(Topic ID: 235404)

Look at what a few week old Beatles playfield looks like!

By Vdrums

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 209 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Travish
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is this acceptable dimpling?”

• YES 48 votes
    47%
  • NO 54 votes
    53%

(102 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unbenannt-2 (resized).jpg
b944a375ebcc1.jpg
975A4B20-EECF-4950-AFB5-7DCB2E9B2868 (resized).jpeg
5ce70e76e7ba1d59c7d031ec5dda3e9d32903678 (resized).jpg
02CC3604-195F-4D8B-8BB2-7AAE67290C46 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
couch.jpg
anttidote_golden_shit (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
C8DFF733-A37E-4822-B48E-9683FFF2AF86 (resized).jpeg
3253A399-1787-41B5-8EB3-0A946D7F9A90 (resized).jpeg
joker_dimple.png
bill (resized).jpg
beatles.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 5 years ago

Guys, I'm starting my own pinball company (three of them actually, you can never have enough!), and I'm looking to cut some corners by buying cheap, soft wood.

Can you guys please point me to where I can find these cheaper, softer trees? How does one go about cutting this particular corner? Are these trees grown in china? Or perhaps a lab in Bengladesh?

Also, one of my companies will be a "luxury pinball company," - kind of a Fyre Festival of pinball.

Can you guys please point me out to the expensive, harder trees so I can spend more money on a tougher, dimple-proof wood tp sell to the trust fund crowd? These are artisan trees that are hand-grown and cared for only by the most experienced, expensive tree farmers to ensure maximum hardness.

Thanks!

Also, how will this affect my BOM?!

#47 5 years ago

I still think you guys are all nuts.

I play pinball pretty much every day all over the place on all makes of games and I never notice dimpling.

Post any macro close up photo of anything and it's gonna look terrible. Try it on your face some time.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Your first step should be to call Stern.
They know where all the shittiest and cheapest materials can be found.
And I just ordered 2 Munsters.

They know where all the soft wood is and they aren't just gonna hand out trade secrets like that.

The search for flaccid trees continues!

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Dimples threaten the hobby?
What is it with newbs these days?

THEY ARE ALL CRAZY

#88 5 years ago

I think on the plus side, this proliferation of dimples in pinball may attract a new demographic that cannot resist them:

grandmothers!

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Like all those 90s playfields that were made with 5 layer plywood?
[quoted image]

You aren't looking hard enough.

Each of those layers is actually two layers.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Nice way to be a D*@! Vid-keep it classy my friend

How else is he supposed to act to ridiculous, made-up claims being used to support an annoying argument that drives all sane people here crazy - that somehow Stern has introduced dimples into our hobby to enrich themselves and screw all of the good people in pinball?

Where did you get the ridiculous idea that pinball "used to be made of 12-layer plywood?"

I mean...it's just completely made up, or, best case, you are just repeating some nonsense you heard without even considering researching it!

STOP DOING THAT

There's nothing "classy" about repeating bullshit my friend

#95 5 years ago

I hope someone at Stern is paying attention.

There's money to be made here in offering factory-installed plastic playfield protectors.

Make them dumb and expensive enough and there will be a large percentage of takers.

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I’m thinking it’s partly the fault of the super glossy thick clear coat that everyone likes on a shiny NIB game. It amplifies the dimple and in many cases, it is the only thing dimpled.

Bingo. This is why all these braniacs aren't seeing "dimples" on their 45-year old Gottlieb playfields; there's no clearcoat!

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Though it looks different, It's actually the same machine. JP's pics were with the flash on from directly above. Mine were without flash and more of an angle and with the reflection of the LCD off the playfield.
Guys that tap out dents in a car always look at an angle and at a reflection off it otherwise you can't see indentations.
I was actually there again tonight playing it (I really like the game) and asked a guy waiting to play if he noticed the wear, and he said he did. It's plainly visible to the naked eye. It does matter how you photograph it. Rain will hardly photograph at all without being backlit.

Right. So basically, this "dimpling" issue can be completely fixed by not trying to find it or photograph it.

Like last night, I was playing Munsters for the first time at Sunshine. Played a couple games. Watched other people playing games. Zero dimpling issues, cause I'm not insane.

But then, I suddenly remembered...Oh dimpling!!!

And I looked REALLY HARD.

And I found dimpling.

I am now insane.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

I was actually there again tonight playing it (I really like the game) and asked a guy waiting to play if he noticed the wear, and he said he did. It's plainly visible to the naked eye.

"Hey buddy! Do you notice all that playfield wear?"

Huh?

"The egregious playfield wear! All of that dimpling?"

huh?

"Those tiny little pockmarks everywhere! Do you notice it? Right there! Look close and you'll see what I mean!"

Oh yeah, sure. Hey can I finish my game?

"I'm posting this testimony to Pinside ASAP!!!!!!"

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from doublestack:

If stern does nothing I will be making a thread on this very soon.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I cannot wait!

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Levi, I basically agree with you that dimplegate is much ado about nothing. But I also know that you own zero games, and it's pretty easy to troll people who spend thousands of dollars on a toy and want it to look nice. Those raised rings around the posts are a bigger deal than dimples, and can eventually shatter, leaving a mess that even a blind old location player might notice.
I was a location rat for years; I've been a collector for years. You have a point, I get it, but there's gotta be something more fun to do in NYC than troll middle-aged toy collectors.

I own 20 games.

And there's nothing more fun to do from 9 to 5 in NYC than troll middle-aged toy collectors. I may as well be in the midwest when I'm at work.

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from doublestack:

How edgy! I couldn't care less about dimples or any other normal wear. I do care that after a year the playfield is like putty around the posts. I'm not a "toy collector", every game I own is on route for people to play.
Carefull on generalizing people and their place of residence. It's a slippery slope, but hey if you need it to feel good, go for it.

What in god's name are you talking about?

When did I "generalize" about anybody's place of residence? I was responding to the assertion that somehow I should be out partying at 3pm on a work day because I live in NYC instead of making fun of dimples.

Look, you are threatening to start a thread exposing Stern for their putty playfields. You've proven you mean business by posting pics in an unrelated thread.

So I'm just looking forward to the main event. How long does Stern have before you take action? When is the hammer gonna fall?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

10,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethesda, MD
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tinton Falls, NJ
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/look-at-what-a-few-week-old-beatles-playfield-looks-like?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.