find!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/look-what-i-found and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.